Review: Paperblanks Smyth Sewn Journal

biffybeans

Click for full review with pictures

I owe my friend Bobbie a big thanks for this one. I remember that she used to carry one, and I'd seen them for sale at Barns & Noble and Wegmans, but after having read comments on the Fountain Pen Network show the paper was iffy with fountain pen inks, I had chosen to stay away. (Also because I typically prefer plain covered journals.)

But my friend Bobbie who knew I loved to write, gifted me with this journal as a going away present when I left my last job. Afraid to try it with my fountain pens, I let it sit on my shelf for 6 months before giving it a shot. And am I glad I did.

Let's first talk about size. This is a 5x7" Midi Journal. Smaller than a Moleskine and bigger than a small Habana, I like it's portability.

The cover design is Lyon Floral and this model is called Filigree Floral Ebony Wrap.

The cover is very hard and the book is closed with a magnetic flap. Other models of Paperblanks have the same flap but cut in a slightly different design - like a curve. I prefer the straight vertical flap on this model. To me, it's less complicated.

The paper is a beautiful cream color. The 7mm ruling is very light, and does not run to the edge of the page. 80 leaves/160 pages. Paper weight is unknown, though I'm guessing it to be in the 80/90gm range. Paper has a very slight laid appearance. Acid-free sustainable forest paper.

The books binder boards are European made of recycled materials. Cover design allows the book to lie very flat, and the pages open pretty close to flat. I've noticed that the book has been opening flatter as I've been using it. (I'm half way through it)

Smythe-sewn binding.

Large reinforced memento pocket. Sides of the pocket are a stiff fabric, and the pocket itself a stiff cardboard.

My only pet peeve so far. I write on my leg a lot, which means that the flap dangles because you can't fold it back. This being said, it's left in a position that's prone to be bent backwards and apparently that's what happened because the cover paper split about 3/4 of an inch near the bottom.

By the way - these pictures do not do these covers justice. They are extremely vibrant in color and design, this one is embossed and simply striking. So much for my previous love of only plain covered journals.

And now on to testing the paper with fountain pen inks. Many, many of them.

First off, it's smooth. Very smooth, but maybe just a hair less smooth than the new 90g Rhodia Webnotebook.

As I previously mentioned, I'd heard comments about the Paperblanks paper being unfriendly to fountain pen inks. I'd heard of some feathering, but mostly I heard of the paper being "weird" to write on if you leaned on it in a way that allowed the oils on your hand to be absorbed into the page. I understand what they are talking about because it used to happen to me all of the time with the Moleskine paper. Rest your palm on the edge of the page and go to write on it and the ink almost beads up and is repelled by the paper. I'm almost halfway through this book and I only had this happen one time and it wasn't as bad as with the Mole. This company (like others) mixes a clay wash into their paper to make the paper resistant to ink. An ink resistant paper is less likely to bleed, spread or feather. I'm guessing that the clay in the paper rises to the absorb the oils in your hand. If you often write with your hand on the page, then I could see this being a problem. I on the other hand usually do not, and I am not hindered by this issue.

To date, I have experienced only minuscule feathering, no spreading, (pen nibs are writing true to width) and only the most minuscule of bleedthrough with my super wet writing M nibbed Sapporo. (See below for update)

The only ink based issue I had with with Noodler's Bulletproof Black. In fairness, I primed the pen right before testing it, and what happened is that the ink stayed smudgy for several hours after writing with it. It's like the top of the ink dried before the bottom. I remember that happening in a Mole.

06/19/09 - UPDATE. I have a second larger Paperblanks journal that I've been using to test Diamine inks. I've tested 18 different inks so far in that book and I noticed that the Steel Blue is bleeding. I have it in an EF Lamy Studio and it's writing very wet. (That ink also seems to take a long time to dry.) I also saw a few dots bleed through from the Aqua Blue but the Steel Blue is the worst - and when I say worst, it's not a terrible mess of bleeding, but it's enough for me to rescind my above statement that nothing was bleeding.

All in all, I am impressed with this product - despite the bleeding I had with one or two inks. Other than the small tear in the flap crease - with how happy I've been to write in it, I would definitely use these again. Several models are available in blank paper, (which I prefer) and you will also see me test a blank book with watercolor, marker, etc.

