Parker 61 Capilliary to Cartridge Conversion

richardandtracy

Last month there was a query as to where it was possible to get a conversion for the Parker 61 Capilliary so that it could take cartridges. There were no suggestions, so I decided to have a go at coming up with a design myself. Andyk was kind enough to give me a redundant nib unit from a capilliary P61, as I didn't have one. The design shown below is the result of the design exercise.

The concept behind the design was to leave the pen in an undamaged state, so that it could be converted back to a fully working capilliary P61 if required. This placed some significant limitations on what could be done to the pen. As I've not seen the inside of a capilliary P61 barrel, I'm not sure how easy it is to remove the internal barrel cap that covers the end of the capilliary filler - so the design had to fit in the same space as the capilliary filler. It meant that using a Parker cartridge or piston filler was impossible. The design shown takes Pelikan/ISO 38mm cartridges.

The requirement not to alter any pen components also led to a limitation on the feed rod. In the capilliary P61 it starts under the nib and extends to within 0.75mm of the end of the capilliary filler openings - making for an unusually long 93.5mm length feed rod. This is a very long feed. If it were to be shortened, then the P61 could not be restored to its original state. In effect, this feed rod sets the position of the cartridge within the barrel.

To convert the pen, follow the procedure below. Note, many of the actions will be messy as the P61 is very difficult to flush out properly:-

Make new connector to the design below, out of Delrin (Acetal Co-polymer). This is chosen for machinability & density. Brass could do the job, but would make the pen heavier.

Remove Barrel.

Using a combination of heat, water, pliers and persistance, unscrew the silver coloured connector from the hood.

Slide connector off the capilliary filler. Be careful, as it may damage the PTFE surface.

Pull the 'guts' out of the hood.

Gently separate the collector from the capilliary reservoir. This is held in place by three little crimps which can be pulled and wriggled loose.

Remove the metal capilliary reservoir housing to reveal a long feed rod and some crinkly plastic wrapped around it.

Remove the semi transparent 'O' ring that was situated at the base of the capilliary reservoir (it may have come off with the reservoir).

Unwrap the crinkly plastic from the feed rod and gently peel off the glued section from the feed rod. This is the only 'difficult to reverse' change made to the pen.

Replace the collector, nib and feed in the hood. Align correctly with the hood.

Smear a small amount of sealant (eg shelac) around the bottom of the thread on the new Delrin connector. Slide the central hole over the feed rod and screw into the hood as far as it will go.

Slide the gold plated clutch ring off the original connector (may need to use a vice as a press to ease it off without bending anything) and fit it to the new connector.

Get a 3/4 full Pelikan/ISO cartridge and push it on the feed rod until the 6.4mm parallel section of the cartridge engages fully in the new Delrin connector.

Replace the barrel. This action will push the feed rod 0.75mm further to the tip of the nib.

You will note the use of a 3/4 full cartridge. The feed rod protrudes all the way into the cartridge, so will displace some ink before the cartridge seals against the pen body. Also, with 36.5mm of unsupported feed rod, there is a danger that pressing the ball into the cartridge with the end of the rod will snap the feed rod. So, I suggest you use one cartridge & refill that with a syringe.

The design of the cartridge convertor is not ideal, but will enable cartridges to be used and for the pen to be flushed more easily when changing inks. If you keep all the parts, it also enables you to convert the pen back into a capilliary P61 should they become valuable/fashionable again. If you don't care about being able to restore the pen to its original state, trim the feed rod so that it is flush with the end of the new connector. This should then be short enough to be able to push the cartridge ball into the cartridge, enabling you to use full Pelikan/ISO cartridges.

Regards

Richard.

capilliary_to_cartrige_connector.gif

Dscf0080a.jpg

Dscf0081a.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Ruaidhri

• JimStrutton

• Fred Kozub

Nice and wonderful work-----but without access to a lathe or the knowledge to use one, and not being particularly fond of cartridges, my simple solution was to acquire a British? made one that uses a converter/squeeze filler instead of the capillary filler unit. A less elegant solution I fully admit but a practical one for me.

... my simple solution was to acquire a British? made one that uses a converter/squeeze filler instead of the capillary filler unit.

Personally, I agree with you, it's a more effective solution. However, for those who have a pen they don't wish to part with, it is a solution. The convertor design is available for anyone to make/sell/use should they wish.

Regards

Richard.

Thanks for sharing Richard, not for the feint hearted :unsure: but a nice solution all along :thumbup:

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Richard,

Curse, damn and blast ye! :D

While I personally think that a non-capillary 61 is heresy This has me intrigued.

I am almost tempted to rip apart one of mine just to give it a try :hmm1:

No - I won't (they all perform perfectly) but the temptation! :D

Cheers,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Ruaidhri,

If your capilliary 61's are working well, then I'd actively try to persuade you not to make this conversion. It's really for those who can't/won't cope with the capilliary fill. Personally I'd much rather see a pen as nice as the 61 being left untouched unless it's playing up seriously. As may be noticed from some of my other posts I've got rather attached to my 61, and ran it into the ground (and then some). It was only after it became totally unusable that I started to play with it.

Regards

Richard.

Richard,

A good idea, very inventive but not something I think I would like to even attempt. Like you say a good option if the capilliary is beyond redemption.

To be honest since I found out how to flush them out, I have used my 61s more often and am now more inclined to buy them than before, I hven't come across one yet that hsnt eventually been made to work reasonably well.

Andy

Ruaidhri,

If your capilliary 61's are working well, then I'd actively try to persuade you not to make this conversion. It's really for those who can't/won't cope with the capilliary fill. Personally I'd much rather see a pen as nice as the 61 being left untouched unless it's playing up seriously. As may be noticed from some of my other posts I've got rather attached to my 61, and ran it into the ground (and then some). It was only after it became totally unusable that I started to play with it.

Regards

Richard.

:D :D

No worries - I don't hack & slash at my babies :)

They are cosseted with Gio's waxes - even went so far as to get the mandrel to de-ding the caps on two of them.

Blower from camera shop to clean through etc etc.

Without the Signet I couldn't do the crossword (it's the one wot knows stuff - LOL)

OTOH - if I ever come across an old banger....

Cheers,

R

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

• 4 years later...

Is there any good way to extract the rolled-up capillary cell, unroll it and give it a quick scrubbing, before replacing it in the barrel?

Is this even a good idea?

Is there any good way to extract the rolled-up capillary cell, unroll it and give it a quick scrubbing, before replacing it in the barrel?

Is this even a good idea?

I've not found a need to do this. Just flush water though the pen with an ear bulb or syringe.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I also have never felt the urge to modify a 61, but unless I am missing something here the process is discussed in the Marshall & Oldfield repair manual. There was a small mountain of the converter that is required for sale at the Midlands Pen Show last year, so someone in the UK can supply them.

I haven't ever felt the need to use this method. It is a bit cumbersome as the design brief was to avoid irriversible modification of the pen. However, it is useful thread to show the innards of a P61 c/c even if there is no other reason to keep it.

Regards,

Richard.

• 3 years later...