Indiana Jones & Last Crusade fountain pen.

Shangas

In the film "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", Professor Henry Jones Senior (Sean Connery) Shoots a penful of ink into a Nazi's face in an attempt to distract him.

While poking around on google images for knives, I came across a website sporting replicas of the props used in the Indiana Jones films...and I found this:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5181/pensa1.jpg

If the website is right, these are the pens (Or one of them is, at least) that Jones uses when he squirts ink in the Nazi's face.

What pens are those in the photo?

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shangas

• Fountainbass

• sumgaikid

• ljwahl

Top Posters In This Topic

The black one might possibly be a black Parker Vac. There's what looks like a jewel on it's cap that looks a lot like the jewel on my vac. If only the clip were showing, that would make it easier, since some vintage conway stewart pens share a very similar look, but they were lever filled.

as for the cracked ice, i guess, it sort of looks like an old wahl, but i might be way off on that one.

I'll step aside and let the experts properly analyze these. :happyberet:

Edited by ilubiano

Canada sure is cold.

I agree that the black one (with what looks like a jewel on the cap) may be a Parker Vacumatic...If it is - What is the range of a Parker Vac?

And what is the other pen?

*Point of reference - 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' is set in 1938*

I'd love to hear an expert's opinion on this! I love that movie & I've also wondered what kind of pen is used to squirt the Nazi.

My guess for the pen in the foreground is a Conway Stewart 58-- the prop guys may have been off a few years!

Hi All,

Apologies for a brief thread detour. But this is a very odd coincidence - an Indiana Jones fountain pen question arising today, that is.

My previous ad agency developed a promotional campaign for one of the brands partnering with Lucas on the upcoming Indy movie. One of our assignments was to create a sales brochure for the trade, announcing the promotion and encouraging retailers to stock the promotional products.

The brochure was inspired by Indy's leather-bound diary; sepia tones dominate the graphics, interspersed with photography of iconic Indy elements: bullwhip, compass, etc. When the art director was trying to come up with objects to photograph, one of the suggestions was an antique fountain pen. I happened to be in the meeting, and I volunteered to contribute something from my collection. The next day I brought in a selection of BHR pens.

I left the agency before the brochure was art-released, so I wasn't sure whether the pen made it into the final layout. Lo and behold, this very morning a printed brochure arrived (still have some friends at our former client!), and there, in living color, is my old Sheaffer, its Self-Filling #5 nib plainly visible. Alongside it: a small traveling HR ink bottle, also from my collection. (The pen is non-functional; its lever was broken out of its slot, and I haven't even investigated restoration. But the damage isn't visible in the photo.)

Anyway - just a side note. Who knows? Maybe the photo will subliminally influence some ballpoint user to mend his ways.

Cheers,

Jon

The cap band config (thin, wide, thin) certainly looks like that of a 58, but the top jewel and clip tassie look a little off for a 58. I suppose this could be a Vac Senior, but that seems like an unusual pen to select.

Regards, greg

My guess for the pen in the foreground is a Conway Stewart 58-- the prop guys may have been off a few years!

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Not sure but I have been curious about this topic for a long time. I do remember that in the movie he "pulls a lever" back to squirt the Nazi in the eye.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Slightly off topic...anybody see the new trailer for Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? I can't wait until May 22!!! :bunny01: :bunny01:

If nobody minds me taking a crack at them,let me offer my 2c:

The black one does have what appears to be a vacumatic tassie/clip setup,but it would be a rare Vac that

had a thin-thick-thin cap ring setup(it's also,if it is a Vac,missing its bottom tassie...)like a Senior Vac.Would

you want to put such a rare pen out like that to be damaged?

As to the mottled(or marbled)pen,it looks to me to be of british origin,considering the flanged captop and chrome

washer clip.It's probably from a lesser known pen company,like Kingswood or something like that...

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

I think Greg's right--the black one certainly looks like a CS58.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

What pens can actually shoot ink? I know that snorkels can shoot a few feet, but to get a lever or button filler to shoot you are going to have to have perfect conditions.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Once we figure out exactly what those pens are, then we can figure out which one has the greatest (if any) firing-distance. :D

(Anyone here who actually owns those pens? Would be grateful if you conducted some tests! :D )

I have looked through A. Lambrou's Fountain Pens and found this pen with the same shape as the one with three bands. It is the second from left and it s a Conway Stewart as previously supposed

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

The box seems to read Made in England to me, but the pens are so pixelated that I can't tell. At first glance I thought Parker - English and button fillers. But really have no idea.

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"