Barry Gabay MB 149 Article now available

talkinghead

Hello all,

Sorry to start a new thread, but I was afraid the older thread was...well..older, and getting buried in the forum.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58260

In this thread we were talking about the MB 149 and dating aspects. Reference was made to Barry Gabay's article in Pen World magazine a few years back. Well these issues and the article were hard to come by, so I went to the author himself. He has graciously sent me a copy of the article, and gave me the ok to distribute it to those who would like to read it. I have scanned it to a pdf file. Another MB forum regular, Niksch, has graciously put the file on his homepage for download. You may right click on this link for the pdf file (Mac users just click on the link).

http://www.niksch.us/PenWorldMB149.htm

*********NOTICE******

This article is the copyright of Pen World magazine. Downloading this file is for personal and NON-COMMERCIAL use only.

A big thanks to Barry Gabay for making this article available again, and to Niksch for hosting it (I would never have been able to email it to everybody who had asked!)

Enjoy!

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernie Wayne

• hari317

• talkinghead

• Mikale

Sorry the links are't working..maybe because I put them in color?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=58260

Gabay Pen World 149 article

http://www.niksch.us/PenWorldMB149.htm

Try it now

Rick

Porkopolis Penners Blog

Great for spare time reading. THANKS!

PRAG

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Thanks to those involved for obtaining permission and posting this article! :)

I've pinned the topic to the top of the MB forum for now.

Edited by Kalessin

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Hello Kalessin,

I was going to ask you to do this! You've beat me to the punch. Thanks for doing that.

Rick

Porkopolis Penners Blog

Hello Everyone, or Hi y'all as we say around here. I've finally joined FPN, and am happy to have done so. This forum is filled with friendly people and interesting topics about so many fountain pens. Thanks also for the kind words about the 149 piece. As my wife says, "It's a great cure for insomnia." I still write for PWI, but the reveiws are far shorter since the new format. The 149 remains one of my all-time favorites, although in expanding my collection, I've sold all of mine which pre-date 1980-82. However, I've recently decided to hunt for a couple of late-1980's models: two-piece barrel, ebonite feed, 14K nib, and brass piston. I had several of those, sold them, and regret it now.

Welcome Barry. I am still enjoying the circa 1960 149 you sold me when I lived in Florida. I have used your article extensively in my hunt for 149s in the wild. So far, I've captured two MIBs, early 1980s, EF and F nibs, both about $100.

Your produce alone was worth the trip...

• 2 weeks later...

thanks so much.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 3 months later...

I'd be glad to host other informative articles about MBs if they psssed the test that Rick gave this article.

Eric

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

• 1 month later...
thanks so much.

Great article!

Where (how) can we suscribe to Pen World magazine??

Thanks!!

Eda

• 1 month later...

I posted this image earlier, of both my current 149 (which I got as the Helmut Jahn UNICEF edition; I get the pen, part funds go to charity...) and my dad's 149 (right) which has the two-tone 14C nib as mentioned in the article.

http://www.bsodmike.com/gallery2/d/15499-1/DSC02303.jpg

Superb article and thank you for sharing this ~ I have been in love with the 149 since I was 14. I started using FPs at around 12 years (Parker and Lamy mostly). The longer tinnes in the 14C nib do add quite a bit more flex to the nib, and I think from closer inspection the nib is actually a 'F' ~ also makes sense as my dad was an accountant by profession.

Does anyone know how I may get in touch with the author as I would like to know more about my dad's pen, and possibly get a better estimate on its age? It is still in use, I in fact just flushed it today and refilled with MB black ink ~ it sits in my 149 pen stand next to the matching MB ink well.

Thanks again for this wonderful article.

Cheers

Mike.

Patek Philippe Annual Calendar 5146J, Calatrava 5127R / Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST / Montblanc: '80s 149 14C (F), 75th Anniv. RG O3B, 149 O3B & B, Meissen White B, Silver Barley B, Agatha SS M & Vermeil B, Dumas B, Verne B & others...

For sale: All in mint condition!! —Email me!

• * Nakaya Akatamenuri Writer Portable with Sterling Silver Snake stopper with Ruby eyes, 14k Elastic Soft nib.
  • * Montegrappa Extra 1930 Bamboo Black and Turtle Brown FPs (Both M-nibs)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...