Waterman 52 1/2 V

RoyalKooparillo

So I just picked up my second FP, a Waterman 52 1/2 V with a #2 Ideal nib, and I'm really enjoying learning how to handle its flex. One thing that did not come across in the pictures of it on the web was it's diminutive size. To be honest, I had no clue that it was going to be so small! I feel like I'm writing with a child's pen. :unsure:

If it wasn't for the wonderful nib, I'm not sure I would hold on to this one, as it's a little uncomfortable for my meaty paws (please excuse the pun). But I guess I'll get used to it...

Anyone else have experience with the 52 1/2 V? I'd be interested to hear other perspectives.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phthalo

• DerMann

• RoyalKooparillo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a small pen... the "V" denotes it is a short vest-pocket model, and the 1/2 denotes it is half as thick as a regular No.52.

Most people can cope with the 1/2 models, but the V does make things interesting... at least you will know what to avoid in a future model. ;)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

I have an 05521/2V from about 1920, it is a tiny little thing, but the cap posts very securely and its diminutive size is not an issue. A lovely pen. It really has become one of my favourite daily users!!!

Iechyd da pob Cymro

I have one in woodgrain hard rubber, with a beautiful flexy nib. The only downside is that I find when using the flex aggressively (and it's so addictive that not using the flex is quite difficult...) I can get through an entire fill of ink in only 1-2 pages of A4 when writing notes... so not the most practical pen in the world, but very enjoyable to use for short periods.

If you ever want to sell it, let me know! I have one Waterman 52 1/2 V and it is very small compared to my modern pens, but it has the most amazing fine point nib with lots of flex. It is my favorite vintage pen to write with, so I am always on the lookout for another.

Warmly,

Lynne

The search for the perfect blue ink is a delicious and endless quest...

I have one I use for drawing, and I love its responsive nib. Like PaulT00, I find it goes through ink quickly. I've also found that I have to be careful recapping it as it can spit ink into the cap - then when I open it up again, there'll be ink all over the gripping section. It's an interesting pen, but I'm hoping to find a flexible nibbed pen that has a larger ink capacity and is a little less prone to spitting.

Have a 52 ½ V BCHR & it is short at about 4.125" (unposted), but I have small hands.

Like it because easily fits into shirt pocket journal for notes on the fly.

If you have larger hands, perhaps a 54 or thicker?

Just a thought.

--Bruce

http://queenmargot.com/overlay_ringtops2.jpg

I have two silver overlay Waterman 452 1/2 V Ringtops (the two pens on the left), and they are tiny: around 3.5" capped, I think.

Here is a photo of one of these next to a thin, but standard length pen:

http://www.queenmargot.com/overlay_vintage1.jpg

I have a gold 42 1/2 V and a sterling silver vine pattern 452 1/2 V. I'm also amazed at how tiny these pens are. I can't imagine actually using them to write for extended periods of time. They are much too small for my hands as well. Besides that, I need to send the safety to Richard to have the cork replaced, as the pen leaks water like a sieve when I fill it. The silver pen also needs a new sac. Still, I do like looking at them, although I'll more than likely sell them once they've been refurbished. I would really like to add a Carene or an Opera to my stable. :rolleyes:

Todd

It is pretty tiny, but that's the fun!

IMHO, if you use a light grip even tiny pens work pretty well. At least for me!

The 52V is a little more workable for most- it posts to full length, but it's the same thickness as a full-size pen (51, M400, etc).

I've a 42 1/2 V safety that is also very snazzy. Seems a bit fatter, which is to my liking. :)

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

Actually compare to some of the other smaller pens, some of which are current, the 52 1/2 V isn't so small.

Top down: Lalex Sterling Silver, 52 1/2 V, Pilot MYU701 and Pilot Legno 89S, capped and posted.

post-21425-1233491620_thumb.jpg

post-21425-1233491651_thumb.jpg

Had a 52 1/2V, and it was rather thin, more so than most ball points and rollerballs that I had been used to.

With the cap posted, though, it's quite usable. It makes you loosen your grip on the pen, too.

Collection:

Waterman: 52V BCHR, 55 BCHR

Sheaffer: Peacock Blue Snorkel Sentinel, Black Snorkel Admiral, Persian Blue Touchdown Statesman

Parker: Silver 1946 Vacumatic, 1929 Lacquer red Duofold Senior, Burgundy "51" Special

Misc: Reform 1745, Hero 616, two pen holders and about 20 nibs.