Need help identifying this pen

Jeremy

Last week I was helping my father-in-law set up his new computer, and while he was clearing out a space in their cabinet for it, he ran across a fountain pen that he said had been given to him from a Mercedes-Benz dealer while in France a number of years ago. I looked it over and I couldn't find any thing distinguishing on it to tell me a brand or model, and I was wondering if any of the keen eyes here at FPN would be able to ID it. The only marking on it is a Mercedes-Benz star on the side of the cap and a logo of a rooster on the nib and the words "Iridium Point" around it. Also, I've not seen this type of converter before (I don't know much about fountain pens anyway, so I'm sure it's something common), so if anyone can give some insight on that, that would be great. If you need to see higher resolution pictures, just let me know.

Thanks,

Jeremy

post-2778-1185541256_thumb.jpg

post-2778-1185541247_thumb.jpg

post-2778-1185541240_thumb.jpg

post-2778-1185541153_thumb.jpg

post-2778-1185541164_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeremy

• Oxonian

• tutelman

• JRW711

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will take a flying guess at this. There is a sports brand called Le Coq Sportif in France and here is there logo. Maybe they tried to make pens also :hmm1:

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

I looked it over and I couldn't find any thing distinguishing on it to tell me a brand or model, and I was wondering if any of the keen eyes here at FPN would be able to ID it.

A far as I know, Mercedes Benz has it's own writing instruments range. They sell it now under the name of 'Lifestyle Collection'. I'm not sure, but this one could be an earlier version of a pen that's designed by Mercedes Benz for their own collection.

A far as I know, Mercedes Benz has it's own writing instruments range. They sell it now under the name of 'Lifestyle Collection'. I'm not sure, but this one could be an earlier version of a pen that's designed by Mercedes Benz for their own collection.

At first I thought, "no, that can't be right" because I know that many of their items are actually manufactured by other companies and then branded (embossed, engraved, etc) with the MB star. For example, many of their watches are actually made by Tourneau. I had even gone and gotten out the watches that they've given me over the years, and to my surprise, one of them actually said it was "crafted" by MB. :blush: Looking at the fountain pens that are currently available in the catalog, it gives no indication that they are manufactured elsewhere, so you may be right on that. I'll do a little more digging around on the rooster on the nib and see if I can find out anything else, because that seems unlikely to show up on anything actually manufactured by MB.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I think that you will find that these were made by one of the firms like Schmidt, Hauser or Inoxocrom, I suppose that they could be called jobbing pen makers who make perfectly good work a day pens and good refills for various firms and advertising ball point, RBs and fountain pens for all sorts from one end of Europe to the other and elsewhere and was intended as a nice thing to put in a glove box or whatever rather than an in house product of Mercedes-Benz; even the Posrche pens are outsourced and are only 'Porsche Design'

I have Cross pens marked for Lexus and unknown maker BMW, Jaguar, VW and Honda pens as well a Sheaffer from Cadillacs these were all little somethings to make a buyer feel a bit special when they parted with a large sum of money, basically dealer give aways. One thing is that most of them look good and write well and some outlast the cars they came with.

Cheers,

John

• 2 years later...

Okay. I know I'm 3 years too late (since Jeremy initiated this post in Oct. 2006), but I recently acquired a nice burgundy NOS Giacomazzi (little-known Italian brand) piston-filler with the same rooster logo on the nib. (Mine, however, is 2-tone.) Is anyone able to identify the nib maker?

• 3 years later...

Another Rooster logo nib. I recently acquired one which is with a heavy metal pen with a brown marble design body. It takes universal cartridges and it is slow to ink. Perhaps it is the generic cartridge. I like the weight of this fountain pen, just wished it would work better. Any suggestions to get a better flow?

Another Rooster logo nib. I recently acquired one which is with a heavy metal pen with a brown marble design body. It takes universal cartridges and it is slow to ink. Perhaps it is the generic cartridge. I like the weight of this fountain pen, just wished it would work better. Any suggestions to get a better flow?

Depending on whether or not you got it used or new, there could be some slight residue and/or buildup from past ink or some factory oils, respectively. Have you tried flushing it with a (warm) diluted soap/water solution?

• 9 months later...

Another rooster nib sighting.
Found in a bargin-bucket at the London writing equipment show.
Pen looks like a Platinum 3776 knock-off, with no writing on the middle of the three central bands, and a push cap rather than screw on. No identifying marks other than Taiwan on the side of the clip, which also looks Platinum-like, but has an extra thin raised line at the top, running down the clip for about half an inch.
Feed is stamped with a 6, and the nib says Iridium Point (no size marking visible), and has the rooster logo. It is two tone steel and gold (colour), with the steel coloured portion forming a kite shape from the breather hole to the tip.

Came with an unused standard international cartridge in blue.
Writes as either a Japanese F or EF, I'm not sure, but looks narrower than a TSWBI EF.

Edit: Pictures:

Rooster-Body by murraypaul, on Flickr

Rooster-Nib by murraypaul, on Flickr

Interestingly, you can tell that this rooster is a bit cruder, especially in the head, than that in the original post.

Can anyone identify this pen, or is it just an anonymous knockoff?

Edited by murraypaul

• 2 years later...

Another rooster nib sighting.

Found in a bargin-bucket at the London writing equipment show.

Pen looks like a Platinum 3776 knock-off, with no writing on the middle of the three central bands, and a push cap rather than screw on. No identifying marks other than Taiwan on the side of the clip, which also looks Platinum-like, but has an extra thin raised line at the top, running down the clip for about half an inch.

Feed is stamped with a 6, and the nib says Iridium Point (no size marking visible), and has the rooster logo. It is two tone steel and gold (colour), with the steel coloured portion forming a kite shape from the breather hole to the tip.

Came with an unused standard international cartridge in blue.

Writes as either a Japanese F or EF, I'm not sure, but looks narrower than a TSWBI EF.

Edit: Pictures:

Rooster-Body by murraypaul, on Flickr

Rooster-Nib by murraypaul, on Flickr

Interestingly, you can tell that this rooster is a bit cruder, especially in the head, than that in the original post.

Can anyone identify this pen, or is it just an anonymous knockoff?

I am interested in this pen also.

• 3 years later...

My sister just gifted me an old FP from France, a “Modèle Recife Déposé” with the same two tone rooster marked nib on it. I’ll post pictures as soon as I figure out how - but it’s a gorgeous dark red and silver marbled, medium weight pen with a 1 inch band of silver tone metal band on the lid.

I put some ink in the ancient (dried out) universal cartridge, ran the nib under the tap and low and behold it is writing beautifully.

Super curious about this pen.

I could be way off here, but I seem to remember that the rooster is the old logo for one of the European nib manufacturing companies like Jowo or Degussa.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I know it is 2021, long time since the first question. I just found a Jean Pierre Lepine, old model, wood, with that same nib. Two-toned, fine,  iridium and with theE6957BFC-748F-4A81-BD9A-5D5E4C2087B1.heic engraved rooster on it. It writes very nice but don't know the manufacturer. I'll try to find something about what Scribblesoften said about Jowo or Degussa nibs.

Obviously, i don't know how to upload a picture of my pen...E6957BFC-748F-4A81-BD9A-5D5E4C2087B1.heicE6957BFC-748F-4A81-BD9A-5D5E4C2087B1.heic