G. Lalo Verge De France Writing Tablet

Gran

Another review of this paper:

Here's the catalogue at Exaclair.

The paper is a handy size for writing, 5 3/4" x 8 1/4", when in a waiting room or wherever a desk isn't handy. The cardboard back of the tablet is just barely stiff enough to use without a book or other steady surface underneath.

It feels nice in the hand and is attractive.

The tablet makes an uneven writing surface. Whether using a lap desk, or writing on a proper desk, the edge of the tablet is uncomfortable, especially when getting to the bottom of the page. Editing to add: It is much easier to write with using one page at a time. Thank you, GreenVelvet, for pointing out that one can just tear off the sheets!)

The textured surface of the paper, while nice to look at, is rough going for a fine or extra-fine nib.

The back of the paper is just as scratchy and difficult to write on.

The ivory color is a yellow ivory, and a tad darker than what I think of as ivory. It would show off very dark or bright inks.

Using a broader nib, it might be easier to write on. Using a felt-tip pen, or something similar, it would be enjoyable writing.

As attractive as the paper is, it doesn't suit my writing needs.

Full review

at my new blog.

Please forgive the horrid photographs. I'm still very much at the beginning of this digital "stuff". I'll replace the wretched photo with a better one, once I've learned how.

Edited by Gran

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gran

• GreenVelvet

• Margana

• Ondina

I never use this as a journal or place for collected thoughts, I only use this paper for letter-writing. As such, I tear off a sheet before writing on it, and the thickness of the pad is not an issue.

I've heard other people say they don't like this laid paper for fine or extra-fine nibs, but I don't have that experience. I find it handles extra-fine nibs quite nicely. YMMV!

GV, what ink do you use? Maybe your pen is much smoother than mine, too.

I'm so glad this paper works well for you. It is very pretty paper.

Nice review. :) Doesn't G. Lalo stationery come in pretty colors?

Based on tests I did a few months ago, performance did vary between versions. It took a little trial and error with different inks and pens to get several good match-ups but in the end I was happy with the results.

Edited by Margana

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

GV, what ink do you use? Maybe your pen is much smoother than mine, too.

I'm so glad this paper works well for you. It is very pretty paper.

What ink? Oh man, who knows. I've got over 20. I tend to like wetter inks and wet nibs, and most of my XF are fairly smooth - but also most of my pens are inexpensive. Everyone's different for texture preference, though. My basis for comparison is Crane's, which is so thick and plush that my XF nibs get caught in it. THAT I can't write on with the superfine ones, but I love the G. Lalo. Caveat - Clairfontaine Triomphe is still much smoother. :-)

GV, yes, I've read that the Crane catches the nibs.

I've only read good reports about the Clairefontaine Triomphe.

I tried a Sheaffer Lady Balance, F, Lifetime two-tone nib

Pilot 78G, F (really very XF)

Wearever Steno, an amazingly smooth nib

Parker 45 modern XF (really an F), a smooth, wet nib

Waterman Ideal flex (52 1/2 V)

No-name button filler F with a bit of flex and very wet

Sheaffer Holly, a modern Triumph Imperial, M

Esterbrook 9450, 9550, 9556

Sheaffer cartridge pens in 304, F, and XF. One of those is butter smooth.

I tried Visconti, Quink, Herbin, Skrip and Pelikan and mixes of those.

I just didn't enjoy the paper the way I do ultra-smooth papers. Wish I did, as it's very nice paper.

Do you mind posting what you enjoy using on textured papers?

Margana, do you remember which combinations work the best?

Edited by Gran

Margana, do you remember which combinations work the best?

I wrote a review with images here. Do any of them appeal to you?

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Margana, your photos are wonderful. You do have a few choices there.

Thanks much for posting the link.

