Van Gogh Minis?

Sirona

Does anyone have a Van Gogh mini? Can you tell me what your experience has been with this pen? I just purchased an Aurora Afrika and don't want to spend too much this time around and so I was thinking of the Van Gogh Mini. Thanks in advance for the feedback! :)

All the soarings of my mind begin in my blood.

- Rainer Maria Rilke

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sirona

• Ghost Plane

• Kamiyashi

• Highbinder

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't actually own one, but I've tried one belonging to a colleague; more importantly, I tried it alongside my Van Gogh midi. I really think you need to feel the pen for yourself before buying it, as I found it much too small for everyday use -- and I have quite small hands. My conclusion was that it would make a very elegant pen for keeping in something like a filofax for occasional jottings, but that I'd be unable to use it for more sustained bouts of writing.

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

That's one of the things that held me back. The Maxi is the perfect pen size for me, so I can't imagine going smaller.

If price is the constraint, have a chat with Bryant at Pentime.net and you may be in for a pleasant surprise.

I have one. I need to post it but I don't consider it a small pen asuch. Its' about the same length as my esterbrook Js, just having a slightly skinnier waist. I think its' a great pen and use it daily.

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

Thanks much for your feedback.

This fountain pen business is getting to be an addiction!!!!!!!!! I can't stop looking and every day I use all of my fountain pens for one thing or another.

My fp collection so far: Aurora Afrika, Cross Apogee, Recife Demonstrator. I will eventually buy a Montegrappa, and probably more than one. And I would like the Van Gogh. I'll let you now what I get.

And I will certainly contact Bryant. Thanks much, everyone.

- Rainer Maria Rilke

Have a look at the Montegrappas on his website while you're at it. Pentime.net

I've bought 3 from him and his prices can't be beat :thumbup:

I own two Minis, both of them rollerballs. I can't see getting an FP in that size as they only have steel nibs and the mini size has been discontinued anyway.

I always have one of the minis in my purse as a backup.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Well, I emailed Bryant and decided on the Maxi Van Gogh in Vanilla. He's quoted me a great price so that's what I'm getting!

I looked at the Montegrappa pens on his site and drooled. I'm sure I'll be back there!!! I'm really pleased.

I'm excited!! :)

Thanks Ghost, Deirdre and everyone else for their feedback.

- Rainer Maria Rilke

May you enjoy yours as much as I have! :thumbup:

Visconti: Aida 0/1871, Amigdala, Black Ripple 4/199, Black Storm 8/88, Blue Ripple 870/999, Blue Symphony 88/208, Carbon Dream 4/993, Chatterley Ripple^3 4/25, Custom Ripple 4/4, D'Essai, Gulliver, Homo Sapien, Metropolis 64/288, Millennium Arc 2/1000, Opera Aqua, Opera Demo 547/888, Opera Nordic^2, Opera Water^2, Pericle^2, Ponte Vecchio^2, Ragtime, Ragtime 1174/1988, Replica, VG Custom^8, VG Demo^2, VG Green^2, VG Red, VG Vanilla^3, Versailles 317/365, Viscontina 39/188, Voyager^2

I received my vanilla Van Gogh Maxi today and I love it! It feels just wonderful in my hand. Now I have to decide whether to use Visconti turquoise ink or Noodler's Shah's Rose. Decisions, decisions, decisions. :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

- Rainer Maria Rilke

I'd go for Visconti Turquoise, myself. It's a nice, bright, vivid color, worthy of inducting a new pen! :thumbup:

Visconti: Aida 0/1871, Amigdala, Black Ripple 4/199, Black Storm 8/88, Blue Ripple 870/999, Blue Symphony 88/208, Carbon Dream 4/993, Chatterley Ripple^3 4/25, Custom Ripple 4/4, D'Essai, Gulliver, Homo Sapien, Metropolis 64/288, Millennium Arc 2/1000, Opera Aqua, Opera Demo 547/888, Opera Nordic^2, Opera Water^2, Pericle^2, Ponte Vecchio^2, Ragtime, Ragtime 1174/1988, Replica, VG Custom^8, VG Demo^2, VG Green^2, VG Red, VG Vanilla^3, Versailles 317/365, Viscontina 39/188, Voyager^2

Altho' it's fun to go with shades to pick up swirls in the pen - Shoreline Gold, Ambre di Birmanie [probably misspelled that one], Lie de The'... :thumbup:

I own two Minis, both of them rollerballs. I can't see getting an FP in that size as they only have steel nibs and the mini size has been discontinued anyway.

I always have one of the minis in my purse as a backup.

Like I said before I love my VG mini however I do think I'd prefer one of the larger variants - I have yet been able to find a converter than fits my mini. So on that note, if anyone reading this fancies swapping a midi or maxi for my mini (and I'll obviously put a bit of extra cash in to make it fair) just send me a PM!

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to decide today because I want to use my new pen to finish writing a letter to a pen pal.

- Rainer Maria Rilke