The only thing I think this company is missing is a plain solid black book. This is a premium product, and since it's fountain pen friendly, I know that there are a lot of people that prefer the plain black covered journals - and I think they would sell quite a few... hint hint.

Hartley and Marks is the Canadian Distributor of Paperblanks products. The journals are made in China and they have impeccable attention to detail and show environmental concern. These books are not inexpensive. This midi version sells for approximately $16.

Paperblanks makes tons of journals in multiple sizes, form factors and cover designs. I have a few more to show you in future posts, including a small sketchbook and a hand-stitched Tao journal.

By Paperblanks at Barnes & Noble, Borders, Amazon.com, and Vickerery.com.

From the Paperblanks website:

"Lyon Florals: master patterns inspired by the natural world.

This new collection of journals reproduces with astonishing fidelity a series of striking French fabric designs. Providing a glimpse into the creative process, each cover is inspired by the original artwork of a new fabric design. Dating from the 1860s, these master patterns were hand-painted prior to machine production. Drawing inspiration from the natural world, the designs feature an abundance of flowers, luscious plume-like foliage and twining tendrils."

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• limesally

• biffybeans

• Rosa Mundi

• oldstoat

Top Posters In This Topic

Hei, Stephanie! I just picked up the same notebook on my recent trip to Helsinki. Mine is Black Moroccan Midi Wrap in old leather style. It is absolutely gorgeous! It looks and feels so luxurious, that I have not yet dared to write in it, especially, since I have heard of Paperblanks not being very FP friendly...

Thank you for this review! I will try mine shortly and post my impressions.

Regards,

Katrin

I'm glad you like them too. Other than a little bleed-through and feathering using Noodler's Polar Blue with a broad nibbed Sonnet, I've had no problems at all with different inks or pens.

The slim notebook lives in my jacket pocket; the Ultra is my current journal. I like the look and feel of both

Maybe their paper has gotten better - it's been a while since I've tried them; I've gone through two complete ones and part of a third and they continue to be problematic for me. But they're so beautiful, I always drool over them when I see them in stores. Might be time to try again - I'm ready to run right out and get one :embarrassed_smile:

Firstly, may I take this opportunity to thank you for your reviews: you are performing a public service! I appreciate your generosity for devoting time in testing and sharing your opinions.

<snip>

The only ink based issue I had with with Noodler's Bulletproof Black. In fairness, I primed the pen right before testing it, and what happened is that the ink stayed smudgy for several hours after writing with it. It's like the top of the ink dried before the bottom. I remember that happening in a Mole.

<snip>

Secondly, I would like to hazard a guess for the cause of Noodlers misbehaviour, as I have had the same smudging happening months after I wrote: the ink is dry, but there is too much dye/colouring/saturation. I solved the problem by diluting with a little water, and this cured it.

Thanks again for the great reviews!

"In the fall of 1972 President Nixon announced that the rate of increase of inflation was decreasing. This was the first time a sitting president used the third derivative to advance his case for reelection." - Hugo Rossi

Apologies, something wrong with my pm capabilities. Do you ever review journals without lines? I only write on journals containing no lines. My favorite right now is moleskin, it is red with a band closing it. :happyberet:

Click for full review with pictures

I owe my friend Bobbie a big thanks for this one. I remember that she used to carry one, and I'd seen them for sale at Barns & Noble and Wegmans, but after having read comments on the Fountain Pen Network show the paper was iffy with fountain pen inks, I had chosen to stay away. (Also because I typically prefer plain covered journals.)

But my friend Bobbie who knew I loved to write, gifted me with this journal as a going away present when I left my last job. Afraid to try it with my fountain pens, I let it sit on my shelf for 6 months before giving it a shot. And am I glad I did.

Let's first talk about size. This is a 5x7" Midi Journal. Smaller than a Moleskine and bigger than a small Habana, I like it's portability.

The cover design is Lyon Floral and this model is called Filigree Floral Ebony Wrap.

The cover is very hard and the book is closed with a magnetic flap. Other models of Paperblanks have the same flap but cut in a slightly different design - like a curve. I prefer the straight vertical flap on this model. To me, it's less complicated.

The paper is a beautiful cream color. The 7mm ruling is very light, and does not run to the edge of the page. 80 leaves/160 pages. Paper weight is unknown, though I'm guessing it to be in the 80/90gm range. Paper has a very slight laid appearance. Acid-free sustainable forest paper.

