Rotring ART PEN (EF)

r1chard

This is not a review but an article about disassembling the Rotring Art Pen.

Most of you who are reading this post probably have an Art Pen. I recently got a used set from eBay, the world's biggest junk shop. The ink had dried, many years ago. Cleaning it is a challenge.

Not all of us know that it can be disassembled, which makes the cleaning process easier. No more overnight dipping on warm water, or running tap water on it, even blowing on it.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8025/sdc15146.jpg

The black plastic thing together with the metal nib (see top of the photo) can be removed from the plastic grip by carefully pulling it out.

You can clean it in a running water (don't drop the nib on the sink!). Remove all the ink, then dry with a tissue. Let it sit in a room until completely dry, and then put it back (so remember how it looked when you pull it out).

Get a fresh cartridge ink and try it. Good as new. New ink not mixing with the old ink - particularly useful when changing ink color.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/341/sdc15161.jpg

Edited by r1chard

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sotto2

• r1chard

• OceanBlue

• sharpclaw

Was this the pen that was gunked with dried ink? If so, then you did an amazing job in cleaning it! It looks new!

And great information on how to take the pen apart. I generally feel comfortable about taking pens apart, but I know that some people do not feel so comfortable or do not even suspect that the pens can come apart. Great work! :thumbup:

Hey, Richard,

I won't believe you cleaned up that pen unless you give me a before shot! Great job!

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

It's just the nib/grip part that has dried ink. The barrel and the cap seems okay but has some scratches due to age/use.

I guess disassembling it removes most of the dried ink. you can see in the first photo there are still some specially in hard to reach places.

trivia: the set that I got includes this Art Pen (EF) and the Art Pencil :thumbup:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_y-lvkFCEo-I/SpGywmzGuWI/AAAAAAAAAY4/ET4KuenWtsM/s400/Rotring%20Art%20Pencil.JPG

Edited by r1chard

• 2 weeks later...

You know what? this thread helped me a lot!

Suggestion: for somebody who (like me) never disassembled a pen before, try putting a piece of doubled tape on the nib and pulling gently :)

• 10 months later...

This was a thorough and nice.

From my experience there two types of cleaning a stuck fountain pen:

- "quick and dirty" - leave the front part - the nib and the holder in a small vessel with water and alchohol and then try washing with hot water.

- disasamble as above - but this is not always applicable and you can easily ruin the nib and the holder.

=)

This was a thorough and nice.

From my experience there two types of cleaning a stuck fountain pen:

- "quick and dirty" - leave the front part - the nib and the holder in a small vessel with water and alchohol and then try washing with hot water.

- disasamble as above - but this is not always applicable and you can easily ruin the nib and the holder.

=)

I wouldn't use alcohol on any plastic I cared about. It can damage it permanently.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Oh, and thanks for this thread. I have some Artpens and will benefit from this info.

I also want to saw one off shorter so I can carry it like a regular fountain pen. I'd like to know what people have used, or suggest, as a "jewel" to fill the hole in the end of the barrel where it's sawed off. I heard someone say they just use the jewel from the end of a Bic pen, but I want something a little more elegant.

Many years ago I worked in a graphic art/drawing office equipment showroom and saw the first Rotring artpens when they came out and purchased two of them. I still have one (don't know what happened to the other) Rotring brought out a whetstone for the artpen, to smooth and adjust the nib to ones own requirements. These were in incredibly short supply and it took the rotring rep. months to get one for me. I don't think we ever had any of the whetstones to sell.I too had the idea of shortening them to fit in with my other pens, but I never actually did it.Nice to see the artpen still around and in use. :thumbup:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

I used to own one of these pens but I gave it away. Sometimes I wish I hadn't. They are cool little art pens.

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I believe I have seen the Artpens in a kit of some kind with the whetstone at an artstore recently. Maybe it was Blick's here in the US.

Maybe I was dreaming, though, too.

Oh, and I think any decent fine Arkansas style stone will do the trick, polished off by a session on an extra fine white ceramic stone or some other superfine polishing surface.

(Subsequent edit) Whew, I was not dreaming:

Artpen set with whetstone and polishing leather.

Edited by sotto2

I had one of these--really peaked my interest for fountain pens. I remember the cap being able to be posted which i was always fascinated by how they designed it to work!

www.stevelightart.com

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the information. I have a small set of calligraphy pens (1.9, 2.3 and 2.7)and I want to clean them thoroughly. Very good pictures and tips!

I just cleaned my Art Pens using this post, so thanks! I hadn't used these great pens in a long time, because

the tiny little cartridges were driving me crazy.

UNTIL---I discovered that John Neal carries a converter for the Art Pen. (not affiliated w/ them)

It hasn't arrived yet but I'm hoping it works well and holds lots of ink.

Very helpful stuff here.

• 5 months later...

Thank you for all the information on cleaning a Rotring Art Pen nib. I was able to take mine apart and clean it out, including many leftovers from the latest dose of Winsor and Newton green Calligraphy ink (LOTS of sediments). Problem: I can't get it to go back together right. I'm putting feeder in flat side up, but the nib goes in too far. Reexamining and comparing it to another Art Pen, I see that the feeder is not going in far enough--am I missing some notch at the back of the section, inside, that I can't see? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Pelikan m200, Rotring M, Rotring 0.9 ground to perfection, Rotring other broad nibs, Luoshi,unidentified old Sheaffer student pen M, Hero with ducks painted on it F, many calligraphy Sheaffer No Nonsense's, Kaweco Classic Sport M, Nemosine Singularity F, J. Herbin refillable rollerball, Pilot Metropolitan M; love old pens and various inks--in it for the writing and drawing.

• 6 months later...

Rotrings are among the most reliable and forgiving fountain pens ever. It is too bad there is no reasonable looking short Artpen type product available in the US--the Rotring Cores look like spaceships, but I would carry one if I could find one at a reasonable price, if they write like Artpens. Cannot stand the thought of sawing one off, though I found the idea intriguing when I first read it above. It's actually a nicely balanced pen in its long form, but I don't usually take it out of the house unless I'm going to be among calligraphers and artists. Not an inconspicuous pen to write with if you are in other public contexts. Thanks for the posts.

By "double tape" around nib, do you mean scotch tape? I don't have the biggest or strongest fingers, so I would like a safe way of taking apart a pen nib, because I like cleaning my pens myself and would like to learn a bit more about repair. Would wrapping a cloth and pulling gently with tiny pliers (or something) work?

Most helpful information shared. Thank you.

Pelikan m200, Rotring M, Rotring 0.9 ground to perfection, Rotring other broad nibs, Luoshi,unidentified old Sheaffer student pen M, Hero with ducks painted on it F, many calligraphy Sheaffer No Nonsense's, Kaweco Classic Sport M, Nemosine Singularity F, J. Herbin refillable rollerball, Pilot Metropolitan M; love old pens and various inks--in it for the writing and drawing.

Would wrapping a cloth and pulling gently with tiny pliers (or something) work?

Well, that's what I do but just with my fingers. Perhaps a little more force than just 'gentle', pliers would probably work too.

Remember to insert the feed and nib in correctly when reassembling as there's a rectangular slot for the nib and the circular slot for the feed.