Grand Canyon - Caran D'ache In Memoriam

visvamitra

Caran d'Ache makes great inks. Unhappily when they switched from Colors of the earth series to Chromatics they've changed all colors. I'm pretty sure the new ones are as good as old ones. I tried Infinite Grey it's very nice ink with zero waterproofness.

Unhappily among discontinued inks was Grand Canyon - one of my all time favourite browns. I must confess that I like almost all browns except for cafe au lait kind of browns. Grand Canyon however was among my top 5.

And last week I've finished my only bottle of this precious liquid. Life will never be the same.

Bstnnyc's sent me link to some shop that still has some bottles and I'll consider getting them but the price with shipment is rather sky high :)

So if you know similar ink that I don't know, let me know. Maybe some Sailor LE?

Or even better make Caran d'Ache reintroduce it :)

INK SPLASH

http://imageshack.com/a/img674/1994/G7a7Vn.jpg

DROPS OF INK ON KITCHEN TOWEL

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/9929/ftzXfe.jpg

SOFTWARE ID

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/5158/4U3ogB.jpg

COLOR RANGE

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/3286/KDamnf.jpg

Oxford notebook - Kaweco Sport, eyedropper mode, broad nib

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/2927/2x4rHv.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/6453/a6Eysn.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/4882/CBwYE1.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PS104

• Misfit

• Zanshin

• Hallel

Very nice review as always. Too bad about the discontinuation. Maybe they'll rerelease in a few years?

A thought occurs, have you tried comparing it to the the new Organic Brown? Perhaps the reformulation isn't so different?

Edited by Hallel

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

Another good review. I loved the colour but I hated the ink. This had to be the slowest drying ink I've ever used. It stayed wet on the page for ages making it totally impractical for use.

Toodle pip<BR><BR><BR>

On the screen it looks an awful lot like Mont blanc toffee ink to me. I have Akkerman number 23, the Mont blanc, private reserve chocolate brown, and Diamine chocolate brown should you need some comparisons –unfortunately, no CDA.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Wonderful review; I see there is a seller in Seattle that seems to have these in stock:

http://www.pianki.com/caran-dache-grand-canyon-brown-fountain-pen-ink_p1223.html?gclid=CL-_wKXn_cECFUVgfgodrFoAVA

I have no experience with this seller, but maybe you can ask some of the nice FPNers in Seattle, like Joe?

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Sailor's Kobe browns run close to this. There's one, name starts with an N, on Cool_Japan's listings on eBay. The Sepia is much darker.

The reintroduction of this color has about as much of a chance as the return of MB's beloved Racing Green

Like the Flying Dutchman doomed to sail the seven seas and never making port, various manufacturers are always trying to come up with Racing Green's replacement but they never come into port

The manufacturers have discovered the LE. A relatively short run and a higher price, especially if it gets a lot of bling on the various forums. And no need to keep resources tied up keeping a color on the books.

"It's not personal, it's just business"

FUHGEDABOUDIT

• 2 weeks later...

this certainly is a nice looking brown. i regret never made an attempt to purchase a bottle and so never had the chance to try it out. when you do find an acceptable substitute, please share it to the rest of us. i always in the look out for a nice brown to write with.

-rudy-

Thank you for sharing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 months later...

I looked at pianki.com. The shipping is $18.56 for 2 bottles at $24 each. It's too high, I think, for FedEx 1-10 day shipping.

As much as I like the idea of the ink and the colors (Amazon Green and Grand Canyon Brown), I'm passing on them. I don't know if my resolve will weaken. I did send them a message about this, but I doubt if they can change their shipping.

Posted Image

Don't these ink manufacturers know the mental havoc they wreak upon people's lives by discontinuing certain colors

How many people have been sent into a mental tailspin withe discontinuance of Hitchcock, Racing Green, Grand Canyon, all the Penman inks, etc

If I were a lawyer I would smell a class-action law suit for mental anguish.

If I recall correctly the Kaweco Sepia cartridges are a nice brown too.

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

• 4 weeks later...

Don't these ink manufacturers know the mental havoc they wreak upon people's lives by discontinuing certain colors

How many people have been sent into a mental tailspin withe discontinuance of Hitchcock, Racing Green, Grand Canyon, all the Penman inks, etc

If I were a lawyer I would smell a class-action law suit for mental anguish.

Good question. Waterman seems to keep the same inks (if they stayed the same after that awful name change). I never bothered to look at Caran d'Ache, so missed out on the Colors of the Earth series. Major bummer. I won't look at them now with their Chromatics. I stay with certain brands for the most part (J. Herbin, De Atramentis, Pelikan, Waterman, Diamine). So sometimes a special name or series draws me in. That's what I used to love about Waterman names that sounded exotic (South Seas Blue, Havana Brown). That is what would have drawn me in to trying Caran d'Ache (Colors of the Earth).

Posted Image

Totally agree. Best brown ink ever. No brassiness or tan about it. A yellowy green about it rather than reddy brown. It also flushed out of pens really easily without staining.