Mont Blanc Virginia Woolf

goodguy

Well after I got the Delta Israel 60 LE I was thinking what will be the next pen.

I was looking high and low and I was considering some wonderful pens like the CS Churchill,Visconti Wall Street LE,Pelikan Majesty but I found my heart went after the MB VW.

The VW cought my eyes at a pen shop.I like the way the pen looks and when I asked to hold it I knew its the next pen for me.

Its full size (not OS) I love the wavy design and the curvy shape of the body.

The thing I loved about this pen and was very disapointed with the Delta Israel LE was the box.The MB box looks like a book and from a far you cant tell the different.

I personaly love the body design.The wave patern with the curvy shape gives the pen a unique look but also not flashy or taki.I always loved the contrast of gold with a black body and it looks great on the 149 and on this pen too.

As you would expect its a piston filler and if I can make a rough estimation it holds a lot of ink.

The waves gives the pen a great feelling and gives you a waonderful grip.

There is a red ruby on the clip,I find this to be a nice addition to the clip.Some might say it looks a bit feminin but I think it gives just a bit of colour and light to this altogether serious looking pen.

When you hold the pen and when you take the cap of you can feel the overall quality of the pen and it is defenetly made of good material,my expectations were high and I am not disapointed.

The nib looks very unique.As you can see in the picture it has 2 trees on it and it looks very beautiful.

I have ordered a F nib but got a M nib.I will keep this pen,its not a big deal.The M nib isnt too wide so its ok.

The nib as expected is stiff with very little flexibility but it is also very smooth and wet.

I am very pleased with the nib but as expected my Omas Paragon's nib is better.

The body isnt as light as one might suspect.It has a metal piston in the body and it gives the pen a bit of a heavy feeling.It feels defenetly heavier then my Omas.The weight as expected is in the bottom of the pen but it feels altogether very nicly balanced in the hand.

After I spent a close amount on the Delta Israel I knew not to expect the sky from such a pen so there is no buyers remors that I had with the Delta.

MB made 16000 pens in this LE series and I think its a joke,this isnt a LE pen its a regular addition but I dont care because I didnt buy it due to its LE status.I bought it because I liked it.

post-2027-1198273366_thumb.jpg

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• greencobra

• omasfan

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a cool looking pen. It looks like it would be comfortable.

What's up with that jewel on the clip?

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

That is one of the few Montblancs that I could see myself having. Let me know when you've found your next dream pen and, in order to finance said new dream pen, need to sell the Virginia Woolf! :roflmho:

So, how does it write? Could we see a writing sample? And how much does the piston hold? Does it move easily? Does the pen post well? How does the material feel? Is it thicker than the usual stuff (looks like substantial walls to me!).

This is a MB that doesn't scream "I am a corporate gift for a CEO." This pen looks much better.

I don't like the cabochon, though. Seems to be a trend nowadays as even S.T. Dupont has replaced its black lacquer square with a cabochon in their latest models. That looks too jewelry-like in my view. But other than that, the pen exudes the charm of serious writing hardware. That's what I really like!

Nib looks exciting, too! The pen body reminds me of the new Pelikan "Natural Places" series. However, I think this pen's design succeeds in combining an exciting bulging shape with the simplicty of a design that resembles chased hard rubber. Much more thought out than the Pelikan in my view.

I know you don't write as much with most of your pens, but could you nonetheless impart your discriminating impressions on the usability of this pen?

I am a big fan of Virginia Woolf's writings. Looking at the pens waves, though, reminds me that I still must read The Waves.

Now, fortunately they didn't craft the pen after "To the Lighthouse." :roflmho:

PS: VW seems to be an unfit abbreviation of the pen. Makes me think of Volkswagen. :rolleyes:

Edited by omasfan

That is one of the few Montblancs that I could see myself having. Let me know when you've found your next dream pen and, in order to finance said new dream pen, need to sell the Virginia Woolf! :roflmho:

So, how does it write? Could we see a writing sample? And how much does the piston hold? Does it move easily? Does the pen post well? How does the material feel? Is it thicker than the usual stuff (looks like substantial walls to me!).

This is a MB that doesn't scream "I am a corporate gift for a CEO." This pen looks much better.

I don't like the cabochon, though. Seems to be a trend nowadays as even S.T. Dupont has replaced its black lacquer square with a cabochon in their latest models. That looks too jewelry-like in my view. But other than that, the pen exudes the charm of serious writing hardware. That's what I really like!

Nib looks exciting, too! The pen body reminds me of the new Pelikan "Natural Places" series. However, I think this pen's design succeeds in combining an exciting bulging shape with the simplicty of a design that resembles chased hard rubber. Much more thought out than the Pelikan in my view.

I know you don't write as much with most of your pens, but could you nonetheless impart your discriminating impressions on the usability of this pen?

I am a big fan of Virginia Woolf's writings. Looking at the pens waves, though, reminds me that I still must read The Waves.

