From Chaos...

M4R1N4

Ok, so the story is, I recently acquired my first Parker Vac from a fellow FPNer (green/gray stripe) and have been fooling with it for a month or so, but no ink that I put in it looked like it belonged (Vac Lesson #1: Pick a color and stick with it since they are a hassle to flush :blush: )

So today I decided I would mix up a color to look nice in it. I thought of Zhivago first, but I knew it would be too dark (I kinda wanted to match the greeny-gray stripes). Then I thought I would add some Zhivago to Diamine Emerald to see what that gave me. After trying a few mixes, I settled for one, and proceeded to load him up. For some UNGODLY reason, I slightly let go of the back end of the pen while it was in my shot-glass-sized ink cup, and of course the nib end flipped up and sprayed me (my jeans and my "one-of-my-favorites" blue and white striped t shirt :angry: )

So my clothes are in the washing machine but there is nice ink in my pen :)9

The color in the pic didn't turn out too well, but if you know the color of a greeny-gray striped Vac, I matched it pretty well. The top-most swatches are the Zhivago and Diamine Emerald in their natural states, then below are my trials. The colors aren't 100% unfortunately. I have the hardest time correcting greens! Anyway, that's my day-off-work adventure. Fin.

http://static.flickr.com/49/152770165_dc466a86a7_o.jpg

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• M4R1N4

• Margana

• Goodwhiskers

• Ink Stained Wretch

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work. Sorry about the clothes. Being creative can be messy but so worth it.

What is the difference between the two samples in each color? The Zhivago looks so pale in the first and dark in the second that it could be two different colors.

Like you I have a recently acquired green striped Vac but lacking a preferred green ink, I opted for PR Gray Flannel. I like your solution better. :doh:

Edited by Margana

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Congrats on the mix and the new pen. Very nicely done.

OTOH, hate to be the one to mention this, but you aren't expecting the ink to come out of those clothes, are you? The waterproof Noodlers component won't (trust me on this one!). Sorry. :(

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Oh, the difference between the two swatches are "dry-er Q-Tip" with a "wetter Q-Tip" below it, just to show the range of the ink shading. I do this for my own purposes so I can know what the ink really looks like. If it is just a wet swatch it looks almost black, but since some pens are drier, it is nice to know how it looks. Does this make sense? I can't seem to explain myself too well today.

Edited by M4R1N4

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

Southpaw, no I wasn't expecting much, but I ripped (no, not really) off my shirt and put some cold water on it, then drowned the spots in some Zout! and most of it came out before I put it in the washer. I could care less about my jeans, but I love that little shirt! Zout! has performed a couple miracles before (one with ink, but not a Noodler's with a black component.) We'll see how it turns out!

- Socrates

Update: brought to you by the letter Z, the number 4, and Zout stain remover...

After the first washing it is almost out. There are two light traces of black that are presently soaking themselves like Madge's customers... ("You're soaking in it!!")

In the photos you can see the two spots - they look darker in the first one, and more accurate in the 2nd. Southpaw cross your fingers!!

http://static.flickr.com/50/152796770_feed91a6a9_o.jpg http://static.flickr.com/49/152796697_2fbe9087aa_o.jpg

Anyway, that's enough of this nonesense :D

- Socrates

Thanks for the explanation. No problem understanding it.

According to Pendemonium Diamine Emerald is "not waterproof" and Zhivago is "not permanent." So did the ink come out in the wash?

A certified Inkophile

Update: brought to you by the letter Z, the number 4, and Zout stain remover...

:roflmho:

OK, now I have to edit the quip after my signature to, ". . . better than most television programming" (italics here to show changes, not in the final result) :D .

Edited by Goodwhiskers

After the 2nd wash in cold water, the ink is gone!! YAY!!

:bunny1: :roflmho: :rolleyes: B)

...and all the other "happy" emoticons!!

- Socrates

Gone?! Wow! Congratulations! Treating the stain heavily before it dried, and having it come from a mixture in which cellulose-reactive dye is not the majority dye (or not much of a majority), seem to have been the keys.

Noodler's (and Noodler's merchants') caution with claims in advertising is well-founded. Zhivago is not advertised as waterproof, never mind eternal or bulletproof.

Of course, it would be a self-defeating method of forgery to snatch a paper document out of its author's hands before all the ink dried, soak part of it in remover liquid, put the whole page through some equivalent of machine washing with detergent, and repeat those two steps :rolleyes: .

Edited by Goodwhiskers

I almost felt compelled to take a picture of the cuff on my best Jeans, recently adourned with Tahitian Pearl Blue-Black. I wear it proudly. :rolleyes:

Well, the lovely Parker got some nice color so all's well that ends well.

Let us know when you're starring in a Zout commercial, at least we know it works! :lol:

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

I guess im not the only one to spill Tahitian pearl on my jeans, hehe. That is a mighty fine green mix you got there. I might try it out one day.

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

-Name your kids dudley, cause the name is feeling a little deprived =P

Glad to hear it all came out in the wash. :D

A certified Inkophile

That final result is a nice looking ink! Looks like it's shading nicely, too.

Well, that settles it. I must get some Zhivago at some point. Where to put the ink bottle will be a question, but I'll have to get some.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

After the 2nd wash in cold water, the ink is gone!! YAY!!

:bunny1:  :roflmho:  :rolleyes:  B) 

Congratulations! I think it was getting the shirt into the water right away that saved it for you. If the cellulose-reactive dye can't get to the cellulose to bind with it then it's possible to get it transported away by the water.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell