Paper Exchange

Phthalo

I'm curious as to why the Japanese paper is so popular. I live in Japan and find most of the paper to be great for ball pens, but way too slick for fountain pens. I have some paper by Maruman that is nice, but I much more prefer Rhodia. I'd be happy to send some of the Maruman as a sample for some Clairefontaine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plume145

• blackcat99

• Inkysloth

• jamwrite

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have:

Rhodia dotpad

Rhodia graph

Clairefontaine, ruled 11x17cm 90gm (whole book)

Moleskine Cahier, I think (whole book)

I am interested in:

Original Crown Mill Pure Cotton Sheet/Card

Clairefontaine Triomphe

Contact me by e-mail / PM / etc.

---

Wanted: Waterman 52 1/2 V

• 3 months later...

I have:

Rhodia 4 colors (wirebound notebook)

Staples Sustainable Earth (really nice FP friendly paper)

I am interested in:

HP 32lb paper

Contact me by PM

Edited by novarider

• 4 weeks later...

OFFERING :

• Piccolo Press 160gsm Soft White writing paper - A5

This is a high quality smooth, hard off-white paper that is easy on the eye and extremely resistant to feathering and bleed through. Show through is minimal too so you can use both sides easily. It was invoiced as "Mayfair Natural - 160gsm" so I suspect that Piccolo Press sourced it from the Mayfair Press in London. Since it is not a bright white it is more suited to personal business rather than office business.

• Piccolo Press 160gsm Oyster Laid writing paper - Post Quarto 9" x 7"

This is a high quality paper with a Laid finish on both sides. It is a little less "Laid-ey" than G Lalo Vergé and is a nice cool cream colour. It will feel a little dry so would benefit from a wetter or broader nib that is smooth. Needle point fines or crisp italics may have issues on this paper. Since it would have to be folded to fit in an envelope it would probably be better if I trimmed samples down to A5 to fit rather than crease the sheets.

These papers have both been reviewed with pics in THIS thread.

SHIP TO : WORLDWIDE

If you want to try some of these, PM me with your name and postal address and I will send them off to you.

Cheers,

Daniel.

I have got:

Clairefontaine Triomphe A4 Unlined

Clairefontaine Seyes loose sheets

Rhodia A4 Graph paper

Clairfontaine Graph paper

Clairfontaine Lined

I am looking for:

Anything G. Lalo

I will send 5 sheets in return for 5 sheets C:

Contact by PM

CHECK OUT MA BLOG! www.inkredibleblog.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

What I have:

Rhodia Webnotebook (Orange Cover) - 5.5" X 8.25" 90g, not 80g.

-My first high-end journal. Really nice, but I've discovered that I truly prefer a flat, unbowed writing surface (a $20 discovery) :bonk: . I hate holding down the paper. I used 11 of 96 sheets and it is in very good condition.

What I want:

Lined Spiral Notebooks! Preferably A4 size.

Here are some brands I've been dying to try: Clairfontaine, Rhodia, Miquelrius (Tech and Diplomat).

It would be great if I could trade my Rhodia for one of these lightly used A4's.

PM me. Happy Writing.

Just had a great experience buying from Indy-Pen-Dance.com. Rhodia and Clairefontaine. Incomprehensibly low shipping! No, I do not work there.

Now I am thinking about some Clairefontaine Triomphe A4 Unlined.

Jim DeHerrera

What I have:

Rhodia Webnotebook (Orange Cover) - 5.5" X 8.25" 90g Ivory, not 80g.

-My first high-end journal. Really nice, but I've discovered that I truly prefer a flat, unbowed writing surface (a $20 discovery) :bonk: . I hate holding down the paper. I used 11 of 96 sheets and it is in very good condition.

Rhodia Classic Wirebound Notebook - 9" x 11.75" 80g

-My gel ink pens don't like this paper. I used one page. :gaah:

What I want:

Lined Spiral Notebooks! Preferably A4 size.

Here are some brands I've been dying to try: Clairefontaine, Miquelrius (Tech and Diplomat).

Any smooth paper you would recommend for gel ink pens.

It would be great if I could trade my Rhodias for a lightly used A4.

PM me with offers or for sample pages. Happy Writing.

Just had a great experience buying from Indy-Pen-Dance.com. Rhodia and Clairefontaine. Incomprehensibly low shipping! No, I do not work there.

• 3 months later...

Just a question:

To offer something for exchange, do I need to provide an entire pack or notebook, or will it do if it's one or a few sheets carefully separated from the notebook? Think with a craft blade or something - the edge would be straight and even, no pages torn off or anything like that!

I'm asking because that will pretty much make the difference on whether I can participate or not, because most of what I have I am either using currently or will be soon (I only have room for a small stash of notebooks, and what there is, I rotate it just like you would pens :P). But if individual sheets are enough, then all of the notebooks and papers in my stash can play :)

thanks all!

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

Just a question:

To offer something for exchange, do I need to provide an entire pack or notebook, or will it do if it's one or a few sheets carefully separated from the notebook? Think with a craft blade or something - the edge would be straight and even, no pages torn off or anything like that!

I'm asking because that will pretty much make the difference on whether I can participate or not, because most of what I have I am either using currently or will be soon (I only have room for a small stash of notebooks, and what there is, I rotate it just like you would pens :P). But if individual sheets are enough, then all of the notebooks and papers in my stash can play :)

thanks all!

Whatever you wish.

It can be a single page, a notebook or samples.

This is exactly the chance to try something new

And to give others the same opportunity

In other words, anyone can play

Edited by rfranca

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the clarification rfranca! In that case, and after a good bit of stalling because I forgot about this option, I'll post :-)

Before I list the haves/wants, please be aware that you will need to ship to Europe for this. I know this can sometimes be a bit fiddly for North American members if so far they'e not mailed anything other than letters and postcards farther afield, but I hope you might see this as a good opportunity to get your feet wet in that area :P Contacting me via PM is fine :) So...

I have...

(numbered for convenience in referencing the list)

1. Scout Books - Jetpens style (with the weird ruling)
  2. Filofax Flex - unlined,
  3. Rhodia - Dotpad (small size, fits in palm)
  4. Midori MD paper - unlined (Traveler's Notebook insert!)
  5. Midori notebook paper, regular - unlined (Traveler's Notebook Insert!)
  6. Midori notebook paper - lined (Traveler's Notebook insert!)
  7. Muji Passport Notebook - unlined (these are the exact same dimensions as the Passport size of the Midori TN, but the paper is cream/ivory, heavier, and smoother)
  8. Daycraft notebook paper - lined (the CREAM one - there's white too)
  9. Bound journals, the 'memo book' style - unlined, wide lined, dots, grid, Cornell, and probably more I missed!
  10. Fabriano bouquet - the entire set, made up of the following: Velvety (ice white), Parchment (translucid white), Embossed (highly textured & bright-white), Laid (cream), Ecological (dull ivory), Natural (cream), and Felt Marked (ivory).
  11. Midori Traveler's Notebook (regular size) sketchbook paper
  12. Moleskine Daily Notebook - Pocket size (okay, this is more to try out the format and see if it suits you...then maybe making up your own to print out :P)
  13. Moleskine week-a-page diary - EXPIRED (2012) but unused (again, this is more in case you want to test out the format, eg to see how much you can actually fit into the space allocated for each day, things like that..useful for example if you've always used a large desk diary, A5 and the like, and would like to downsize but want to make sure it wouldn't turn out too tiny for you before paying serious coin on a different book).
  14. Random nameless greek school notepaper that is surprisingly good for how disgustingly cheap it is - fair bit of show-through with nibs medium and larger and with dark inks, but otherwise very FP friendly and pretty consistent in quality. Worth checking out :-)
  15. Clairefontaine - lined
  16. Fabriano Trio notebook paper - unlined, white
  17. Moleskine printer paper - I think this is more consistent in quality than their other papers, so I added it in :)
  18. Post-it super-sticky, various shapes and colors. I remember someone a while back asking about FP-friendly sticky notes, so since these are what I've used for years I thought I'd put this down too - IME the quality is fairly consistent on these.

All of it cut with a craft blade and ruler, so no crumpled paper edges to cramp your style.

I want...

anything cream, ivory, pale blue, pale pink, basically anything not bright-white, especially if it's unlined or with wide lines (even better if they don't cover the entire page top to bottom but leave a margin). But honestly, if it's narrow lines or they go all the way up and down, I won't snub it as long as it's not bright-white. Loose, from a notebook or pad, anything goes.

anything small - memo size, as in smaller than A6 - and loose, that I could buy and turn into a pad in my choice of thickness (using padding compound). Think little printed memo sheets, colorful and with decorative motifs on them. They don't have to be perfect FP-wise, as long as they aren't paper-towel-absorbent or as slippery as magazine paper, they'll do just fine :P

Note: I'm doing this partly because I think it's an icy-cool idea to help each other out like that, and partly for stashbusting purposes lol - recently my needs and requirements about the paper and notebooks I use have changed some, and I'm looking to cull the herd to make room for things that work better for me.

These are all nice papers in themselves, but when I was buying them I had a much longer list of requirements than I do now to contend with so I was much more restricted to specific types of notebooks - especially when it comes to format (eg binding etc). After a recent reorganization, a lot of those requirements became obsolete and I'm now able to try all kinds of things I couldn't before - shake things up a little! But to do that I need room to store it all!

So the goal here for me is to get rid of most of the pages in each of these notebooks (I'd keep just 2-3 for future samples). IOW, even if you don't have a lot (or anything) that I want, I might still be able to help you out if there's something here you really want to try :-)

Edit reason: missed one, found it when picking up ;)

Edited by Plume145

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

A have a few different papers:

Staples 28lb. Laser Paper

A few sheets of Tamoe River

Pages from a CR Markings moleskin look-a-like

I am interested in:

Ampad Gold Fibre

Hp 32lb Laser

Rhodia

...or any fountain pen friendly papers in a legal pad form

PM me or email me at fiddlermatt@gmail.com

Edited by Fiddlermatt

Wanting to trade for samples of fountain pen friendly legal pad paper.

I have these Rhodia pads:

1. 5.8x8.3", lined w/ margin, orange cover, top stapled, brand new, x10 units

2. 5.8x8.3", dotted, black cover, top wired, brand new, x4 units

I'm looking for:

1. Clairefontaine 1951 of similar size as above

2. anything good for fountain pens and note-taking, 7mm or smaller ruling withOUT margins.

I'm good with exchanging either sheets or whole books.

Please contact via PM. Thanks!

7. Muji Passport Notebook - unlined (these are the exact same dimensions as the Passport size of the Midori TN, but the paper is cream/ivory, heavier, and smoother)
  9. Bound journals, the 'memo book' style - unlined, wide lined, dots, grid, Cornell, and probably more I missed!
  10. Fabriano bouquet - the entire set, made up of the following: Velvety (ice white), Parchment (translucid white), Embossed (highly textured & bright-white), Laid (cream), Ecological (dull ivory), Natural (cream), and Felt Marked (ivory).
  12. Moleskine Daily Notebook - Pocket size (okay, this is more to try out the format and see if it suits you...then maybe making up your own to print out :P)
  13. Moleskine week-a-page diary - EXPIRED (2012) but unused (again, this is more in case you want to test out the format, eg to see how much you can actually fit into the space allocated for each day, things like that..useful for example if you've always used a large desk diary, A5 and the like, and would like to downsize but want to make sure it wouldn't turn out too tiny for you before paying serious coin on a different book).
  14. Random nameless greek school notepaper that is surprisingly good for how disgustingly cheap it is - fair bit of show-through with nibs medium and larger and with dark inks, but otherwise very FP friendly and pretty consistent in quality. Worth checking out :-)
  17. Moleskine printer paper - I think this is more consistent in quality than their other papers, so I added it in :)
  18. Post-it super-sticky, various shapes and colors. I remember someone a while back asking about FP-friendly sticky notes, so since these are what I've used for years I thought I'd put this down too - IME the quality is fairly consistent on these.

All of it cut with a craft blade and ruler, so no crumpled paper edges to cramp your style.

#10 above, Fabriano Bouquet, is now TAKEN. Please help yourselves to the others, and don't forget I don't necessarily need something in return, at least not equivalent in price, so don't be shy even if you can't find something like what I want to offer up in exchange :-)

Hi there...newbie here. Hopefully, I've posted this on the correct thread. If not - apologies and please direct me to more appropriate...

Anyway, I can appreciate that paper type / quality makes a difference to handwriting, however, I have no idea what type of paper (aside from the usual "Basildon Bond" stuff you find in any WH Smiths) would be best to try.

Just acquired a Cross fountain pen (gold nib) and loaded it with Diamine ink. At present, I tend to type and print letters (great if you need to keep a copy of something formal but a killer for any personal correspondence).

I'd welcome suggestions for something a bit "ivory" (rather than bleached white or icky yellow) and either A4 or A5 size?? Oh, and where can it be bought - I'm based in the UK (work in London)??

Many thanks.

Hi there...newbie here. Hopefully, I've posted this on the correct thread. If not - apologies and please direct me to more appropriate...

Anyway, I can appreciate that paper type / quality makes a difference to handwriting, however, I have no idea what type of paper (aside from the usual "Basildon Bond" stuff you find in any WH Smiths) would be best to try.

Just acquired a Cross fountain pen (gold nib) and loaded it with Diamine ink. At present, I tend to type and print letters (great if you need to keep a copy of something formal but a killer for any personal correspondence).

I'd welcome suggestions for something a bit "ivory" (rather than bleached white or icky yellow) and either A4 or A5 size?? Oh, and where can it be bought - I'm based in the UK (work in London)??

Many thanks.

Try Rhodia paper - also you are better off buying online - a website I would recommend would be bureau direct.. if you ask them they can send you a 'sample' pack of papers so you can test your fountain pen..... Clairefontaine or Oxford paper (the optik stuff you buy in Staple) - however it can be quite a bright white, whereas Rhodia is an ivory colour

oh and I have also found muji charcoal books quite good, so you may be able to view them if you are near a muji store....

#10 above, Fabriano Bouquet, is now TAKEN. Please help yourselves to the others, and don't forget I don't necessarily need something in return, at least not equivalent in price, so don't be shy even if you can't find something like what I want to offer up in exchange :-)

#3 from the list, the small Rhodia dotpad, also taken. Just want to make it clear that I do exchange the whole notebook if that's what you're after rather than just 3-4 sheets for samples.