Who makes the best writer today ?

goodguy

Who makes the best writer today and what model ?

In a resonable price range of "Around" 200$

Is it Omas ? Sailor ? maybe Pelikan ?

I must admit I dont know.I never tried lots of new pens so I cant tell.I know I like my Omas Paragon (Old Style) but the new Paragon is much more expensive and out of the price range.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RyanL27

• goodguy

• Tannhauser

• Souflay123

Top Posters In This Topic

How makes the best writer today and what model ?

I must admit I dont know.I never tried lots of new pens so I cant tell.I know I like my Omas Paragon (Old Style) but the new Paragon is much more expensive and out of the price range.

From a user's standpoint--I write everything longhand, from two to six pages daily--I like pens that, like Mac computers, just write. No skipping, no hesitation, no temperamental nibs allowed. In adition, I like a constant, wet flow, and prefereably good ink capacity. Using this criteria, and from my limited experience, I would mention:

• Less than $100: Pelikan M2xx series with fine nib. Great balance, good capacity--it just works. In fact, the Pelikan M2xx is so god, that it could become probably the perfect pen for those who don't mind posting the cap.
  • Between $100 and $200: Sailor 1911 Medium nib. Sof (not flex) nib with great flow. Marlen Basilea with a Fine nib, the unsung hero in this category (now you can get it for under $200 is a fantastic deal, considering that is has sterling silver trim). Perhaps Pelikan M6xx too, but I haven't tried any.
  • Between $200 and $300: Danitrio Ban-ei with Medium nib. Hard to find, but it is a writer's pen. Pelikan M805 with a Fine nib.
  • More than $300: Tibaldi both Iride and Impero with Extra Fine nibs, Nakayas Tamenuri Writer and Piccolo with medium nibs, and Stipula Etruria with a Fine nib.

This is very VERY loaded question in which personal opinion and personal style are very much tied up...Tempers may flair...So...

The following is my opinion...and I have a predilection for "SLEEK" pens...pens with inlaid, conical, or hooded/semi-hooded nibs. SOOOOO....

Among currently produced models two pens come to mind immediately...

1. Waterman Carene. Hands down the best.
  2. Close second...Cross Verve.

There is not a pen out there, for the stated price, that fills MY needs as well as either of these two.

Bill

Tough question to answer. Taking the following into consideration:

1) Ink capacity

2) Smooth nib

3) Never skips, fails to start, etc.

4) Balance posted or unposted

5) Price around $200

Pilot Custom 823

Do I use this pen everyday? No way! I need a little variety in my life. Plus I just discovered Esterbrooks :thumbup: .

Dean

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years.

--Mark Twain

Well, for a price range hovering around $200 I would say Sailor is definitely your best bet. Omas is too expensive, and Pelikan quality is so-so. The best pens from Parker and Waterman are also too high for this price range, as are those from the other Italian brands. Forget Montblanc! The Sheaffer Legacy Heritage is a possibility, though, so you might like to have a look at this.

My suggestion is: Sailor 1911 and/or Prof Gear, and the Sheaffer Legacy. If you like the weird looking Pilot Vanishing Point (I hate it) you could look at that one as well, as it fits into the price band.

Pelikan 600 is supposed to be great (I don't own one)

Marlen Basilea (I just ordered it)

Visconti Van gogh maxi, nice sweet dependable nib and beautiful asthetics

Sailor 1911

Pilot 823 - rave reviews about it

Lamy 2000 (altough less then 200$ there are many positive reviews for this pen)

Danitrio Densho, unbelivable quality for the price (almost any danitrio will get you a top notch pen)

I don't have much knowledge of other pens, but Bexley, Conklin, Signum,

There is no best writer. It all depends on the taste and specific characteristics of the writer. If you like your Omas, you probably like smooth nib with some flex (previously described as ''suspension'') I was looking for a pen recently and found that I liked nib from a manufacturer of nib and not from a company. i.e. I like pen with nibs from Bock. Here is something I found in another post.

''I am aware that many pens source their nibs from Bock -- Pelikan, Omas, Bexley, Conway Stewart, Stipula, Visconti, Dani Trio, Delta, Krone, Perchin, Oscarson, Marlen, Conklin, Grayson-Tighe . . . I believe Signum and Cleo Skribent source their nibs from Schmidt in Germany, as does any pen with a steel nib that says "Iridium Point Germany" on it.''

I would try to search within these company to find a pen with similar quality then your omas in a price point you prefer.

In terms of quality control, any pen from any manufacturer whatever the price point may have difficulties.

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

We can make suggestions, but as others have mentioned, there are a number of factors that make a pen a "best writer." The nib may be the single most important factor, but others include:

Size and shape, weight and balance of pen - will you be able to write comfortably with it for long periods of time?

Filling system - does it hold enough ink for the way you write?

Feed - does it supply the right amount of ink for continuous writing without skipping?

Aesthetics - will you enjoy looking at it enough to continue writing with it?

Some pens you might consider in that price range include Pelikan 600 series, the Bexley Submariner, Danitrio pens, and the Visconti Van Gogh. There are plenty of excellent pens in this price range. Get yourself to a good pen retailer or a pen show and try more pens so you get a better idea of what type of pen you will enjoy. Or do what the rest of us do: keep buying more pens to write with and sell or trade a pen when you get tired of it.

I think most of the contribution toward being a good writer is from the nib, so that's what I'd start with. For <$200, I'd either start with something from Pilot/Namiki (like a VP or Falcon), or a custom nib from a good nibmeister like Richard Binder, especially if I wanted a "nonstandard" nib like an italic or flexy. So my suggestion would be a Namiki Falcon or VP from Richard Binder. That would almost guarantee a good writer -- you wouldn't have to cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Doug

I would second the Namiki Falcon suggestion. It's a great pen with excellent writing capabilities. The line variation you can get with one of these is intense and it's lightweight and a nice small/medium size. $140

"I have very simple tastes, I am always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde

Waterman Charleston or Parker Sonnet

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I would second the Namiki Falcon suggestion. It's a great pen with excellent writing capabilities. The line variation you can get with one of these is intense and it's lightweight and a nice small/medium size. $140

At the risk of going OT, how's the smoothness? Warm butter over glass? Room temperature butter over fine sandpaper? Cold butter over a roof shingle?

Sailor. Period.

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com

Every Cross pen I have has worked perfectly for me.

"For it is the Doom of Men that they forget." - Merlin, Excalibur

If I can go a bit over $200, it's a Pilot Custom 823, hands down. I've never been so enamored with a pen as I am with my black 823. It's just...perfect.

If I can't go over $200: Lamy 2000. For less than $100, the 2000 seems to beat most pens in the $100-$200 range. I love the style, filler and nib. If Lamy's pistons were a little smoother and their quality control a little better, this would probably beat out the 823 due to its better style.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

Who makes the best writer today and what model ?

In a reasonable price range of "Around" 200$

I received for my birthday a vintage Parker 51, I love it. sense then i have gotten one more 51 and a 41 that I use everyday. they are amazing writers, they work very nicely. I think they are comparative to pencils, it does not take a lot of pushing to make them write thus your hand does not get very tired. If you do not want to go with a vintage pen i would buy a few of the Cross ATX they are also great for writing and take both a converter and cartridges. they have a bunch of really pretty colors and they are mildly well priced. I like them with a fine nib instead of the medium one. But both of these pens are really nice.

Edited by Souflay123