Review Oxford Activebook

woodworker

Hmmmm well....... it is my first review of a Notebook. So please give me some feedback I can use.

You can find the review on my blog Inkyjournal where the pictures can be enlarged. You can also find me on Twitter.

This notebook is called Collegeblock Oxford "Activebook". Oxford calls itself The European Premium Brand. Well it is not English, the brand comes from Germany and is part of the Hamelin Paperbrands GmbH.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2529/3704110659_a73b031929.jpg

Facts:

The "Activebook" is a so called Twin Wire Notebook with 80 pages 80 gram/m2. You can get it in DIN A4 and DIN A5, both in squared 5mm and ruled 6mm. In the picture you see the black-version. They also have an orange version. On one side it is microperforated, and is punched with four holes. It has a repositionable flexible bookmark divider and integrated pocket for storing notes, business cards, invoices etc. It is a professional notebook with a hard-wearing polypropylene cover. Twin-wire binding allows books to lay flat on desktops. Framed pages are oversized, punched and perforated for easy filing as standard size sheets. It has the same height as a Moleskine Large notebook but is one inch broader. This book costs about € 9,= or $ 6,50

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2565/3704919784_56b827ba3a.jpg

Oxford calls this book a book ..... "for demanding and well organized people and acadamics". Well what a lyric.

Paper:

The paper is smooth! Very smooth, no bleedtrough with any ink I know. The paper has a somehow slippery surface, so it takes a while for most fountainpen inks to dry. I never wrote on Rhodia paper but when I read stories about it I think the paper is comparable to Rhodia paper.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3468/3704978576_b6785dda39.jpg

Details

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2297/3704111021_1b3beb4086_m.jpg

In the front their is a little pocket for storing notes, business cards, invoices etc.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2585/3704110483_33cb875756_m.jpg

The repositionable flexible bookmark divider comes in very handy. Especially when you bought two books. Because you then have two dividers wich you can carry on to the next book.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3453/3704920446_40ce48d397_m.jpg

In the front just before the pocket you find a time-zone table.

How I used it:

I used this Activebook on sales meetings with my clients. Between two clients I moved the divider to the next clean page. Back in the office I teared out all the notes and archived them in the clients dossier. Last two or three months I made a switch to Moleskine Black books which have the advantage of having all the notes at hand in one book. I often think back on this lovely book, with no bleed trough paper.

I give it an 8,5 of 10 points

That was the first one guys, how can I improve my reviewing? If you like it visit my blog.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ondina

• agchristie

• cuchullan

• woodworker

nice review, had been wondering about the activebooks.

I personally love the oxford paper. It is better than clairefontaine and rhodia. The normal notebooks actually even have 90g/m paper which is very nice and smooth. On this paper ink actually drys very quickly but this is maybe due to my writing with f and ef nibs. These notebooks are also far cheaper than clairefontaine and rhodia even though same or more quality paper.

Just trying to find an unlined version now for letter writing.

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng

Another one that thinks Oxford paper is even better than Clairefontaine's. The format of the notebook is nice. 9€ / $12.70 is pricey, though.

One problem I've noticed with Oxford notebooks over the years has been the different texture on the front and back sides of a sheet. How is thise book?

My Website

ive never had that problem with oxford notebooks although i havent tried this activebook yet.

But 9 euros is a bit expensive. I could get it usually for i think 5 euros.

just saw the reviewer wrote 9$!!! not 9 euros

Edited by silexink

ive never had that problem with oxford notebooks although i havent tried this activebook yet.

But 9 euros is a bit expensive. I could get it usually for i think 5 euros.

just saw the reviewer wrote 9$!!! not 9 euros

This book costs about € 9,= or $ 6,50
?

woodworker mixed up the $ sign and the euro sign!

woodworker mixed up the $ sign and the euro sign!

You're probably right, but online cheapest price to be found is 6.89 Pounds plus shipping per unit unless you buy 5 unit packs, which brings down the price but still pretty close to 9€ per unit. http://www1.uk.shopping.com/-oxford+activebook

Are they more reasonably priced where you live? Yes, German online shops list them quite more reasonable http://www.priz24.de/oxford-international-...-1-p-11876.html

Anyone knows if they can be found in North America?

• 2 years later...

I went into Heidelberg an University town, and could not find any Oxford Optic by Landre`. I'd called up everywhere first. Some said we have lots of paper...but none of the Oxford Optic.

If this is part of the Hamelin Paperbrands GmbH, good...

Oxford Optic is a 90 gram school kid booklet of 16 pages some one sent me from Frankfurt.

I will order some A4 by mail.

It is a real good paper. I think it is as good as regular Clairefontain Vekiyte` 90 gram.

It is cheaper than Clairefontain.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I went into Heidelberg an University town, and could not find any Oxford Optic by Landre`. I'd called up everywhere first. Some said we have lots of paper...but none of the Oxford Optic.

If this is part of the Hamelin Paperbrands GmbH, good...

Oxford Optic is a 90 gram school kid booklet of 16 pages some one sent me from Frankfurt.

I will order some A4 by mail.

It is a real good paper. I think it is as good as regular Clairefontain Vekiyte` 90 gram.

It is cheaper than Clairefontain.

I've been purchasing Oxford Optik Paper 90g/m2 here, in São Paulo. The paper is at the same level as Rhodia and Clairefontaine (R&C). In my opinion, it's closer to Clairefontaine than Rhodia, in terms of smoothness. Feathering and bleeding/ show-through also is close to R&C, almost none, even with my wettest broad stubs.

Only pay attention to not buy the Oxford A4 Notepad 80g/m2 80sheets, because it's a sh*t!! I purchased 3 of them and I can't use. :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: The front of the paper is ok, but not so smooth as the regular Optik Paper. The back is the hell, prone to feathering/ bleeding and very rough. Those A4 Notepad, in fact, are not made with the Optik Paper.

• 11 months later...

The Oxford brand is very much underrated IMO. The paper is definitely as good and FP friendly as Rhodia - I have a webbie and an activebook. Probably Oxford does not get the credit here on FPN because it is less oriented to the creative professions than it is to students and maybe business people? Anyway, highly recommended to FP users as there is no bleed through nor feathering.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks very attractive.

Is there U.S. availability?

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a case of Croxley Script paper from the same parent company, and it's lovely watermarked stuff - sadly, it seems to be discontinued, as I picked it up at about 80% below retail and everywhere seems to have stopped selling it. For reference, Hamelin Paperbrands also make Basildon Bond stationery - all their stuff seems to be lovely and FP-friendly, at least the ones I've used. I'm not sure it's the same paper, but it's all quality stuff.