Montblanc Edgar Allen Poe

Allan

It has been a long time coming, and lots of debate. I was never overly impressed with the pictures of this pen, they were not bad, but the pen never really struck me as beautiful. Since my mother really did name me after the man, since I am a fan of his work, and since I am a big Montblanc fan, it was just one of those pens I felt a duty to acquire.

Now that I have actually held it in my hands it is a completely different story, the pen is indeed beautiful. The depth of the celluloid is just stunning, much like that of my Omas Royale Blue Paragon. The detail in the clip ring is fantastic, and yes, it writes like a dream which I expected seeing as how it is obviously based on the 146. This pen has single handedly managed to make me take a second look at all the Montblanc LE pens and I can see myself acquiring several more in the hopes that their pictures did not do them justice either.

The Montblanc Edgar Allan Poe:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/flea77/eapoe.gif

The clipring detail:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/flea77/eapoe2.gif

The nib with engraved Raven:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/flea77/eapoe5.gif

Even the ring next to the piston knob is beautiful:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/flea77/eapoe4.gif

Allan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• SamCapote

• kushbaby

• Allan

I have to say, I am not usually a huge MB or LE fan, but I do like that pen! I love the raven on the nib!

Dare I ask how much ...? drool.gif

<span style='color:purple'>George

UK</span>

I as well have never been an admirerer of any MB pens.This pen changes things a little.The colours are nice and the nib is a wonder.I do admit to liking this pen.Although i do not like Poe's writings,the fountain pen is wonderful.Now to see it person some day.

Nice review and splendid photos Allen.Well done!!

JD

Vancouver,Wa

Edited by handlebar

very nice montblanc wink.gif

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Beautiful. Thank you for the pictures. I had no idea this Writer's Series pen was so gorgeous. I love the fine details in gold and the deep blue color.

Like you I have always been a fan of Poe. The Complete Works of Poe was the first real book (after the Bible) that I ever read.

I have also never been a fan of MB but that is one striking pen.

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

• 2 months later...

I too have been looking for a Poe MB. All of the usual stores & websites I frequent have been continuously out of stock of this pen since I first saw it online. Where did you find it?

Funny how many people here say "I've never been a fan of Montblanc, but........". It just goes to show that, behind all the hypocrisy, an attractive and superior pen always gets recognised as such.

The only MB writers' pens that ever really jumped out at me were the Hemmingway and the Virginia Woolfe. You have photographed this pen very well, and it does appeal to me. Thank you.

Gorgeous! I remember going by Poe's house in Richmond when I was at school there. Dad did great versions of his stories as bedtime reading. That last quiver of the bells always got me... We didn't have ravens around these parts, so Dad switched it to the mockingbird that used to come peck on my window for food. Scared the you know what out of me the next time that bird pecked and looked at me! But I digress - what size nib did you get?

I am a huge fan of the MB Poe models also. I only regret not having invested in the trio package when they were available: FP, BP, and pencil. I now have two fountain pens in medium and fine nibs, and the ballpoint. I found my finepoint at the Washington DC pen show a few years ago.

My Holy Grail is acquiring the pencil but I don't hold much hope of anyone ever breaking up a set to sell them individually. <sigh> Hindisght is truly annoying sometimes.

Doug

• 1 month later...
I too have been looking for a Poe MB. All of the usual stores & websites I frequent have been continuously out of stock of this pen since I first saw it online. Where did you find it?

I am sitting here looking at a brand new, never used, never dipped Poe with fine point. I will part with it for the right price. The pen is in original box and includes the sales receipt from 1999.

J.T. Lee

I am sitting here looking at a brand new, never used, never dipped Poe with fine point. I will part with it for the right price. The pen is in original box and includes the sales receipt from 1999.

J.T. Lee

What is the right price?

"LIFE………….is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What A Ride!"

The depth of the celluloid is just stunning, much like that of my Omas Royale Blue Paragon.

I am sorry to disappoint you but the MB E.A. Poe is not celluloid but resin according to MB's own webpage. For this price one would expect celluloid but I haven't heard of a contemporary MB pen that has been crafted from celluloid. I think they don't do that anymore.

Here are the specs from MB's webpage:

Launch: 1998

Limitation:

14.000 Fountain Pens

12.000 Ballpoint Pens

3.000 Sets, including a fountain pen, ballpoint pen and a mechanical pencil

* Midnight blue marbled precious resin

* Gold-plated mountings

* 18-karat gold nib

May I cynically comment on the number of the limitation, 14.000???? :embarrassed_smile: Very limited indeed as it seems!

Edited by dupontfan

The depth of the celluloid is just stunning, much like that of my Omas Royale Blue Paragon.

I am sorry to disappoint you but the MB E.A. Poe is not celluloid but resin according to MB's own webpage. For this price one would expect celluloid but I haven't heard of a contemporary MB pen that has been crafted from celluloid. I think they don't do that anymore.

Here are the specs from MB's webpage:

Launch: 1998

Limitation:

14.000 Fountain Pens

12.000 Ballpoint Pens

3.000 Sets, including a fountain pen, ballpoint pen and a mechanical pencil

* Midnight blue marbled precious resin

* Gold-plated mountings

* 18-karat gold nib

May I cynically comment on the number of the limitation, 14.000???? :embarrassed_smile: Very limited indeed as it seems!

I agree that 14.000 is pushing the concept of limited a bit far and let's not comment then on the 23.000 Christies.

That precious blue marbled resin on the Poe may not be celluloid but it feels way softer on the fingers than the precious resin that MB used on the other pens I've used for extended periods of time (Christie, Proust, Fitzgerald and Woolf). Why? I just hope that they could make other pens with this softer plastic - it's almost as soft as Omas celluloid.

If anyone knows the specs or contents of the Poe blue marbled plastic I would love to know.

Edited by RobertRaut

Sometimes I have the distinct impression that some people bash MB's more out of a feeling that they're common yet expensive. My experience has been that from the moment they are first inked, they write amazingly well. I kick myself at least once a day for selling my 149. WHAT was I thinking?

Your review of the Poe is an eye opener. I have never been interested in their theme pens, but I am going to look at them more carefully in the future. Thanks.

Beautiful pen. I like the MB writer's edition the most, but, still too expensive for me to invest in a pen (I refuse to pay more than I pay for car notes). I have 2 Bohèmes and they have very nice nibs; no, no 146 but I keep putting my eyes on them.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

i love the Poe pen as well. i too kick myself for not getting the complete set when i had the ample opportunity to do so. at least i have the BP and the FP.

as far as LE numbers, I agree that anything in those high numbers is debatable as being "limited".

Edited by googoo