R&k Iron Galls + Pelikan 4001 Bb

tinkerteacher

A couple of days ago after brewing up yet another concoction of Rohrer and Klinger Salix combined with Scabiosa (with a dash of Alt Goldgrun throw in to tone down the purple), I just happened to set the mix bottle down on the shelf next to a bottle of Pelican 4001 Blue Black. Hmmm, "I wonder ..."

Now, three days later the small test vial of the sacrilegious mix hasn't foamed over and eaten its way through the plastic. In fact it seems quite stable and has a pleasing dusky purple-blue-black colour and extremelly good drying time.

Experiments are ongoing.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinkerteacher

• Sandy1

• The Good Captain

• Broxi

No teasing!!!

Sorry if I jumped the gun there. I was just very surprised that mixing R&K Iron Galls and Pelikan 4001 BB actually created a stable and (very) workable mixture. Most of my prior iron gall ink mixing experiements didn't end well. Granted I am a very inexperienced ink tinkerer mixer compared with most on here.

So, far it's looking good. I may actually have serendipitously achieved what I was trying to do before with my various Salix and Scabiosa mixes; created a waterproof dusty purplish tinged dark blue-black with Scabiosa's awesome drying times and compatability with crappy papper. Not for everyone, but I want a non-standard journaling ink.

Will post pics and a receipe when done the experiement, shortly.

This is what I have so far. I'm dubbing it PBB Mix #3 . Please excuse the crappy iPad photo, and even crappier handwriting.

post-121456-0-03596100-1427402068_thumb.jpg

0.9 Salix + 0.9 Scabiosa + 0.1 Alt-Goldgrun +1.0 Pelikan Blue Black yields up the most pleasing colour of the various combinations tried so far, a dusty twilight Purple-Blue-Black that shades well. Almost completely waterproof of course.

A bit too wet for my tastes, but might work for you if you have a dry pen. I'm going to try uping the Pelican ratio to dry it out a bit, sacrificing some of the colour.

Edited by tinkerteacher

I really like the look of this. Must have a go!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Hi,

Your result is well worth the wait. :thumbup:

I'm not a huge consumer of Purple inks, though the darker ones have earned a place. e.g. Diamine Bilberry on G Lalo Verge de France is a treat.

It seems the blend you've conjured should perform well on FP-hostile papers and have good water resistance.

Perhaps an option for those who use hues other than Blue - Black for on-duty personal work product.

Oh, I wasn't too too concerned about the 'safety' of your recipe: R&K inks can be safely intermingled; even though P4BlBk is of a different brand and isn't an I-G ink, I reckon it is a quite benign mainstream ink, that's been around long enough that any prohibitions would've been shared.

I look forward to reading of your future experience (fine tuning?) of your recipe.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

The photo (and the freshness of the ink) make "PBB Mix # 3" look more purple than it is in person. I'd say it is more weighted towards the Blue-Black end of the colour spectrum than purple, even before it does its iron gall thing and darkens up with age.

Actually, the colour PBB Mix #3 reminds me the most of is Sailor Shigure. A sort of dusty, matte Shigure. That is total waterproff and plays well with crappy paper.

Observations so far with PBB Mix #3:

Upping the Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black dries out the mixture, shifts the colour more towards blue-black, and decreases drying time. Lowering the Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black makes it wetter, shifts the colour towards purple, and increases drying time. More 4001 doesn't seem to make it any less completely waterproof though.

Increasing the R&K Alt-Goldgrun ratio lightens the colour, increases shading, and tones down the purple. Decreasing has the opposite effect.

Even after it does its iron gall darken up over time thing, the Purple-Blue-Black colour is still very visible, just darker.

PBB Mix #3 really likes the cheap stuff paper wise, doesn't play nice with heavily coated paper like Clairefontaine. Also, with a high Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black ratio, it's very showthrough resistant on even crappy Moleskine paper.

Edited by tinkerteacher

Sometimes simplicity is best.

post-121456-0-10909900-1427660070_thumb.jpg

post-121456-0-61122600-1427660100_thumb.jpg

A completely waterproof, medium flowing purple-blue-black ink that dries fairly instantly, plays nice with crappy paper and has cool black violet shading. I think I am in love.

New guy to the forum and clearly on a steep learning curve - I had no idea you could do this.

Neither did I the first time I did it.

See my signature.