Montblanc Hemingway LE-review

goodguy

This pen is every Montblanc Writers Edition collector’s dream. I was dreaming about it for the longest time.

It is so expensive that I really didn’t believe I will ever own it. And so I think you will share my disbelieve I actually own one. I look at it, hold it in my hands and it doesn’t click that this pen is actually mine.

I was lucky to get this pen for a relatively reasonable price but there is a reason, this pen doesn’t come with the box which is a major bummer for me but right now that all I could find and afford. There is a Hemi with the box on eBay for 3400$ so I think that a little excessive no?

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture032.jpg

My Hemi looks to be mint, I was really happy to see the seller didn’t sell me a lemon. No cracks at the cap lips (known issue with the Hemi), no scratches and no sign of any use.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture031.jpg

The Hemi is a stout fat pen and really is a replica for the MB 139, the clip looks exactly like a 139 and I think the Hemi is a wonderful modern interpretation for this gorgeous pen.

The combination of red and black pens always was a soft spot for me, I think this is a wonderful killer combination and here is my first little beef with this pen. I think MB should have gone with a more red rather then orange body, I think it would make a much stronger affect. Never the less the pen is stunningly beautiful.

The clip is taken directly from the 139, and what a gorgeous clip it is. So sad that MB doesn’t make more pens with this clip.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture023-2.jpg

Take the cap off and there is a BIG FAT nib. The nib looks huge on this pen. It almost looks unnatural and that is a part of the charm of this pen. From my understanding the nib is a MB 149 nib. There are no special marking on the nib like other WE pens and really looks like a modern 149 nib. Luckily MB 149 nibs are beautiful so that’s just fine by me.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture034-2.jpg

This pen also come with one of MB (and few other pen makers) standard features and that’s the ink view window. What a wonderful way to tell you your ink level. It matches this pen nicely as well. Really I think Mb wanted to make a statement with this pen and it came out great.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture044-2.jpg

The pen is of course a piston filler and like most other WE pens this piston works very smoothly. I love the feel of a smooth piston and see how the pen sucks the ink into its chamber. The pen takes a large amount of ink and it looks to me as you can write a lot between one fill up to the other.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture021-1.jpg

Just like other WE pens this pen is bottom heavy but not excessively. The pen feels very neutral in the hand and is wonderfully balanced. It isn’t too heavy and in my book I would say its medium weight.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture045-1.jpg

The section is fat, and for those who are not used to such a fat section this might take some time to get used to it but once you do the pen feels very comfortable to hold. If you can write with a MB 149 you can write with this pen too.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture024-2.jpg

I filled the pen with Waterman’s Havana Brown ink. This pen takes so much ink I could actually see the ink level go down.

The nib is a medium size (just my luck). I really don’t like anything but fine nibs. And today more and more I see how much real fine nibs match my writing style.

This nib is not just standard nib but feels very standard too.

This is one of the smoothest nibs I ever wrote with and it is way too smooth for me. I need feedback and there is very little of that with this pen. As I wrote in few of my other reviews most people would love such a nib. This nib feels as if it floats on the paper or like you write on glass. For me its boring.

Summery

This pen is a dream comes true for me. It’s the first WE pen and thus no real WE collection is complete without it. I am overjoyed to have it and honestly it will take me some time to get used to the fact this pen is mine.

As a writer this pen is a very nice writer but those who will buy this pen only to use will pay a lot for a pen that is very very over priced.

A word of warning for those who has a Hemi or plan to by it and like to post their pens DO NOT POST THIS PEN!!!

The caps lips are very thin and you will crack then easily if you post the cap and thus will kill the value of this pen.

Now a little personal request- If you find a Hemingway box for sale PLEASE let me know as I am desperetly looking for one.

As always Tzutzik was really happy with this new addition to our pen collection. He asked me to put the pen at his lap and then he asked for some time with it to meditate (his favorite thing) and the pictures show how deep in meditation he was with it. After the meditation he told me he loves the pen and hope to see another WE pens soon.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture015-7.jpg

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture014-6.jpg

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture013-7.jpg

PS-A comparing review between the Hemi and Dumas will follow soon

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• ethernautrix

• troglokev

• Robert Hughes

Great review goodguy, too bad about the box. Oh, and the nib you are describing sounds like a dream from here! :cloud9:

Enjoy you new pen!

PRAG

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Congratulations!

The Hemingway is my favorite writer. I only recently took it out of daily rotation, because I acquired an Aurora Optima that writes just as well. But the Hemingway is a FABULOUS pen! I had exchanged the nib for an XF, and it's a perfect nib. If 149 pens write like the Hemingway, then I'd encourage folks to buy the 149.

It's fun to share in your excitement!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

:notworthy1: You have a Hemingway!!! :notworthy1:

Excellent review, but I am still in awe. Congrats.

