Sos Sailor Ink - Kobe, Bung Box And Ishida Bungu Help

bstnnyc

BB Dandyism is delightful. To give you a good comparison, I would say that it is similar to Jentle Murai, except the green part is green-grey instead of green-blue. Performance is similarly excellent. However, I'd almost say go for some Pen and Message Cigar first, that ink is a bit more "fall" and a Dandyism is a bit more "winter". Cigar though, that ink may be my new favorite ink. It goes on green, drys a reddish yellow-brown-green, and even has a bit of red sheen on Japanese papers. Oh, and Cigar also shades heavily in a wet pen and even has a bit of outlining on harder papers. That stuff is magic, and it's the only Sailor custom ink I have two bottles of (though I need seconds of Twighlight, 4B, and L'Amant).

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bstnnyc

• saskia_madding

• Ghost Plane

• Algester

I didn't buy them after finding out they were Private Reserve inks mixed together in house. Are those the ones, or am I mistaking them? I bought the Hougado inks instead, this time around. I can really only afford one round of inks every two weeks. So I'll plan my next batch two weeks from now. What should I get next???

the private reserve inks were from Kakimori (I had my doubts about that bottle but it's a cute bottle none the less a 50ml that looks like the 20ml Iroshizuku) not sankodo I think it was my fault because I posted them in a single post thinking that the thread wouldnt get longer... and I was deeply wrong...

http://www.sankodo-web.co.jp/products-ink.htm

this one it seems some are still available so I think it's instock most of the time

Edited by Algester

I checked a while ago and at the time only the forest green and blue-gray were no longer available. Perhaps I'll check back, though I will admit I wouldn't buy every single one. There are several that really don't appeal to me.

Thank you very much for all of your feedback Saskia and Alaric! This is very helpful. I will definitely get the Dandyism and 4B then.

Also thank you for offering to do another comparison for me Saskia! I am very sorry to hear that you are sick. I hope you feel better tomorrow! I felt bad asking you to do one more comparison especially when you are not feeling well, and I’m a bit of a blue ink hoarder so after hearing that you loved the color of Kobe# 7 and that the ink performed well I went ahead and ordered it from Atsu :) There is something about watching beautiful blue inks dry on the page that makes me so happy, so I am always up for more of them.

You have me thinking about Cigar too Alaric. It was my favorite ink in the Pen and Message group buy post that you created. I know the colors are very different, but for December I wanted to pick one from Cigar, Tanna Japonensis, Kobe 34, and, after Saskia mentioned the Hougado inks in the last post, the Hougado Green. I love that category of olive/murky greenish browns but I don’t use them enough to buy all four, so I am thinking of limiting myself to one. Have you tried any of the other three?

Starry Night is a seasonal ink and I think is currently only available in packs of 12 bottles. Singles may be available nearer Christmas...........

Thank you migo984! I guess it is better for the budget anyway :P and with Saskia's and Alaric's good experiences with 4B, it will be good to try that one first and rethink Starry Night in the future

Omg that would be wonderful! Thank you so much for this!! I am in no rush so please rest while you are sick :)

post-113356-0-18700900-1413688889.gif

Thanks!

And in case anyone is wondering, I just tried the Fungi line of Kingdom Note inks, and they are all pretty awful (the red, green, and pink are totally barfy). The two blues are passable, the light one being pretty boring and he darker one being fairly lovely, though not shockingly different or more lovely than a few other Sailor inks. It looks kind of like a muted #38. I think. I'd have to do a comparison to be sure.

I'll post the picture of the writing samples when I take pictures of the upcoming comparisons.

I don't own any of of the others, but I have been able to compare the Kingdom Note ink to the Cigar. Cigar is more a yellow-brown-green with reddish parts. The Kingdom Note is more a highly shading yellow-green leaning more green.

Edited by alarickc

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Last night I thought I had planned out all of the possible Sailor ink purchases for the next couple of months and then I just read your post on the Sankodos and looked at them again and the list has only expanded :P

I need to look for a new ink storage system after entering into the world of Sailor because my drawers are already at full capacity! I'm going to check out these stackable drawers at the container store and dedicate a space for them in a closet:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/likeitModularStorageSystem?productId=10027797&N=80170

What does everyone else use?

Solid wood chests of drawers that I pick up in the summers at garage sales. My super sturdy one I got for $5 (though the drawers are sometimes a pain to fully open and close, but who cares), and the one with slightly thinner bottoms on the drawers is taller and not too full yet, so it's still holding up. That was $35.

