Inky T O D - Do You Ever Buy Inks That Are Really Similar?

Blue_Moon

I really like reds and blues. With reds, I especially like dark reds or brownish reds. Diamine Oxblood is my favorite. I also prefer Diamine Syrah and Rustic Brown too. When I do the comparison with the three inks on the Goulet web site, I feel guilty about getting the three, because they are so close in color. I think Syrah is different enough, that I could probably justify buying the Oxblood and Syrah, or the Rustic Brown and Syrah. Syrah has purplish overtones but, even so, the three are still very close. Now Oxblood and Rustic Brown are so close to each other, I just can't come close to justify buying a bottle of each, even though I'd like them both.

People will say, "Don't buy the bottles, buy the samples." Even though I have in the past, I really prefer buying only bottles now. Does anyone else really want the varied colors, but hesitate over buying colors that are just so extremely close, but not quite the same?

http://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/photos/IS-D7079-2.jpghttp://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/photos/IS-D7067-2.jpghttp://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/photos/IS-D7076-2.jpg Samples from Goulet Pen Company Website

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Blue_Moon

• ac12

• Cyber6

Blue-Moon, I changed the title to make it an Inky TOD.

So let me start by saying that yes, I do sometimes buy colors that look the same.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_633c.jpg

That's Graf von Faber Castel Moss Green and Noodler's V-Mail GI Green.

Let's start with BIG difference in price, and I had no idea the colors were so similar.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hmpf... I can't find the image. What was going to say is that the two inks perform differently and look very different or dead alike depending on the paper.

Moss sheens - GI Green does not.

GI Green sort of glistens, Moss does not.

GI Green is more water resistant, and it is fade resistant..I don't know about Moss.

Both are wetter writing inks, but I do have colors that are similar but the flow is radically different.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I very often buy inks that look the same because I love comparing other properties like flow rates....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

So many shades of blue so little time!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Who is, apart from their wallet?

Har, har

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Umm, yes, yes I do. My bottle of Oku-Yama and three bottles of Grenade next to each other kinda laugh in my face about this.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

I am currently on a kick to buy every blue ink I can get my hands on. My wife thinks I'm crazy--and for that matter I think my friends in the local pen club might as well! But hey, scratch what itches!

I have a bottle of Kon-Peki and Edelstein Topaz.

Every now and then when I have both inks in different pens and go to refill them I have no clue which ink is in which pen!

Like pakmanpony said, so many blues, so little time. Most of the inks I've bought are in the blue and blue-black and purple range. I really like Ancient Copper and Oxblood. OS Walt Whitman is the odd ink of the collection (if you want to call it that).

Does anyone else really want the varied colors, but hesitate over buying colors that are just so extremely close, but not quite the same?

http://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/photos/IS-D7079-2.jpghttp://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/photos/IS-D7067-2.jpghttp://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/photos/IS-D7076-2.jpg Samples from Goulet Pen Company Website

The scary part is... I find those swatches quite different from each other.. as in REALLY different.

I guess that happens when you have 100+ bottles and you need to justify getting more..... "Is not the same, is a TOTALLY different reddish-burgundy-thingy...."... ;)

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

:wub: I too thought they were totally different.

I've had the same thought recently. I've just bought sherwood green to use as a dark green, but it doesn't look much different to umber which I bought as a dull green.

As an aside, it's been suggested that women are much more likely than men to be Tertrachromats, and so have a greater ability to differentiate colours.

This tells you about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromacy

Edited by WateryFlow

I own 5 blue inks and it is set to increase so having near duplicates is inevitable.

Edited by top pen

:wub: I too thought they were totally different.

I can tell a very small difference in Oxblood and Rustic Brown when looking at the swatches, but just to look at the names (above the swatches) - if I just saw writing in those two colors, without benefit of the swatches, I wouldn't be able to tell which was which. The Syrah is close, but, as mentioned above, there's a purplish there, that is not in the others.

Edited by Blue_Moon

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I have a bottle of Heart of Darkness. then I bought Old Manhattan Black...

MontBlanc Midnight Blue (old formula) and Chesterfield Archival (aka. Diamine Registrars)

I have a lot of black inks. Come to think of it, I have 4 different black inks at work! MB Mystery Black, Aurora Black, HoD, and Dark Matter. I haven't counted recently, but probably at least 20 different black inks at home.

Edited by colrehogan
Smith Premier No. 4