Broken lever

AlejoPlay

I am not having much luck with my Esterbrooks. My favorite Red SJ has a broken lever. Is this easy to fix? Should I just buy another one (although this is one so gorgeous, I can't imagine replacing it). Or is it cheap to send to someone for repair?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlejoPlay

• OcalaFlGuy

• holgalee

• Rabbit

Is the actual lever broken, or the J bar that it is pressed up against it broken?

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

IOW AlejoPlay, did the actual lever itself snap or disconnect from the ring that holds it in the pen OR is it just "floppy" and feel like it isn't connected to anything because the j-bar it would usually press against inside the barrel has broken.

It is somewhat unusual to actually break a lever, there are no aftermarket replacements and more available from junked pens than NOS. If the j-bar broke, there are aftermarket replacements and originals from (again) junked pens.

IMO replacing a broken j-bar is easier than a lever. You can easily pull the section and replace a j-bar yourself as could

anyone who works on pens. It would not be that expensive (probably less than $20) to have it done.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Oh, it's the piece the lever attaches to inside. I think the lever came unattached from the piece (J-Bar?) inside.

I'd like to get this repaired because I do love this pen. It was my first Esterbrook and it's still my favorite. The color on it is amazing.

Oh, it's the piece the lever attaches to inside. I think the lever came unattached from the piece (J-Bar?) inside.

I'd like to get this repaired because I do love this pen. It was my first Esterbrook and it's still my favorite. The color on it is amazing.

The lever isn't attached to the j-bar, the end of the lever just swings down and against and presses the j-bar closed to flatten out the sac so that when the lever is released and the bar comes off the sac ink is drawn into the sac through the nib.

There is more (repeated many times in the forum) than ample information here on how to pull the section, resac an Estie and you'll be right there to replace the j-bar. It's so easy a caveman can do it. A caveman with one eye. And probably a few missing fingers. The materials to resac 2 pens (and all but the $2 sacs for MANY more) will cost around $18.00 from Tryphon.

Otherwise you might put a request in the services area or repair area for someone to do it for you. I would think a fair price to resac and re-bar an Estie to be $20-25, the replacement bars themselves are $3.50 from Tryphon.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Otherwise you might put a request in the services area or repair area for someone to do it for you. I would think a fair price to resac and re-bar an Estie to be $20-25, the replacement bars themselves are $3.50 from Tryphon.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Yup. About right.

Now why are you beating up on the Cavemen? You broke a hammer.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

thanks for the help.

i am not up with the terminology. sorry. i'll have to figure out what I want to do.

The lever is attached to a wire ring that "snaps" into a groove inside the barrel. It is simple to remove and replace. Same for the j-bar. I would suggest buying a cheap donor pen on ebay or from someone who has such things and doing the work yourself. It is a great pen to learn on.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

thanks for the help.

i am not up with the terminology. sorry. i'll have to figure out what I want to do.

How about sending me pics of what's up. If I can, I'll advise you on what to do. If not, I'll give you my address, you can send me the piece, and I'll fix it. Been a while since I've done major surgery on an Esty, but it'll come back to me, I'm sure. Sincere offer.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Thanks again guys.

I just had a family emergency and fixing this SJ isn't high on my priority list at the moment, but once things settle down, I will post pics.

If these pens are on the easy side to fix and maintain, it may behoove me to learn. I'm sure I may need to resac one at some point.

I think from what you've described, it'll be an easy fix. The lever just hangs free now and whatever it was attached to has come loose. The pen was an ebay find so I had no idea what condition it was in (although the sac is great and has been for the year or so I've had it).

Update: removed the section and out came two very rusty and almost disintegrating metal parts, which I assume were the bits connected to the lever. The sac is good and the lever is good. So either I need to get it fixed or find a new one (whichever is cheapest). Will look into it in the new year.

Yes, that's definitley the J bar that has broken. It's interesting that the sac is still good though. The sac must have been replaced at some point in time but the J bar not. I still might be tempted to replace the sac "just in case."

Like Bruce said, you can get a new J Bar from Tryphon. You might want to order some sacs and some shellac too if you plan to restore more pens in the future (and take advantage of shipping fees which will probably be the same if you order just one J bar or several small items.)

--Stephen

P.S. I hope your family is doing well.

Edited by Rabbit

I'm not sure what makes a good sac other than it was soft and pliable. Didn't look brittle. I'm not sure how new the sac was (haven't really compared them before.

Yeah, as long as it all feels soft and you don't see any water leaking when you fill it with water it's probaby fine. It probably had an old sac that leaked at one point and rusted the j bar and someone replaced the sac, but since the j bar still worked they did not replace the j bar, then over time as you've used it, the rusty j bar got weak and broke.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a new J-bar from my Estie. Can the Tryphon short one fit or must I get a long one and cut it to size? If the latter, how do I cut it? Thanks.

I don't recall the exact lengths Tryphon offers, but a 52 mm should be just right for any J series Esterbrook.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

Thanks, ZeissIkon! Does the SJ use the same size J bar? I'm getting a bit desperate that my favourite Estie's J-bar broke, and am thinking of canibalizing one from an SJ.

I still haven't gotten this repaired.

(Un)fortunately(?), my newly acquired Sailor Sapporo (which I won in a contest in Dec) has usurped all my other pens. Since December, I rarely feel like using anything else--my Pelikan M205 gets some use here and there, but that's about it.