The problem with your drawers is that they are clear. To keep ink happy for longest, you should keep them away from direct sunlight or heat. I keep mine in opaque containers, in their boxes, and in my basement.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/C2333728-CDC2-47E0-A17A-2358A906A5CF_zps6q9dhtjd.jpg

Thank you for the good tips on the opaque drawers and the garage sale idea! I will be keeping an eye out for them the next couple of weekends and if they don't come up, I will pick up the opaque drawers :)

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC00113_zps78e4b1b7.jpg?t=1414000463

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC00116_zps68ea5ee8.jpg?t=1414000455

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC00120_zps66a89be1.jpg?t=1414000541

More pictures here. At that link you can blow them up VERY large and take a closer look. :)

Wow this is wonderful! :notworthy1: Thank you for doing this Saskia! It is very helpful to see them side by side (and dangerous for the ink budget because there is something I like in each of them even the run off mix :P)

And Alaric was right; Cigar is unlike anything else I've tried. I don't think I will be able to decide between it and TJ, so I just emailed Atsu to ask about pricing and availability for both and I guess I'll take it from there haha I think maybe I need to push myself to get these two now and slowly work my way through the Kobes since they will definitely be available next year.

Seriously thank you!

PS How is your cold?

My suggestion is to get TJ and Cigar immediately, for sure. Then when working your way through the Kobes, maybe give #45 a miss. It's a bit matte and boring, and similar to though not as thrilling as BB Dandyism. #28 and #34 are VERY similar (check out the comparison I did in the comparison section), so maybe just get one of those in order to conserve money.

I actually like the runoff mix quite a bit! I'll use it up when I empty all my pens of the Kingdom Note Fungi inks.

My cold was better for a bit but has taken another nose dive. I'm not so sick that I can't go to work, but I feel pretty under the weather, and I still have coughing fits when I breathe deeply. It sucks. I really wanted to go back to my daily gym group classes this week, but I can't. ARG. I hope this cough doesn't linger as long as last year's pre-flu season one did (which was literally four months). Thanks for asking!

Cigar though, that ink may be my new favorite ink. It goes on green, drys a reddish yellow-brown-green, and even has a bit of red sheen on Japanese papers. Oh, and Cigar also shades heavily in a wet pen and even has a bit of outlining on harder papers. That stuff is magic, and it's the only Sailor custom ink I have two bottles of...

Oh yes.. .Cigar is magical.. and I think is one of my favorite Japanese inks.... I have a "thing" ..where I don't buy duplicates of inks.. but I did get two of Cigar... and what you do when you have two bottles of a wonderful and exciting and hard to obtain ink??.. You share.. :D ... I gave my sweetheart (which BTW is a cigar smoker) a bottle of Cigar... and he is also in love with it... :wub: :wub:

The other ink I am finding quite striking too is Hakodate Gagome (Algae?) from Ishida Bungu. :puddle: :puddle:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

My suggestion is to get TJ and Cigar immediately, for sure. Then when working your way through the Kobes, maybe give #45 a miss. It's a bit matte and boring, and similar to though not as thrilling as BB Dandyism. #28 and #34 are VERY similar (check out the comparison I did in the comparison section), so maybe just get one of those in order to conserve money.

I actually like the runoff mix quite a bit! I'll use it up when I empty all my pens of the Kingdom Note Fungi inks.

My cold was better for a bit but has taken another nose dive. I'm not so sick that I can't go to work, but I feel pretty under the weather, and I still have coughing fits when I breathe deeply. It sucks. I really wanted to go back to my daily gym group classes this week, but I can't. ARG. I hope this cough doesn't linger as long as last year's pre-flu season one did (which was literally four months). Thanks for asking!

TJ and Cigar are officially ordered! I can't wait to try them :bunny01: And thank you for the good advice as always on narrowing down the others. Since Dandyism is on its way and #34 and #28 are even close in person, that helps a lot to limit the remaining murky green purchases to just #34. I was telling Alaric that I made a list of 25 others to get over the next couple of months, so I am very appreciative for all recommendations on which ones to cut :) (the new pen fund has become like the ugly stepsister of the new ink fund... haha)

I am so sorry that you are still sick! The coughing fits are the worst. Have you tried a vitamin b12 shot before? I know it doesn't sound like it would do much, but every time I start cold symptoms (or when flu season is in full gear) I do a shot (usually 3-4 times a year) and it helps your body get over symptoms by the next day. I don't know how effective it is when a cold has already set in, but it helps boost the immune system, so it might help the body get over the cold faster.