I tried a Sheaffer Lady Balance, F, Lifetime two-tone nib

Pilot 78G, F (really very XF)

Wearever Steno, an amazingly smooth nib

Parker 45 modern XF (really an F), a smooth, wet nib

Waterman Ideal flex (52 1/2 V)

No-name button filler F with a bit of flex and very wet

Sheaffer Holly, a modern Triumph Imperial, M

Esterbrook 9450, 9550, 9556

Sheaffer cartridge pens in 304, F, and XF. One of those is butter smooth.

I tried Visconti, Quink, Herbin, Skrip and Pelikan and mixes of those.

Do you mind posting what you enjoy using on textured papers?

Of what you listed above, I regularly use a Pilot 78G, Esterbrook 9556 (and 2550) and Sheaffer cartridge pen XF. I don't use any of the inks you list except the occasional Herbin; I use mostly Noodlers, PR, Waterman and Diamine. Currently in my finest nibs are PR Blue Suede (Sailor Ballerie EF), Noodler's Squeteague (Pelikan M200 XXXF/Binder-ized), PR Ebony Green (Pilot 78G F), PR Ebony Blue (Lamy Al-Star EF), Noodler's Lexington Gray (Guanleming XF), Waterman Black (Esterbrook 2550), Diamine Monaco Red (Esterbrook 9048), PR Purple Haze (Pilot Penmanship XF), Noodler's Violet Vote (Sheaffer cartridge XF), Noodler's Tiananmen (Hero 329 Fineline) - and I don't have a problem with any of them on the Verge de France.

I have been told I have a very light touch when writing (a la Susan Wirth) if that has anything to do with it, but it doesn't really feel that way to me.

GV, thanks for posting about your pens and inks. Waterman and Diamine are on my wish list.

I've discovered that I barely touch the pen to the paper, as one does with a dip pen. I didn't realize I wrote more lightly than some others until I visited a pen show last spring. Was very interesting to see different ones trying out pens.

It's lovely that there are so many choices.

Thanks again for your post. I like reading of what others use and how they like this and that.

Edited by Gran

This is a paper I enjoy so much.....hard to get for me, but lovely. Textured papers are much appreciated, while more glossy coated ones are not. Thank youf or the review and congratulations on the blog.

I alternate between G. Lalo and Basildon Bond for letter writing. G. Lalo was my first "exotic" paper and works well with all my medium nibs and italic nibs, no scratching. I use regular Waterman and Skrip inks, nothing fancy here. I often use my lap desk to write while sitting in a cozy chair by the fireplace.

I've been away for some time and this is my first post in months. I have been on the forum occasionally but always busy with something else, never getting into it. Summer activities are coming to an end and it's time to return to winter pastimes such as pens and paper, calligraphy and so on.

Hello everyone.

Henrico

I alternate between G. Lalo and Basildon Bond for letter writing. G. Lalo was my first "exotic" paper and works well with all my medium nibs and italic nibs, no scratching. I use regular Waterman and Skrip inks, nothing fancy here. I often use my lap desk to write while sitting in a cozy chair by the fireplace.

I've been away for some time and this is my first post in months. I have been on the forum occasionally but always busy with something else, never getting into it. Summer activities are coming to an end and it's time to return to winter pastimes such as pens and paper, calligraphy and so on.

Hello everyone.

Henrico

Hello, Henrico! How nice to read your post!

Edited by Gran

I do love these tablets. I primarily use them for writing letters to my wife, but have written a couple of thank you letters with them as well! For the letters to my wife, I usually use a Parker "51" Special with Noodler's Walnut as she likes that color and likes thin lines. Don't have any problems using the XF nib on the special while writing on the pad!

Currently inked pens:

• Pelikan M205 Amethyst [F] (Noodler's Manhattan Blue)
  • Shaeffer PFM II Blue (Private Reserve Naples Blue)
  • Lamy 2000 [binder Italifine 0.7/0.5] (J. Herbin Vert Empire)
  • Waterman Ideal N° 01855 (Noodler's Walnut)
  • Pilot Vanishing Point Mustard [binder Stub Italic 0.6] (Noodler's Walnut)