REVIEW: Montblanc Charles Dickens

QM2

http://queenmargot.com/mb_dickens1.jpg

MONTBLANC CHARLES DICKENS

Writers Edition 2001

What do sensible lace-up shoes and Charles Dickens have in common?

Well, both are quintessentially English! Of course, the shoes were produced in Argentina and the "Charles Dickens" in

Germany... but let's not get hung up on the details!

The Montblanc Charles Dickens has been a relatively unpopular Writers Edition pen -- until fairly recently, when many seem

to have suddenly changed their minds about its appeal. I was among those. The turning point for me was seeing it in person

at a pen show several months ago. On many stock photos, the Dickens looks cumbersome, strangely proportioned, and very

green. However, in person, it is a visually striking, yet subdued pen, in an elusive shade of slate gray with an impressive

sterling silver cap. As slate gray is my favourite colour, and sterling silver one of my favourite materials, I was smitten. Three

months later, the pen is mine, gently pre-owned by two charming FPN members to whom I am very thankful.

APPEARANCE AND DESIGN

When it comes to the appearance of this pen, one question that has been debated passionately is its colour. If you run an image

search, you will discover that on some photos it appears gray, on others black, and on others still, faded green or dusty lilac. On

the stock image on the MB website, it is a screaming teal-green.

When I first saw it at the pen show, the Dickens seemed distinctly slate-gray to me, no ambiguities. Having received it, this

impression has been confirmed. The colour resembles very closely the Parker 51 "Navy Gray" (not Dove gray). It has a greenish

tint under some types of light, as many slate grays do. But by no means is it actually green.

In the image below, the pen is photographed on a print that has both green and purple in it, and you can see where the colour

falls between these two. This is under florescent office lighting. On my monitor the colour is accurate.

http://queenmargot.com/mb_dickens2.jpg

Here is another image, on a wooden desk surface under strong sun-light.

http://queenmargot.com/mb_dickens2a.jpg

And another image, on white paper under natural light on an overcast day.

http://queenmargot.com/mb_dickens2b.jpg

I have not been able to get this pen to appear as teal green as it looks on Montblanc's stock image. It is pretty much

some version of slate gray under any light. Any thoughts regarding this matter are welcomed.

http://queenmargot.com/mb_dickens4.jpg

The other aspect of the Dickens's looks that frequently receives attention, is the contrast between the barrel and cap.

The barrel is fairly modest: the size of a Meisterstueck 146, it is made of the subtle gray resin described above, sports

silver trim under the piston knob, and is very light in weight. The cap, on the other hand, is an enormous hunk of

fluted sterling silver. It is nearly twice as wide as the barrel and certainly heavier than the barrel. Some people dislike

this quite a bit.

http://queenmargot.com/mb_dickens5.jpg

I have to say, that I do not find the cap and barrel disharmonious once they are united. The cap does look overbearing

on its own, but once it is on the barrel everything seems to fall into place and looks just right. Of course I love sterling

silver, as well as fluting, so personal taste plays a role as well. Note that the cap has a band underneath the clip that is

made of the same material as the slate gray barrel. This creates a sense of unity between the two parts of the pen.

http://queenmargot.com/mb_dickens7.jpg

The overall shape of the Charles Dickens is a "nail-headed" version of a flat-top, where the endcap flares outward. This

is one of my favourite shapes for pens, but I know it is not for everyone. It does create an ultra-vintage look, which I like

very much. The classic, gracefully curved clip (on a washer attached underneath the endcap) adds to this look.

Overall, I like the looks of this pen tremendously. The one element I do not get, is the design of the cap-lip, which appears

to be threaded. I do not necessarily dislike it, I just honestly do not understand it. It seems a very intentional part of the

design, but what are its intentions?...

http://queenmargot.com/mb_dickens3.jpg

COMFORT AND FEEL

Dimensions are 15cm capped, 13cm uncapped (including nib), and just under 16.5cm posted.