Now, fortunately they didn't craft the pen after "To the Lighthouse." :roflmho:

PS: VW seems to be an unfit abbreviation of the pen. Makes me think of Volkswagen. :rolleyes:

OK let me try answer you question one at a time and I hope not to miss any:

1.My next dream pen will probably be another Writer Series or Pelikan Majesty when right now I tend to go more toward the Majesty.I have one more pen to sell and that is a MINT PArker 180 that I will put on ebay once I decided to buy the next dream pen.Selling my pens is a serious buisness to me.I concentrate at specific models:

Parker 75,65,61,Vacumatic.Sheaffer Snorkel,OS Balance and Targa's.NEW OS pens or pens I feel just must have like the Dleta Israel and MB VW.When I sell a pen it means its not one of these pens or I have a double so I can let one go.

2.How does it write ? As I wrote in the review its very smooth with very little flex to it and its very wet.I like it how it writes very much but its not as good as my Omas PAragon.I would give it a 9 out of 10 while my Omas Paragon is a 9.8 out of 10.

3.Writing sample ? I am not sure because my hand writing is so crappy that its not even funny.I write in 2 languauges-English and Hebrew and my hand writing in both is (Potty Mouth) :crybaby:

4.How much does the pen holds ? I think the mechanical basis of this pen is the 146 so I would say the same amount (which is faily large).

5.The piston mooves well just like my MB 149 and 146 it sure moves better then my Paragon but not as smooth as a Pelikan M800.

6.It is very easy to post the pen but I never ever ever post my pens so I cant tell you how does it feels writing when it posted.Every time I post a pen and write with it posted it doesnt feel natural to me and I must take the cap off.

7.The materila feells very very good,surprisingly if feels very different then the 149/146 even though it made of the same resin.I think because of the wave patern.

8.No in any way its not a WALL.This pen feels wonderful in the hand,I wouldnt mind if it would be a little lighter but it is not too heavy in any way.Thickness wise its about the same thickness as the 146.

9.As I meationed before this isnt a flashy pen so I agree with your statment that it not a pen people will stare thinking "this is a CEO gift" but it does have its own subtle presents.

10.As for the userability of the pen have no fear this pen is very userable and I know what I say because I am very finiky about what pens I use and how,this pen was designed not just to be a cabinet pen but for actual use.From the moment you put it in the hand it feels very natural,balanced and easy to use.

Yes I was thinking about the same thing.I am a car guy and I was smiling when I wrote these 2 letters thinking if someone else will think about Volkswagen,half of my family from back home is using VW (Gold,Polo,Passat).

I didnt know much about Virginia Woolf and after I bought the pen I researched a bit about her and was very sorry to hear how she died.

You are welcome to PM me if you have any more questions or need anything.

Respect to all

I didnt know much about Virginia Woolf and after I bought the pen I researched a bit about her and was very sorry to hear how she died.

She sure was drawn to the waves/waters, wasn't she? Unfortunately! A very important figure of 20th century English lit. I personally loved "Mrs. Dalloway" the most of all works that I read by her. It's not as elusive as later works (in terms of stream of consciousness and inner monologs) and it has a great sublimely interwoven satirical voice. It contains one of the very best depictions of an insane WWI veteran in all of literature. I found this character (can't remember the name currently) very captivating.

You are welcome to PM me if you have any more questions or need anything.

Thanks for the offer! I might if I have money again and I would slowly zoom in on the Virginia Woolf pen. It would be my first MB pen. It is a real option, though. I like that pen! For now, may I ask you to send me the pen on loan so that I can test-drive it? You sure prefer your Omas, so you won't miss the Virginia Woolf. :roflmho:

Edited by omasfan

Well done Goodguy, I enjoyed your review and pictures!!

It's a worthy addition to the Writers series and your collection.

I'm a proud owner of two earlier pens in the series, the Oscar Wilde and the F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I love writing with them every day.

Best,

Jeen

Wonderful pen, goodguy. I could see myself with one but I'm working on another purchase too, so Virginia will have to wait. And good review by the way, enjoyed it.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

great review and enjoy the pen

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

This is a good review. Thank you.

I have thought the texture of this pen would be pleasant. I have a 1999 (I think) Duofold Greenwich LE that is chased and it is wonderfully sensual to use. I also like the idea of the metal (brass?) piston filling system as that would add a degree of weight that I would like. Although I prefer the size of the 149, I like 146's very much. I think the shape of the Virginia Woolf would make it even more confortable in the hand for its size.

I am afraid I do not know Virginia Woolf that well as a writer. I read her mostly as a critic, believe it or not. I cannot at the moment wrap my mind around the symbolism of the dual trees on the nib or the clip jewel. I will have to research those.

I need to add that this is the second day I am using the pen and as good as if felt the first day it feels even better now.Is this pen going to give a good fight to my Omas Paragon ?

Respect to all

• 1 month later...

Hello Goodguy,

Really a great looking pen, in my opinion it is the best looking of the MB pens.. How does it's size compare to the MB 149?

Regards,

Oberon