Levenger Cardinal Red

Liquidmetal490

Levenger Cardinal Red is a deep, dark red that I find appealing. It's bright, but doesn't have any orange at all, so if you're looking for a brighter, fire engine type red, I'd check out other inks such as Diamine Poppy Red. That said, Cardinal Red has a lot to offer. It flows smoothly and performs well on paper, although it can show-through some and may bleed on lower quality papers. I enjoy using it for corrections to assignments and papers as it provides a solid red color, but isn't as bright as orange-red inks.

Rhoida Paper

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah154/vinceabz/Diamine%20Poppy%20Red/Levenger%20Cardinal%20Red/LevengerCardinalRedRhodia_zps366293d5.jpg

Tops Docket Gold Legal Paper

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah154/vinceabz/Diamine%20Poppy%20Red/Levenger%20Cardinal%20Red/LevengerCardinalRedTopsDocketGold_zps8fe2a733.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• thudthwacker

• overwriter

• lgsoltek

I used Cardinal Red for my Christmas cards this year. It is definitely a wet ink but it behaves well on decent paper. It certainly is more red than indicated in the qtip swab.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

Thank you. I love this ink. I only wish it didn't fade. It is one of my mixing inks because it is not blue and not orange, but a real red. Thanks again for highlighting it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you. I love this ink. I only wish it didn't fade. It is one of my mixing inks because it is not blue and not orange, but a real red. Thanks again for highlighting it.

" it is not blue "

Did you mean pink ?

No some reds are still red, but have a blueish hue without crossing into the land of pink. (De Atramentis Kermesin Red is dang blue for a red ink).

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I got some as a sample. I noticed that it has sheen. Did you notice the same thing

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I've never tried it on a sheeny paper.... the next time I ink up, I will.

• 3 months later...

If you do a Google search for;

Levenger Cardinal Red images

You'll see a few reviews where it appears Pink. Interestingly enough, some seem to go from more Red to more Pink within

the same handwritten part.

Interesting.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I love this ink, I just wished it didn't fade so quickly.

I have used this for years, and it is one of the deepest truest reds I have. Not pink at all. Not as dark red as the lovely Montblanc Je t'aime.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Unlike the comments above it does not look pink at all on my 6 year old Macbook but rather looks like what it is, a true red.

IMHO this and Sheaffer Red are two of the best. Maybe the two best true reds.

If it only held up in fade tests, I'd be thrilled. As it is, I love it, but I don't use it that often.

• 1 year later...

I just filled a pen with it today, and right now, I'm definitely getting something of a pinkish red with a nice gold sheen. Makes me think a little of Iroshizuku Momiji; possibly a bit like Tsutsuji (though I really only know the latter from pictures). I like it a lot.

I bought this one in my batch of Levenger inks last year while I was in Florida but I haven't tried it yet. I must ink it up. :)

It's really a wonderful ink and you won't be disappointed. I did check it out and it does sheen.

I filled one of my Sheaffer NoNonsense fine italics with it earlier, and wow, do I love it even more in a nice, broad line. The bright gold sheen is really wonderful; it puts me in mind of Iroshizuku Momiji. I have to say: I'm so thankful that my wife's aunt rediscovered these bottles and was generous enough to give them to me. I really love Raven Black, Gemstone Green, and Cardinal Red, and Levenger just isn't a manufacturer that I'd ever really considered before.

EDIT: I wrote "Yama-budo" before, but really, it's a lot more like Momiji. And, I must note, considerably less expensive.

Edited by thudthwacker

I have this ink. It's red. Not pink at all in fact along with Sheaffer Skrip Red I think it is one of the true reds,