This pen is so comfortable that it is purely a joy to use. The size and weight -- especially posted -- are in the "perfect"

category for me. I prefer the feel of the pen posted, when it is considerably weightier and larger. However, uncapped

is also pretty comfortable; the barrel is light but not flimsy. The black resin gripping section is gracefully curved.

FILLING MECHANISM

Piston! Wonderful smooth, problem-free piston. No ink window.

http://queenmargot.com/mb_dickens6.jpg

NIB

The nib is a buttery 18K two-tone that is a Medium. Very smooth, no flow problems, all was in perfect order. The pen was

sent to me with a small sample of Diamine Emerald, which it really likes, and I have been using that until it runs out. Then

I will fill it with MB White Forest Season's Greetings 2008 before the holidays. Although it writes perfectly well, the nib is

too wide for me, so eventually it will become a cursive italic...

As for the appearance of the nib -- for a Writer's Edition, I think it is so-so. The nib is engraved with "CD" -- the writer's

initials. Considering some of the designs for other writers' nibs, I feel that MB could have been more creative.

COST AND VALUE

Buying a pen pre-owned -- especially from persons you trust -- has its advantages!

CONCLUSIONS

When I began to seriously consider buying the Montblanc Charles Dickens, I started thinking a lot about its symbolism. The

joint FPN musings on this topic can be viewed here https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=84098 .

Some conclusions were, that the slate gray barrel colour represents the overcast English countryside, and the cap represents

the Victorian era... and then some. Many have commented that even if they cannot quite explain it, the pen just looks very

English to them. Though I continue to be skeptical of its symbolism, I do agree that the pen looks "English".

I conclude with an image of the Charles Dickens together with its English-made silver friends: a Conway Stewart silver overlay

and a Yard-o-Led Viceroy Victorian.

http://queenmargot.com/mb_dickens8.jpg

Edited by QM2

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• penmanila

• Shangas

• rogerb

SLATE GREY?.....did you take the colour perception test I posted, QM2?

Cos, I certainly saw it, in all lights, as a darkish grey-GREEN...no doubt, in my optical system, anyway.

I'm not sure why your photos don't show this, but I'd be interested to hear the views other CD owners.

Not that it matters a jot, except, maybe, in the expectations of potential buyers.

I am delighted you like it so much....I thought the cap was much too large for the barrel....one reason you have it and I don't :)

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Roger, yes, I don't know what to tell you : )

I am a painter and have pretty good colour differentiation.

It is very close to the colour of Parker 51 Navy Gray and also to the Slate Gray Pilot Vanishing Point. I do not have the Parker with me in Vienna, but I will take a photo of the Dickens next to the VP.

Maybe the northern light does not have the qualities to bring the green out?

Shangas: Yup, it is one of the largest caps I have ever seen. 7cm long, and looks like 2cm diameter. I can stick the side of my finger in between the fluting ridges.

Okay, here we go: the Dickens compared to the Slate Gray Pilot Vanihsing Point.

In the photo below, both pens are laid out on a slate gray platter from IKEA. As you can see in the image, the slate gray

VP actually leans more towards green than the Dickens. The Dickens looks like a warmer gray. It can't be just my sense

of colour perception, as it is captured in the photo...

http://queenmargot.com/dickens_vp_gray.jpg

Edited by QM2

Okay, here we go: the Dickens compared to the Slate Gray Pilot Vanihsing Point.

In the photo below, both pens are laid out on a slate gray platter from IKEA. As you can see in the image, the slate gray

VP actually leans more towards green than the Dickens. The Dickens looks like a warmer gray. It can't be just my sense

of colour perception, as it is captured in the photo...

http://queenmargot.com/dickens_vp_gray.jpg

Let's further confuse things, shall we? :roflmho:

The Dickens definitely looks grey to me, and the VP green... but I have to say that the platter has a slight greenish tint to me, as well. It's definitely not green like the VP, but it's not the same grey as the Dickens. The Dickens doesn't look like it has any green tint to me at all.

