j-bar removal

bichuf

I've read on other posts that removing the innards of an Esterbrook is very easy and that it is posted somewhere on this forum. But alas, I have never been able to find instructions on how to do it! I really hate posters who write that it way easy but don't say how or produce a link to it.

Does anyone know how parts inside the barrel of a J can be removed and put back and provide either instructions or a link to where I can find them.

Thanks in advance to all and a Happy New Year!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bichuf

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read on other posts that removing the innards of an Esterbrook is very easy and that it is posted somewhere on this forum. But alas, I have never been able to find instructions on how to do it! I really hate posters who write that it way easy but don't say how or produce a link to it.

Does anyone know how parts inside the barrel of a J can be removed and put back and provide either instructions or a link to where I can find them.

Thanks in advance to all and a Happy New Year!

I've posted directions more than once but like you, I can't seem to find where. I guess I should write it up and save it as a pdf or get that Esterbrook guy to put it on his website. I'm tending to little FarmBoy so this may be scattered but here goes.

Anyway, this post showed up in the search. It will show you what you have inside the pen as a starting point.

To remove the j-bar you will need a long thin needle-nose pliers or a hemostat. Grab the end and pull. I usually try to grab the short end when possible. I insert the j-bar using a rod to push it in place. If you have a J and you want to remove the sac tray you need a small pick and a small hook. Lift the front edge of the tray up as much as possible then hook the back of the tray and pull it out. There is a small rib on the bottom of the tray that sits in the slot cut for the lever retaining clip. To remove the lever push down twist and pull. (yeah I know what exactly did he just say.)

For a J use a #16 sac (1-15/16" long). Make sure and talc up the sac before you put the section assembly back in the barrel. Don't forget to heat the barrel at the threads when removing or inserting the section. This helps prevent cracking.

In the bottom of a J pen you may find a spacer made from wood, cardboard, eraser or something. This was there to act as a stop for the j-bar. I put them back in when I find them.

OK, we ran out of pear slices so I've got to go make more. I hope this gets you started.

T

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Farmboy for your reply and the link to the cross-section of the pen. Very instructive. I had already gone ahead and taken apart one that arrived in a useless state so was going to be used for spares. I decided to work on that one to see how it was built.