Now, ... if you get tired of the pen just send me a PM ... ;)

Congratulations on getting your grail! It looks like an amazing pen, and Tzutzik even looks genuinely happier than usual with it...

That is a beautiful pen - no excess bling or ornamentation as in some of the other WEs and Limited Edition pens I've seen from vaious makers. Now I doubt very much that I'll ever own one of these very pricey playthings, but I join with you in asking why oh why they would make the barrel so orangey when a redder or browner shade would seem much more, um, "Hemingway." A beautiful pen though, and one of the few really high priced limited editions thaqt looks like it would be enjoyable to use in the hand and on the paper.

It really is fun to read the reviews of members who have acquired a long sought after prize. The excitement is obvious, but you've also exemplified the "I love my pens in spite of, and maybe even because of, their unique peculiarities. Well done!

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

Beautiful pen! Great choice! I feel the same way about this as the Agatha Christie - I wish I had gone for it at the time of release.

Tzutzik looks so happy...not as happy as you must be, though! So where do you go from here in terms of collecting? What other grail pens are left for you to get?

Tzutzik looks so happy...not as happy as you must be, though! So where do you go from here in terms of collecting? What other grail pens are left for you to get?

Few more WE pens

1.Dostoevsky

2.Dickens

3.Poe

4.Voltair

5.Faulkner

And once I end I have few Visconti pens am Omas pens I want.

Respect to all

I join with you in asking why oh why they would make the barrel so orangey when a redder or browner shade would seem much more, um, "Hemingway."

It is really hard to capture the actual pumpkin-y orange of the Hemingway. I have tried and not succeeded yet. It's actually a weirdly shiny muted pumpkin pie orange.

Frankly, Andy, when I ordered the pen from the FPH catalogue (or maybe it was Farhney's, can't remember now) and it arrived, I was horrified when I opened the package. My first reaction was, "Oh! That's really ugly!" But it was ugly in a mesmerizing way. And some minutes later, I loved it...! (Or it might have been the next day.)

I didn't know anything about collecting pens. I bought it cos it caught my eye in a catalogue. Now, however many years later, people tell me how much the Hemingway goes for... it's kindv crazy. I wouldn't pay that much for it. I would pay that much for a Semiramis, though.

Wait, what?!

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

I join with you in asking why oh why they would make the barrel so orangey when a redder or browner shade would seem much more, um, "Hemingway."

It is really hard to capture the actual pumpkin-y orange of the Hemingway. I have tried and not succeeded yet. It's actually a weirdly shiny muted pumpkin pie orange.

Frankly, Andy, when I ordered the pen from the FPH catalogue (or maybe it was Farhney's, can't remember now) and it arrived, I was horrified when I opened the package. My first reaction was, "Oh! That's really ugly!" But it was ugly in a mesmerizing way. And some minutes later, I loved it...! (Or it might have been the next day.)

I didn't know anything about collecting pens. I bought it cos it caught my eye in a catalogue. Now, however many years later, people tell me how much the Hemingway goes for... it's kindv crazy. I wouldn't pay that much for it. I would pay that much for a Semiramis, though.

Wait, what?!

I've often found that colors look better in the flesh than they do in photographs, at least when it comes to pens.

I've never seen one in the flesh, so I can only judge from the photos, but I'll take your word that it looks better, less orangey, in person. I really like the styles and detail of this pen - might just have to check out some of the other WEs....

Wait, that would make me lust after still more things I can't afford.

In the words of Borat, "Not so much..."

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

Congrats on a beautiful example of the Hemi! Definitely has the IT factor.

Very happy for you.

Jeen

Edited by jeen

If I found a bag of money with thousands of dollars in it laying around town somewhere, I'd turn it in. Then when no one claimed it, I'd use part of it to get this amazing pen.

If any of you guys find a bag of money, let me know...maybe we can share.

Edited by scutterdav

While we're all waiting for Ethernautrix's review of her newly acquired Semiramis...

Congratulations on the new pen Goodguy! Another great review, and three pictures of Zuzik for his many fans. He certainly looks happy with your latest pen. The lack of a box doesn't appear to worry him: he has his priorities right. The pen is the important thing :thumbup:

Congratulations on finally acquiring this pen, I can imagine how excited you must be!

The Hemmingway seems like it would be very comfortable in the hand, and I like the proportions of the nib.

I think you will find the box eventually, and good luck with this quest!

QM2

congrats on your new pen ;)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

While we're all waiting for Ethernautrix's review of her newly acquired Semiramis...

You peeps are friggin' crazy! Are you really that flush with cash these days? I have trouble covering my rent... :crybaby:

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

You peeps are friggin' crazy! Are you really that flush with cash these days? I have trouble covering my rent... :crybaby:

I believe Trog was implying that it would be a long wait...

etherX in To Miasto