Resealing Cartridges

Everette

I was just wondering if it was possible to reseal a cartridge of ink so that it's still useable later. I have a Lamy cartridge of blue ink, and while I'm not extremely fond of the colour, I don't want to waste perfectly good ink.

Thanks,

Shane

"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre," Ford muttered to himself, "and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes." - Life, The Universe, and Everything

Twitter

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Possum Hill

• Everette

• WillSW

• shaylenwilliams

There have been discussions in the past on how to manage this. What appears the most reliable is, if you have the correct cartridge type, to obtain little plastic plugs that fit snugly into the cartridge neck. Fill the cartridge, slip in the plug, and when ready to use the cart, just pull the plug out and stuff it into the empty before plugging the full cartridge into the pen. McMaster-Carr was the source, as I recall; if you do a search for that name, you'll most likely find the post with their part number.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

Past discussions also mentioned the use of sticky-tack (a modeling-clay-like plastic). Just pinch off a small piece, roll into a ball, and seal the cartridge. Works pretty well for me.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Thanks guys! Very helpful information. I went the safe route and found a little stopper around the house and used that. Seems to be working ok.

"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre," Ford muttered to himself, "and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes." - Life, The Universe, and Everything

Twitter

Most cartrdiges won't spill if you just let them sit in a box, in a horizontal position.

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Most cartrdiges won't spill if you just let them sit in a box, in a horizontal position.

But they will evaporate, and they will splash if shaken.

• 11 months later...

Sealing wax?? I'm a vintage pen person perfectly happy to be covered in ink, but I'm giving a Sheaffer cartridge pen to someone who won't even fuss with a converter. Since Sheaffer has their own proprietary cartridges, that really limits the possible colors. I wanted to give him some extras with a greater variety of inks, and I have lots of old desiccated cartridges I could use, but again, this is someone who doesn't want to fuss (he's my surgeon, and other patients might not be happy to see green fingers on their doctor!) Anyone tried sealing wax?

ciao,

Gretchen

Yes, I have successfully used sealing-wax on previously-used cartridges.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Sealing wax?? I'm a vintage pen person perfectly happy to be covered in ink, but I'm giving a Sheaffer cartridge pen to someone who won't even fuss with a converter. Since Sheaffer has their own proprietary cartridges, that really limits the possible colors. I wanted to give him some extras with a greater variety of inks, and I have lots of old desiccated cartridges I could use, but again, this is someone who doesn't want to fuss (he's my surgeon, and other patients might not be happy to see green fingers on their doctor!) Anyone tried sealing wax?

ciao,

Gretchen

Red fingers would disturb me -- anything else is OK.

If the empty Sheaffer cartridges you have are the type that seal with a plastic bead, you can re-seal them with a bead, 2.5mm or .1 inch diameter. You can buy ball bearings of that size, and probably plastic beads if you know where to look. You can also cut open a cartridge to get the bead to seal another. International cartridges use the same size bead.

If you re-seal a cartridge often enough you'll end up with a cartridge full of beads -- then it's time to cut it open and recover the beads.

Hello Shane,

Would these work (just trim to fit)?

Twist-n-Seal® Stopper

http://www.leevalley...cat=1,110,42967

Thanks,

Mike

Those look like they might work for a lot of cartridges. International and Sheaffer cartridges might be a little too small, but maybe not. Everything bigger looks like a good possibility.

I actually punctured a brand new Lamy cart last night and flushed it so I could put something else in it. :embarrassed_smile: Color me wasteful and impatient.

Also, the redneck/hillbilly in me says surely duct tape would do??? :eureka:

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Hello Shane,

Would these work (just trim to fit)?

Twist-n-Seal® Stopper

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=62622&cat=1,110,42967

Thanks,

Mike

Maybe for a single re-fill. It says that those deform the softer plastic to create a threaded effect, I don't imagine that's good for the seal the cartridge needs to make on the pen. I just ordered some of the McMaster Carr ones, I'll let people know how they go.

I would be chary of using any soft compound such as putty, wax or Blu-Tac for fear that residue would bung up the spigot in the section when I re-inserted the cartridge. I have used a scrap of cling film with a rubber band round it, and the cart stood upright in a glass. It's fiddly but it works, and it's safe.

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.