Montblanc: Alexander Von Humboldt. Patron Of Art (Poa) 2007

OngL

About the Patron

Alexander von Humboldt's travels through distant continents and research of foreign cultures made him the first German cosmopolitan. The naturalist and cultural patron was born in Prussian Berlin during the age of Enlightment and later travelled the globe to explore new horizons. Humboldt discovered a rich new world of flora on his great South American expedition (1799-1804) and researched the language and culture of the native Indians. The result was "Kosmos" a literary lifework in which Humboldt expounded on the knowledge gained through his travels and research.

Information

Launch: 2007

Limitation: 4810 (Another edition is 888)

Characteristics: Black grenadille cap and barrel, 925 sterling silver inlays and Platinum-plated 18K Gold nib with an engraved sextant

Official Link: Montblanc

Review

Initial Impression: 8/10

I started my limited edition pens from Great Character series hence I'm more familiar with big boxes which is twice of the size of Patron of Art 4810 packaging. Having said that, the packaging is simple and the pen display case has a beautiful turquoise colour. It is simple and also beautiful. It would be higher score if the packaging would be accompanied with an additional booklet which included in Great Character series.

This is my first Patron of Art pen and I believe I'm starting with one unique pen of the series. It takes me a short moment to appreciate the pen due to its simplicity which is a contrast to Great Characters series which I own. The wood finish is the first thing that I noticed followed by the silver inlays.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ongl/20150120_160431.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ongl/20150120_160448.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ongl/20150120_160658.jpg

Feel and Balance: 8/10

The pen is light yet balanced. It can't be posted securely. I believe this one of few pen made from wood by MontBlanc. There is a uniqueness in handling the pen. It is not as smooth as resin yet smooth enough with some grainy texture. It certainly good to feel differently from "precious resin" and metal for once. Twisting the cap is very smooth and with low resistance.

There is no ink window which mean a careful estimation of usage would be applicable. I would fill the ink full before travelling on full day meetings or overseas.

The pen has a stepped-down barrel. As some say, usually it would potentially cause an issue for long writing. I find it quite useful as It provided the place where I should put my fingers and not distracted by the silver inlays.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ongl/20150120_161318.jpg

Design: 9/10

There are three silver inlay section: On the left, right and back side of the pen. The nib looks fabulous with dual-tone nib which offer a bit of variety instead of a single tone nibs. The silver inlays are securely placed with the wood barrel. I observed that some dust and dirt may settle in the small gaps between the inlays. Cleaning it would take more effort than a simple swipe.

As said by many, the wood will change colour depending on exposure to sunlight and the contact with hands. It provides a unique personalisation to the pen. Montblanc does not provide any tips of the care for this material. I am still looking ways to best maintain the pen.

Overall, the design is simple and projects back-to-nature sensation.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ongl/20150120_161000.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ongl/20150120_160927.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ongl/20150120_160947.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ongl/0b327689-0bec-4ad4-a7a5-d72c8cd78756.jpg

Nib Performance/Writing experience: 10/10

It wasn't until I start writing that I truly appreciate the pen. The nib performs very well and so smooth as if it 'glides' on the paper. Definitely the smoothest pen among that I have. The nib is Medium.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ongl/20150120_170649.jpg

Overall: 8.5/10

The pen is a pleasant surprise for me. It was unique, simple yet great to use as daily writing. I could bring this out and it would not draw unwanted attention. Excellent for those who find PoA or GC pens too flashy. At the same time, being away from 'precious resin' provide a good break between other pens. The nib design is also visually pleasing.

Cleaning would require different approach and more effort than other pens due to the material and intricate inlays.

Finally, I can't agree more with one FPN member - Axis. I quote his comment in another thread:

I have got the pen as well - it is made of grendilla wood... (snip).. And don't sell it - this is one of the best POAs to me!
Edited by OngL

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OngL

• jamesgibby

• sailorboy

• KangarueTheDay

Wonderful review, and a refreshing style - succinct, plainly written without being clinical.

I was never a POA fan, and indeed anything Montblanc with an elaborate design. In fact, OngL was gushing over his von Humbolt when we met for lunch recently (he did not have it with him), I struggled to understand his enthusiasm for the pen. Having read this review, I must say it completely changed my perspective. I am actually considering getting one. Hopefully this is not the start of of a descent on a slippery slope.

The fact that this review changed my view - I guess, makes it a great review!

I look forward to more from OngL.