The books binder boards are European made of recycled materials. Cover design allows the book to lie very flat, and the pages open pretty close to flat. I've noticed that the book has been opening flatter as I've been using it. (I'm half way through it)

Smythe-sewn binding.

Large reinforced memento pocket. Sides of the pocket are a stiff fabric, and the pocket itself a stiff cardboard.

My only pet peeve so far. I write on my leg a lot, which means that the flap dangles because you can't fold it back. This being said, it's left in a position that's prone to be bent backwards and apparently that's what happened because the cover paper split about 3/4 of an inch near the bottom.

By the way - these pictures do not do these covers justice. They are extremely vibrant in color and design, this one is embossed and simply striking. So much for my previous love of only plain covered journals.

And now on to testing the paper with fountain pen inks. Many, many of them.

First off, it's smooth. Very smooth, but maybe just a hair less smooth than the new 90g Rhodia Webnotebook.

As I previously mentioned, I'd heard comments about the Paperblanks paper being unfriendly to fountain pen inks. I'd heard of some feathering, but mostly I heard of the paper being "weird" to write on if you leaned on it in a way that allowed the oils on your hand to be absorbed into the page. I understand what they are talking about because it used to happen to me all of the time with the Moleskine paper. Rest your palm on the edge of the page and go to write on it and the ink almost beads up and is repelled by the paper. I'm almost halfway through this book and I only had this happen one time and it wasn't as bad as with the Mole. This company (like others) mixes a clay wash into their paper to make the paper resistant to ink. An ink resistant paper is less likely to bleed, spread or feather. I'm guessing that the clay in the paper rises to the absorb the oils in your hand. If you often write with your hand on the page, then I could see this being a problem. I on the other hand usually do not, and I am not hindered by this issue.

To date, I have experienced only minuscule feathering, no spreading, (pen nibs are writing true to width) and only the most minuscule of bleedthrough with my super wet writing M nibbed Sapporo. (See below for update)

06/19/09 - UPDATE. I have a second larger Paperblanks journal that I've been using to test Diamine inks. I've tested 18 different inks so far in that book and I noticed that the Steel Blue is bleeding. I have it in an EF Lamy Studio and it's writing very wet. (That ink also seems to take a long time to dry.) I also saw a few dots bleed through from the Aqua Blue but the Steel Blue is the worst - and when I say worst, it's not a terrible mess of bleeding, but it's enough for me to rescind my above statement that nothing was bleeding.

All in all, I am impressed with this product - despite the bleeding I had with one or two inks. Other than the small tear in the flap crease - with how happy I've been to write in it, I would definitely use these again. Several models are available in blank paper, (which I prefer) and you will also see me test a blank book with watercolor, marker, etc.

The only thing I think this company is missing is a plain solid black book. This is a premium product, and since it's fountain pen friendly, I know that there are a lot of people that prefer the plain black covered journals - and I think they would sell quite a few... hint hint.

Hartley and Marks is the Canadian Distributor of Paperblanks products. The journals are made in China and they have impeccable attention to detail and show environmental concern. These books are not inexpensive. This midi version sells for approximately $16.

Paperblanks makes tons of journals in multiple sizes, form factors and cover designs. I have a few more to show you in future posts, including a small sketchbook and a hand-stitched Tao journal.

By Paperblanks at Barnes & Noble, Borders, Amazon.com, and Vickerery.com.

From the Paperblanks website:

"Lyon Florals: master patterns inspired by the natural world.

This new collection of journals reproduces with astonishing fidelity a series of striking French fabric designs. Providing a glimpse into the creative process, each cover is inspired by the original artwork of a new fabric design. Dating from the 1860s, these master patterns were hand-painted prior to machine production. Drawing inspiration from the natural world, the designs feature an abundance of flowers, luscious plume-like foliage and twining tendrils."

Pelikan M800 red/black XF, Lamy Raspberry All-Star XF,Pilot VP red/rhodium,Bexley Americana Strawberry swirl,Lamy Limited Ed. Pink 2009

Lamy L.E. 2008,Pelikan M400 black FP,Lamy Vista demon., Lamy L.E.2005, Charcoal Lamy 1.5 nib, Pelikan M600 green/black med. nib

Ink: Diamine Red, Red, Red....