Until Utopia Bagasse Paper Review

Passion

The full review with pictures can be found on my blog:

http://penarchives.blogspot.com/2009/10/until-utopia-bagassa-paper-review.html

A wonderful member of The Fountain Pen Network posted asking if anyone wanted to review some paper that he thought was better then Staple's Bagasse paper. Being the pen and paper addict that I am, I jumped at the chance and he sent me a pad of lined paper and a mini-pad of blank.

This paper is much whiter then the Bagasse paper from Staples and it's thicker as well. We're not talking Clairefontaine thick, but there is much less show-through. The pad is narrow-ruled and 11.75 inches tall and 8.25 inches wide. The smaller, plain pad is a 5 inch square.

This paper is absolutly fountain pen friendly and as soon as it becomes available I highly recommend you purchase it. The only downside might be the slightly longer size of the paper and the fact that there are only 2 hole punches. This would only affect you if you use a binder.

Disclaimer: I recieved this from someone to review for free, but my review remains unbiased.

This is my first review on FPN so tell me if I did anything wrong or if you have any questions.

"Catch them quickly before they fly away. I'm blowing scattered thoughts in your direction."

- Sarah Yhann

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Passion

• lecorbusier

• jimhughes

• Bipedallou

Great review, Passion. I have been reading about this paper and am excited about using it. However, somewhere in my cluttered, dysfunctional mind I was certain it could not really be any good. Thanks to your review, I will by it confident that it is a paper I will like and enjoy using. Thank you.

-gross

Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

Glad to hear it helped you :).

"Catch them quickly before they fly away. I'm blowing scattered thoughts in your direction."

- Sarah Yhann

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Thanks for the informative review. I just wish someone would package this paper without notebook holes, or margin line, as a pad of writing paper.

"The surface is all you've got. You can only get beyond the surface by working with the surface." ~Richard Avedon

Thanks for the review. Do you have any more information about this particular brand? Or it's availability? My googling was not productive.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

Thanks for that, but I have to say, I like that Staples Bagasse is not white. Where would we find it?

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

I too like the slightly off-white Staples paper color, and the very faint brown lines done in vegetable ink.

I would like to try some blank paper that's large enough to fit through my printer, since I like to add my own lines or graph, or even my own stationery.

I also did a Search for Until Utopia Bagasse Paper and came up wanting, came up with way too many topics totally unrelated to who manufactures this and where to get it.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Thanks Passion for your kind review! And thank you, everyone, for your interest. I am working on the launch of this product--which will be launched here at FPN first (the sales corner) by the first week of November--and I certainly hope my bagasse/accessory product design will not disappoint the FP user in us all!

Hence at the moment there is no website (yet). But I will gladly take any feedback or questions you may have at my email: untilutopia@gmail.com for now.

Here's a montage of the sample:

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3988/spa0493.jpg

Shot with SAMSUNG at 2009-10-05

'lecorbusier'

AAA

Thanks for answering their questions lecorbusier and I'm glad to hear that it will soon be available at FPN.

- Sarah Yhann

• 1 month later...

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2623/paperniceshot1.jpg

Shot at 2009-11-14

I have already placed these pocket notepads on sale at the For Sales forum.

Each pocket notepad is 3.4" x 5.5" with a stock white embossed cover. Perfect and handy for

writing on the move. Absolutely fountain pen friendly. There are 50 white sheets in each pad.

Thank you for everyone's patience and I hope you enjoy these products.

AAA

Each pocket notepad is 3.4" x 5.5" with a stock white embossed cover. Perfect and handy for

writing on the move. Absolutely fountain pen friendly. There are 50 white sheets in each pad.

Very interesting, and since some of our FPNers have been finding that the Staples Eco-Friendly papers are proving to be somewhat inconsistent in quality, this may prove a viable alternative. I will go in search of the thread that will tell me how to acquire some of the small pads, (I've never purchased anything through FPN and for now I'm in the dark as to how to go about it, so perhaps you might post a link to the quickest way there?).

Also, is it possible that you might come out with these small pads in a narrow lined edition? (Staples small pads are wide lined and I won't buy them for that reason!) And if you are making the 8 1/2 x 11 sheets (in pad form) could they not be made with the standard three-holed punch in addition, or even rather than, the two-holed?

Lou

Very interesting, and since some of our FPNers have been finding that the Staples Eco-Friendly papers are proving to be somewhat inconsistent in quality, this may prove a viable alternative. I will go in search of the thread that will tell me how to acquire some of the small pads, (I've never purchased anything through FPN and for now I'm in the dark as to how to go about it, so perhaps you might post a link to the quickest way there?).

Also, is it possible that you might come out with these small pads in a narrow lined edition? (Staples small pads are wide lined and I won't buy them for that reason!) And if you are making the 8 1/2 x 11 sheets (in pad form) could they not be made with the standard three-holed punch in addition, or even rather than, the two-holed?

Lou

Lou:

I've got some on order now from Jeff. He's got an ad on the FPN Sales subforum. Look back 3 or 4 days. Took me awhile to find it, but I'm excited to have some on the way. Jeff's a very flexible and courteous businessman I'm sure hed be glad to work with you on your specific needs. His prices are incredibly GREAT. If you can't find the ad, drop him a PM thru FPN using his FPN name. Click on his name on this series of notes, ie lec.... and up will come a series of choices . One says "Send a message" Click on that and he'll get right back to you. Don't forget Singapore is a time zone or two delay vs us. You can tell him what you need, he'll figure up the bill and you pay through your PayPal account. I know you'll find him great to do business with, Jim

Lou:

I've got some on order now from Jeff. He's got an ad on the FPN Sales subforum. Look back 3 or 4 days. Took me awhile to find it, but I'm excited to have some on the way. Jeff's a very flexible and courteous businessman I'm sure hed be glad to work with you on your specific needs. His prices are incredibly GREAT. If you can't find the ad, drop him a PM thru FPN using his FPN name. Click on his name on this series of notes, ie lec.... and up will come a series of choices . One says "Send a message" Click on that and he'll get right back to you. Don't forget Singapore is a time zone or two delay vs us. You can tell him what you need, he'll figure up the bill and you pay through your PayPal account. I know you'll find him great to do business with, Jim

Thanks Jim, I did manage to find the thread with this Until Utopia paper for sale, (it was a few pages down). For now I will just keep it in mind, and keep a watch of what sizes and styles are added. I feel fairly comfortable that dealing with members of FPN is safe enough, but I have little need for this type of pad at the moment, (too much paper on hand since I panicked and bought a bit of the Staples brand before it disappeared or a lesser quality stock came in).

Again thank you for you helpful and encouraging response, which as usual demonstrates the courteousness of the members of FPN.

Lou