Nice review and a welcome read before I head off to work! I am somewhat conflicted about the design of CD. The cap is very big and does not follow the conventional design balance considering the size of the barrel. However, once I saw it I had to have it. I also see no green and find the pen is grey, which I like. A very interesting pen and once I fill it, should be an enjoyable write.

Count me as a big fan and owner of the CD. I do see green in the gray, but it is definitely more gray than green. The interesting thing about the color is that it is different depending on the light source.

For me, I love contrast in aesthetics, so I really like this one. BUT, I agree with QM2. The "rings" at the bottom of the cap are a curious addition.

Great choice and I wish you lots of pleasurable writing with it.

Andy W.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n175/weissela/David%20Oscarson/th_nibovercapII.jpg[/url]

Neat pen. The size of the cap in the photos really threw me off, but I'm glad you're not bothered by it - I certainly wouldn't turn one of these pens down if someone offered! The pen itself, and the gripping section especially, look very comfortable. I was surprised to see a sort of flared grip on it, which seems a departure from the straight, cylindrical shape that Mont Blanc tends to use most of the time.

R.

The pen itself, and the gripping section especially, look very comfortable. I was surprised to see a sort of flared grip on it, which seems a departure from the straight, cylindrical shape that Mont Blanc tends to use most of the time.

The Charles Dickens is very comfortable. My best WE pen for sure.

And the section does have a more "vintage" look that the elongated section on my husband's Meisterstueck 145.

I prefer the section on the Dickens.

http://queenmargot.com/mb_chopin4.jpg

http://queenmargot.com/mb_dickens6.jpg

Edited by QM2

What a lovly review of another pen I gotta have sooner or later.

I got the chance to see it in person once and I must confess its much more inpressive in person then in the pictures.

To me this pen is all about the cap and what a great job MB did on it.I am sure it will not be too long before I will get this pen.

SOMEDAY I WILL OWN THE ENTIRE WE COLLECTION :bunny01:

WEeeeeeeeeeeee :roflmho:

Respect to all

The cap looks just like a Victorian Pillar Box to me - I can see one (the most common shape - Fig 8 on the webpage) from my kitchen window! Fig 3 is fluted, and would be about the right date for Dickens - but at any rate the British pillar box is a very distinctive shape that once seen, might linger in the memory ...

I'm stumped by the colour though, I know we do enjoy bad weather here, but the countryside isn't that grim! Bill Bryson said that the skies here made it 'like living in Tupperware' which is pretty accurate, but pale grey wouldn't have looked quite as good, would it?

A lovely pen, anyway, QM2 - I'm sure you will enjoy it.

John

To tell the truth, I used to think the Dickens was MBs greatest design fiasco: such a glorious cap mismatched to an atrophic plasticky body. But that was before reading your well thought review and also the topic you have started on the symbolism behind the pen. There may well be the possibility of a good reason the pen was so unbalanced, I just have to look harder and meanwhile enjoy the beauty of its separate parts.

I hope you will enjoy the pen as much as I have your review. Thanks.

Robert

PS. Of course there is also that Etoile de Montblanc that came out, which gives design fiasco a whole new perspective and considerably lowers my expectations of the MB team.

Edited by RedRob

PS. Of course there is also that Etoile de Montblanc that came out, which gives design fiasco a whole new perspective and considerably lowers my expectations of the MB team.

Don't even speak to me of that pen; I shudder at the very trace of its afterimage in my mind's eye.

Your Medici review was the best FP read I have had in a long time, so I am very pleased that you enjoyed my Dickens review as well.

The cap looks just like a Victorian Pillar Box to me - I can see one (the most common shape - Fig 8 on the webpage) from my kitchen window! Fig 3 is fluted, and would be about the right date for Dickens - but at any rate the British pillar box is a very distinctive shape that once seen, might linger in the memory ...

Hm... It does look like some of those. Thank you for the images!

Edited by QM2

Do you suppose the color was chosen to be the half-mourning that so many Victorian women seemed stuck wearing for years on end?