Inky T O D - Where Do You Buy Ink?

amberleadavis

Where do you buy ink?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Where do buy ink?

• Online Stores - Which one?
    • Retail Stores(s) - In person - Where?
    • Retail Stores - by Phone - Which ones?
    • Pen Shows
    • Group Buys
    • Specialty Brokers - Tell us more about this, please.
    • Classifieds
    • Friends, Family, Gifts and PIFs
    • Antique Stores, Thrift Shops etal
    • Other Places - where?

So, where do you buy your inks? Tell us the websites or stores, we want to know.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Bookman

• English

• mikeschu

ipenstore, goulet. Used to love Swisher Pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I miss Swisher Pens! I buy from Goulet and I Sell Pens. I also have an art store within a reasonable distance that I buy from sometimes, usually on impulse.

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

Online, I've purchased several from Goulet. I've picked up a few bottles at pen shows, and one bottle at a local shop (Pippi's Pen Shoppe, York, PA)

Larry

Amazon, Goulet, iSellPens. Mostly Noodler's inks.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I've bought from Goulet, Anderson, isellpens, Vaness. And from FPH when I got my first pens.

When in their respective cities I always buy something in-store from FLAX (SF), MaiDo (SF, San Jose), Bittner Pens (Carmel), Corrick's (Santa Rosa), Pennyweight (St. Helena), and University Art Center (Palo Alto). I feel guilty if I don't. Two weeks ago I bought ink (among other things) from both MaiDo stores, but didn't get a chance to visit the other Bay Area shops. I buy Waterman inks at the UC Davis Bookstore. Online I mostly buy from Goulet Pens. They had me at hello. I also buy from Jet Pens. It has more from the Japanese inkmakers. A few years ago, for no apparent reason, Sailor Jentle Blue was impossible to get in the US. I bought 2 bottles from Andy's Pens in the UK. I loved Swisher Pens. I didn't buy much from Art Brown. Five years ago I bought a bottle of Old Manhattan Black from Fountain Pen Hospital. It took two weeks to get delivered.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Most of my ink comes from Goulet Pen Company. There are 2 reasons for this. First is the great service. Second, the closest retail store, Duly Noted, is about 300 km round trip from my place, so buying on line is easier. I do enjoy buying in person, but I wish it was closer.

Goulet Pens (online), Cult Pens (Deep Dark series) (online), MB boutique in San Antonio (phone), and group buy (FPN) for my Akkerman inks.

Edited by colrehogan
Smith Premier No. 4

Online, I've bought from the Goulets, Amazon (for something like Quink) and JetPens (two bottles of Diamine = free shipping). I've also bought a couple of bottles from the Classifieds.

I've also traded for a bottle on another (non-FP related) forum.

Edited by mikeschu

At the Vanness pen store almost 100% of the time ... http://vanness1938.com They have just about every available ink, many decades of knowledge of the fountain pen industry, the best prices, and the best service in the marketplace. The have only been in the fountain pen business for 70+ years. Paid them a visit this afternoon and came out with some goodies.

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

The ink I use most frequently is the Paradise Pen ink and Waterman ink.

I buy both from Paradise Pen shop in Tyson's Corner Shopping Center.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

So far only Goulet Pens, but I'm still new to this whole thing, so there haven't been too many purchases yet!

Let's see. Goulet for a lot, Anderson's for US Sailor inks, Dromgooles for MB and exclusives, Atsu(a broker of a sort) for small orders of Sailor Bespoke inks and Kobe ink, and finally White Rabbit express(a forwarding service) for my large(4+) orders of Sailor Bespoke ink.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Most of what I have currently (ok all the Diamine and all the Noodler's- a total of 7 bottles) from Goulet. In the past, I have bought from Levenger - both Raven Black and Cobalt Blue. Also a local art supply store (my first bottle of Pelikan 4001 Blue Black) and from a fellow FPN'r my most recent bottle of same.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

online - isellpens, www.zellerwritingcompany.com, engeika.com (kind of a broker I think)

Montblanc boutiques - their ink isn't insanely priced actually

vanness1938, by phone

I'll buy an occasional bottle at stores (Yay for Flax and Maido) but it always strikes me how much of a premium I'm paying when I'm buying this way.

For really exotic and hard to find inks I'll occasionally use pendimonium or penboard.de

Oh, and I've only been to one pen show, but I got a few great bottles there

Most of my ink has come from classifieds on forums. Thank you FPN. :)

I like to stop by Maido when I am in the San Jose area to pick up some more of my favorite Japanese ink, nowadays it's sailor sei boku. I really enjoy buying something in person from a small local business, it's much more satisfying than going to a mega retail chain like staples, Office Depot/Max or Wallmart or buying something on Amazon.

... I'll buy an occasional bottle at stores (Yay for Flax and Maido) but it always strikes me how much of a premium I'm paying when I'm buying this way...

. :)

I agree. I know I pay more in-store than I would online. And I confess I buy more online than off. But I buy something—a notebook or two or three, a bottle or two of ink (at Christmas time I need a shopping cart)—every visit because I want FLAX and MaiDo and the other stores I mentioned to still be there when I show up the next time. I prefer to shop for paper products in-store where I can get a good look at everything. I like to lay my hands on the notebooks and on the paper inside. It takes a lot of the crapshoot out of buying something I haven't tried before. The premium I pay I consider taxation with representation.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.