Edited by sailorboy

Great review OngL! Enjoy your new POA it probably won't be your last !!

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

146 Solitaire: Hematite; Gold & Black; Silver Fibre Guilloche.

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Want to Buy MB 129, 139 , 138 136  & 149 Silver Rings or Special Nibs

Sailorboy, Jamesgibby, and KangarueTheDay,

Thanks for your comments. It is indeed a classic and unique pen. I am enjoying the pen with a JFK (Navy blue) ink.

Follow-up review: Credits: amk, wolverine, axis)

Care and Maintenance

1) Silver sections

Montblanc original silver polishing cloth will take care of the stain/tarnish. There will be hairline scratches due to polishing. The clothes can be requested from boutique or authorised distributors at no cost.

2) Silver inlays

Similar to above with careful polish on small area one at a time. It seems the inlays are 'glued' to the wood, hence a force caused from polishing cloth that get stuck may take that away.

3) Wood section

I used a bore oil from Yamaha (or any music stores). Drop a couple drop to cotton bud and slowly apply the oil to the wood section. Leave it for half an hour and use a clean cloth to wipe any excess oil. The wood becomes dark and shining again. The oil supposed to protect the wood.

My pen looks all new again. I hope this will be useful in the future.

Last bit of information:

1) Tools / Parts needed:

a. Montblanc Silver polishing cloth

b. Anti-Tarnishing bag (for storage)

c. Bore oil to protect the wood and make it shine

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ongl/20150124_092935-1.jpg

2) The pen after restoration

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ongl/20150124_093118.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ongl/20150124_093044.jpg

@ OngL I had the experience of touching this pen here in Singapore recently. It's one of the few I've seen! Lovely wood. Do you happen to be Singaporean?

EDITED TO ADD

I saw your earlier post on FPN. So you're indeed Singaporean! Then I know where you got the pen. It's a lovely specimen indeed. Thank for sharing your review.

Edited by nicholasyeo

The design is really nice. The combination of wood and the inlay gives it an exotic look. Writing looks very smooth indeed. Can't really see the colour of the ink you used but I guess a dark brown ink would suit this pen a lot.

@ChemistMB, I used a standard MB black ink at the review. At the moment, it is inked with navy blue JFK ink from MB. I'm thinking along the same line as you, to have it filled with dark brown ink. It'll be either Leonardo Da Vinci or Alfred Hitchcock ink.

The design is really nice. The combination of wood and the inlay gives it an exotic look. Writing looks very smooth indeed. Can't really see the colour of the ink you used but I guess a dark brown ink would suit this pen a lot.

@Nicholasyeo, there is another MB wood pen on the store L'Aubrac. I saw it in Marina Bay Sands and Raffles City but haven't had opportunity to handle it.

@ OngL I had the experience of touching this pen here in Singapore recently. It's one of the few I've seen! Lovely wood. Do you happen to be Singaporean?

EDITED TO ADD

I saw your earlier post on FPN. So you're indeed Singaporean! Then I know where you got the pen. It's a lovely specimen indeed. Thank for sharing your review.

@zaphod_beeblebox, Yes, can't resist inking it although I bought it uninked. It went to my chest pocket just nice. I thought going on low profile with this pen but people at certain boutiques (non-MB) complimented it right away. I suppose the MB emblem has a nice tinge of ivory colour and rather flat which makes it bigger than standard 149 or meisterstuck.

Absolutely beautiful pen!

• 3 years later...

The pen is a pleasant surprise for me. It was unique, simple yet great to use as daily writing. I could bring this out and it would not draw unwanted attention. Excellent for those who find PoA or GC pens too flashy. At the same time, being away from 'precious resin' provide a good break between other pens. The nib design is also visually pleasing.

~ OngL:

How did I miss this excellent review?

The images, your explanations, the points you emphasized — it all works together to make an unusually effective fountain pen review.

That the 2007 PoA Alexander von Humboldt is largely made of wood from Dalbergia melanoxylon, i.e. grenadilla or grenadille, is a welcome surprise.

I've seen the trees growing during visits to Africa. A friend had explained that the precious wood was used for straight-edge razor handles, but I never knew that it had also been used by Montblanc.

Your generous follow-up posts with images helps to better understand how to maintain such a lovely pen.

I like your display stand, holding the pen up for inspection on all sides.

Thank you very much for preparing this fine pen review. I hope that you're still enjoying your PoA Alexander von Humboldt.

Tom K.