Inky T O D - Nib Crud - What Causes It, How To Stop It And Does It Hurt The Pen?

amberleadavis

Nib creep is when the ink hangs out on the nib, it isn't pretty, but it's not the end of world. In contrast, nib crud freaks me out. I start hyper-ventilating and swearing at the same time. I search for matches to scorch the dreaded plague that has come to my beloved pen.

Okay, well, that's not quite what happens.... Mostly I get anxious and I dump the ink.

So, here are some examples - I will find the Diamine Ancient Copper which looks different. Let me say that the first picture looks like mold or something really terrifying. The later ones are less scary. Most of the samples I have seen are orange inks, but I found two very yellow greens which did the same. So, I'm thinking the yellow dye has something to do with this issue.

Orange

fpn_1338743989__1-img_0399.jpg

Diamine Orange

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2893/10158669164_2b04c648f0_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3364/3493707223_6bbdda1d76.jpghttp://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6721127831_e6d11916ba_m.jpg

So, now that I've scared you too, have you had nib crud? What did you do to solve it?

Is it harmful to the pen?

What causes it?

As always, we love pictures.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Icywolfe

• mhosea

• KateB_tps

I remember reading a post I think on FPN that someone contacted Diamine and they were going to change their ink formulation to reduce/eliminate that.

Yeah, its one thing to form, its another thing if it attacks and damages the nib.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

What th......

I never seen that before. Then again I clean thoroughly when I refill my pens, even if I use he same ink.

#Nope

I've never had crud with my Ancient Copper (thankfully, as it's one of my favorite inks) but I get it badly with Diamine Pumpkin. I am hoping that my recently received Diamine Autumn Oak doesn't make the crud, but I haven't tried it out yet, other than a dip.

For the record, I have never found it to be problematic or harmful for the pen, other than the fact that it stifles flow. A quick rinse or wipe and the crud is usually gone.

I've had it with one of my other Diamines, but I can't recall which one. I vaguely remember brown or reddish crud.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I've never had crud with my Ancient Copper (thankfully, as it's one of my favorite inks) but I get it badly with Diamine Pumpkin. I am hoping that my recently received Diamine Autumn Oak doesn't make the crud, but I haven't tried it out yet, other than a dip.

For the record, I have never found it to be problematic or harmful for the pen, other than the fact that it stifles flow. A quick rinse or wipe and the crud is usually gone.

I've had it with one of my other Diamines, but I can't recall which one. I vaguely remember brown or reddish crud.

Because you experienced crud. What is the crud exactly?

#Nope

It's dried ink. Some inks are more saturated and precipitate out the crud more easily... At least that's my theory. It dissolves in water very easily...

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

The only ink I've seen it with is Ancient Copper, but my ink collection is small. I haven't even had the AC very long, but it seems to me that the crud develops faster or worse when I'm writing something that involves lots of little pauses short enough that I don't bother to cap the pen. I just wipe it off when it gets really noticeable and keep writing, and I don't keep refilling the same pen with that ink without a good flush in between.

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

I had that with Ancient Copper. I flushed the pen and switched inks. For me, Ancient Copper isn't all that and a bag of Doritos.

Nib creep is when the ink hangs out on the nib, it isn't pretty, but it's not the end of world. In contrast, nib crud freaks me out. I start hyper-ventilating and swearing at the same time. I search for matches to scorch the dreaded plague that has come to my beloved pen.

Okay, well, that's not quite what happens.... Mostly I get anxious and I dump the ink.

So, here are some examples - I will find the Diamine Ancient Copper which looks different. Let me say that the first picture looks like mold or something really terrifying. The later ones are less scary. Most of the samples I have seen are orange inks, but I found two very yellow greens which did the same. So, I'm thinking the yellow dye has something to do with this issue.

Orange

fpn_1338743989__1-img_0399.jpg

Diamine Orange

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2893/10158669164_2b04c648f0_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3364/3493707223_6bbdda1d76.jpghttp://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6721127831_e6d11916ba_m.jpg

So, now that I've scared you too, have you had nib crud? What did you do to solve it?

Is it harmful to the pen?

What causes it?

As always, we love pictures.

Ur nib crud, I haz it.

With one ink only: Chesterfield Fire Opal (which I suspect is Diamine Orange).

How do I handle it? Rinse nib in water. Wipe.

Which is why that particular ink only goes in a five-dollar Jinhao 599. With an exactly-matching-Orange-Crush barrel.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I've had a small amount of that from Sailor Jentle Apricot. It looks odd, but rinses right off. Perhaps caps that allow ink to dry cause more to form?

Eww that first pic looks horrible... When I used Diamine's Yellow on my Lamy Vista I noticed that there was some crud around the nib, but just a little, not as much as shown in these photos. I noticed that my bottle of R&K Helianthus has some crud around the bottle cap and the edge as well. I guess it's dried ink? It seems to happen to yellow inks.

That looks like the zombie mold infected bugs that Elise Andrew (IFLS) posts on FaceBook.

Knock on wood, not something I have experienced.

Diamine Kelly Green and PW Akkerman #28 both do this for me. Pen low on ink and crud big on nib.

Yep, those are bright yellow greens.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hmmm...

Thank you, Vossad01!

I followed the link and that Liqueur looked like nib crud. Sorry I couldn't link the picture.

Never had anything that bad. Some Noodler's inks leave a black film behind for me.

I could see the buildup doing damage long-term if it got thick enough.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

:yikes:

How long is it taking for this crud to form?

Is it because the pen is not in regular use?

I use Ancient Copper, and have not seen anything like this.

Diamine Orange and Ochre can grow like that in my experience but strangely not in every pen. Some are more affected than others, presumably depending on factors like feed capacity and cap ventilation. So far I've had no problems that couldn't be resolved by dipping the nib into some water and wiping it with a rag, with the exception of a vintage orange pen where the crud seemed somehow to travel all over the closed cap and cover the inside of the cap and section, giving me brownish fingertips every time I grabbed the pen forgetting to wipe it thoroughly. That pen was slightly stained by the crud.

When I conducted a dry out experiment with Noodler's Heart of Darkness, this is how it behaved. It didn't dry in situ, rather wicked out onto the nib. It's dried ink, I think, nothing more, nothing less. What causes this physical phenomenon to be more likely with some inks than others, I don't know, but while I've never seen it on a pen that I wasn't trying to dry out with ink in it, I have no fear of it. I'd probably figure it's time to flush an reload, though.

Edited by mhosea

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

I don't recall having experienced this with anything at this time. Apache Sunset has a lot of yellow in it, haven't seen it there. Pen/ink combo maybe?

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain