Noodler's CMYK Color Mixes

Limner

Great news. I look forward to seeing your results. In the meantime, I might order some Toucan mixing inks to tide me over, thin as they are.

Thanks! I'm aiming to have them finished this week or the next. I must admit, I've never tried Toucan.

I'm looking forward to seeing the De Atramentis permanent ink versions of this one day too - the cmyk kit is available in Aus from Larrypost online right now. My budget has run out for this month and my Noodlers are due to arrive tomorrow or the next day, so I'll be happy for a while yet. But I would also like to add these commercially currently available waterproof cmyk's that can safely traverse the mail system, rain, hail, or shine ;).

De Atramentis Document is next on the list; I have a set of the cmyk inks, but a couple of the bottles I got are "off". I'm trying to remedy the situation...and decided to analyze Diamine to tide me over. I agree, it'll be great to have a waterproof mixing set!

They're here! (noodler's cmyk). Here is my 10 y.o. son's first custom ink, made by him, and dubbed Praying Mantis after he saw the first random scribble. Thank you again. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I love, love, LOVE this! Both the fact that your son got involved, and the fact that the color is a perfect match! "Praying Mantis" is a great name for it.

Edited by Linda Medley

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Limner

• amberleadavis

• Intellidepth

• sansa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're here! (noodler's cmyk). Here is my 10 y.o. son's first custom ink, made by him, and dubbed Praying Mantis after he saw the first random scribble. Thank you again. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Your son has excellent taste :D (yellow-green too, is the first colour I want to mix.)

The touch of brown reminds me of bamboo.

I didn't forget you, cybaea, I just forgot to quote you...

Here's a shot of my Gerstner chest. I don't have my full studio at the present, so this is "pared down":

Amazing. What's the name of the pen with white swirls on the test tube rack?
Edited by sansa

Subbed to this thread! I am fascinated with the idea of mixing my own inks and I must say the mention of frugality makes my heart sing. What could be more perfect?! I'll have to come back to this thread when I'm not inches from sleep but you're all brilliant. Thanks for sharing all this wonderful information!

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

You're welcome, Cyber6 :D !

Sansa, that pen is a "Black Python & Pearls" Neponset by Noodler's Ink. I've nicknamed it "Rorschach" because the pattern on it resembles an inkblot test. I posted some close up pics of it in this thread.

I see, thanks!

I didn't forget you, cybaea, I just forgot to quote you...

Here's a shot of my Gerstner chest. I don't have my full studio at the present, so this is "pared down":

16321526695_6e8e06d916_z.jpg

and an older pic of my top drawer "arsenal":

16134143860_d48e2d8007_z.jpg

:puddle: :puddle: :puddle: That's the business! Where did you get this? I want, I want, I need. :drool:

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

:puddle: :puddle: :puddle: That's the business! Where did you get this? I want, I want, I need. :drool:

Ha! I lucked out and found that in a junk shop; I was actually looking for old dental tools for sculpting. They do turn up on eBay occasionally (with exorbitant prices--apparently Gerstner is a collectible brand). But there are quite a few different makers of machinist's chests, and there must be a UK equivalent. This one's got a great design--besides the swing-up tool trays, the bottom drawers are just deep enough to hold unboxed Noodler's bottles, and there's room for all of my nibs, converters, spare parts, tools, etc. I even have a watercolor set and brushes in there. If you keep an eye out for old doctor's chests/bags, you're bound to find something you can use, because surgeon's tools are so close in size to pens. I have several different doctor's bags with loops and pockets for vials and tools that I use for traveling.

(I know, this is off-topic, but if you're mixing ink, you'll need a place to store your gear, right? Right...)

I think that's awesome!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Oh wow! Linda, they look great.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

So if I read this right, some proportion of Shah's Rose and Turquoise, about 1/4, should give a BSB without the staining insanity. Am I right?

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

Which inks did you start with?

Hi Sansa--I apologize for the delay! After quite a bit of vacillating (Diamine has so many inks to choose from), I ended up working out formulas for TWO different Magentas. The first is:

Cyan: Diamine Turquoise (regular, not Havasu)

Magenta: Diamine Scarlet

Yellow: Diamine Yellow

Black: Diamine Jet Black; optional, also Diamine Grey

Second Set:

(same as above, only substitute Diamine Hope Pink for Magenta)

If you're wondering why I didn't go with Deep Magenta, it was just too deep/strong for optimum mixability. You'd need two or three bottles of Yellow and Turquoise for every bottle of Deep Magenta, so I decided to err on the side of frugality and go with Scarlet, though it's a bit on the warmer side of true Process Magenta. Not enough to really compromise mixes, though.

Hope Pink is a true Magenta but it's a bit on the light side--it's about 80% Magenta. I'd read reviews where it was mentioned that a few bottles developed SITB, so I was hesitant to go ahead with it, but Hope Pink mixes are unbelievably vibrant and even exhibit some interesting shading when used with a flex nib on hard-finished paper:

fpn_1422228112__shading_hope_mixes.jpg

...so I decided to chart them, as well. I've scanned all of my hue swatches, but still need to transcribe my formulas for them. I'll post them ASAP--before I work on any tints, tones, and shades, so anybody who wants to get started mixing can do so right away.

I've noticed that my scanner seems to have muted the colors somewhat (I think it was due to the cheap copy paper I swabbed the samples on) but in reality, they are vibrant. More so than Noodler's, I think:

fpn_1422228953__diamine_scarlet_mixes_pi

fpn_1422229012__diamine_hopepink_mixes_p

So if I read this right, some proportion of Shah's Rose and Turquoise, about 1/4, should give a BSB without the staining insanity. Am I right?

I haven't used any of the Bay State inks, but yes, you should be able to mix up a color that's similar...the formula may not be exactly 1:4, but you should be able to tweak it to get the color you want. You might want to test it out by getting ink samples first, before committing to full bottles of Navajo Turquoise and Shah's Rose, though!

:notworthy1: :notworthy1: AMAZING WORK LINDA!!!! :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Thanks so much for sharing with us... :D

C.

What she said. I may just have to get into mixing. You've done an incredible job.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj