Ink Capacity Of Lamy 2000

Oranges and Apples

What is it? I cannot find anything on this except for statements such "it holds a lot of ink because it is a piston filler," or "it must hold a lot of ink because it is a piston filler," but I cannot find a measurement anywhere.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oranges and Apples

• Namo

• KBeezie

• Matlock

I wonder if someone has already created a reference spreadsheet or list of ink capacity of pens and converters.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

Quote from Lamy 27 review:

"The Lamy 27 is not an above average pen in size, but the efficient piston filler design allows it to store an above average quantity of ink--1.5 ml to be exact (.1 ml more than the 2000!)".

So it would seem the 2000 holds 1.4ml.

Peter

I wonder if someone has already created a reference spreadsheet or list of ink capacity of pens and converters.

I think there was a thread on here about cartridge/converter capacities which listed a variety of piston fillers as well such as the Lamy 2000 and Montblanc 149/146.

Quote from Lamy 27 review:

"The Lamy 27 is not an above average pen in size, but the efficient piston filler design allows it to store an above average quantity of ink--1.5 ml to be exact (.1 ml more than the 2000!)". [/size]

So it would seem the 2000 holds 1.4ml.

Odd that it would be 1.4, seems like it'd hold more than my thinner Montblanc 225 which seems to hold about 1.4-1.5 from my measurement of pushing it back out into a sample vial (not counting what still retains in the feed).

A thread from 2009 suggested 2.0ml.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/133249-lamy-2000-ink-capacity/

But FPGeek rates it at 1.0ml in their "Awesome Review" of the 2000

http://fpgeeks.com/2012/03/lamy-2000-the-awesome-review/

But that doesn't measure up so much with Goulet's first impression:

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2011/06/lamy-2000-first-impression.html

The best part about the piston fill is its large ink capacity, which is easily two or three times the capacity of any cartridge/converter pen.

Which I guess could be 2x if compared to a standard international cartridge of about 0.45ml.

Edit

Just did my own test with some water, where I fill it a few times to saturate it, then I squeeze out about two drops like I normally would with ink, and wipe away the tip/section.

Pushing that back into the sample vial puts me roughly 1.4ml, not counting whatever water remains in the feed/section.

My 2000 is a post-2009 model.

Edited by KBeezie

I found one reference to the actual ink capacity at 2.67ml but it is the only reference I could find.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110219-lamy-2000/?&p=1086587&do=findComment&comment=1086587

I read that thread too and I found that number to be high, as it didn't mesh with any other number I'd read before, which is usually in the 1.3-1.5ml range. If a Pilot Custom 823 can hold 2.0+ml completely full, and doesn't have a piston to take up room in the barrel, I seriously doubt a Lamy 2000 can hold anywhere near 2ml with that piston in there.

Even if 1.3 or 1.4 is considered "low," it doesn't bother me. I love the pen, that's 3x the volume of the average converter, and since most of us have probably have way more ink than we need anyway, if we have to fill more often, so what? We get to go through our ink supply, change colors often, and enjoy this hobby all the more.

Edited by Kevan

Even if 1.3 or 1.4 is considered "low," it doesn't bother me. I love the pen, that's 3x the volume of the average converter, and since most of us have probably have way more ink than we need anyway, if we have to fill more often, so what? We get to go through our ink supply, change colors often, and enjoy this hobby all the more.

I use an EF on mine so it's not like I'm going to run thru that. Even though my Montblanc 225 holds close to the same it's also a finer nib and drier flowing one, so between the two the MB225 is going to feel like it last twice as long. Both fill nearly identically as easy.

Anything 1.0+ in a piston filler is going to be decent for me unless I'm a broad and super-wet writer. Plus It's not like I don't carry around ~6ml of ink in a sample vial (or least the two primary ones I use) in a little zip loc baggie.

Confirming he reports of others in this thread, I did a number of "refill/empty" cycles with water into a 6ml graduated vial (an empty vial from Goulet). My results ranged from 1.2-1.5ml. As a reference, I seemed to get about 0.9ml from a z24 (very close to 1ml but not quite).

The only estimates for ink capacity I could get before was the absurdly high 2.5ml. Whoa! Hopefully, people will start getting directed to this thread when doing research in the future. It seems as though the L2K's capacity is a little low compared to many other piston fillers out there. Mine has an EF nib and I can get through 1+ days of heavy note-taking on a full refill.

Also, after some practice I am now able to use the ink window as a reiable guestimate as to how much is left. If you're curious if you're "reading" the the window properly, I would recommend practicing with a wet or well-lubricated ink. I practiced with Take-sumi but anything like that should work. I know that's a little off-topic, but I thought I'd add it to the conversation to help anyone who is generally trying to gague remaining ink.

Cheers.

My ink-swap post(s) become out of date eventually. My signature is always current. If you want to swap some ink, here's what I have: Diamine: Ancient Copper, Oxblood, Poppy Red, Red Dragon, Sherwood Green; Iroshizuku: Kon-peki, Ku-jaku, Take-sumi; Noodlers: 54th Mass, BSB, Purple Martin, X-Feather, Widow Maker; Private Reserve: Blue Suede. I'm partial to highly saturated inks, but am open to suggestions. PM if interested.

I am not so sure that 1.3-1.4ml is so low compared to other piston fillers. Unless you compare to vintage Pelikan or MB for instance, it seems to be what you get from a piston filler. A thread on a French forum indicates these measures compared with others (made by Fountainbel and nibs.com)

A modern Peli m600 and m800: 1.37ml

Peli m1000 demo: 1.47

Sailor realo is about 1ml and Marlen Aleph is 1.1 max.

Vintage Peli 140: 1.6ml.

So, the 2k at 1.4ml is totallu acceptable.

Here is the link;

http://www.stylo-plume.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2619

Edit to add: this is a quotation of Fountainbel on the thread I am referring to (not a translation, the quotation is in English):

"Contrary to what is logically expected, the potential ink intake is not proportional to the diameter & length of the pen.

The potential ink intake of a modern 1000 is only slightly higher as a modern 400 & considerably lower as a vintage 400.

Resuming :

Modern 200/400 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 24.5mm, potential ink volume:1.29 ml

Modern 600 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 26 mm, potential ink volume:. 1.37 ml

Modern 800 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 26 mm , potential ink volume: 1.37 ml

Modern1000: piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 28 mm , potential ink volume: 1.47 ml

Vintage 400 : piston bore 9.0 mm, piston stroke 31 mm , potential ink volume: 1.97 "

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Remembered I read previews before stating 1.4ml.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.