Inky T O D - What Ink Do Buy Despite The Bottle?

amberleadavis

We've all ... okay most all of us ... have bought inks because of the cool bottle.

But some inks don't come in bottles, they come in little pouches.

What ink(s) do you buy even if you hate the bottle or it doesn't come in a bottle.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sotto2

• JeanManuel

• amberleadavis

• FloatingFountain

Oh dear, probably Private Reserve Rose Rage, the bottle is downright boring.

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

I'm boring. I buy inks for the ink. The container doesn't count, with one exception.

I bought two bottles of old, expired Mont Blanc Blue Black ink, for the bottles. The ink had degraded and was no longer ink, but I was expecting that. So, really, I bought the bottles for the bottles.

However, some inks do come with bonzer bottles (Mont Blanc, Lamy, Parker Penman), and it is a pleasure to re-purpose them after the contents are finished.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

J Herbin inks. My favouries are Eclat de Saphir, Bleu Nuit and Violette Pensee. But the bottles are small and low and a pen with a large nib can only be filled a few times before the ink level gets to low. The bottles look nice but are not practical.

J Herbin inks. My favouries are Eclat de Saphir, Bleu Nuit and Violette Pensee. But the bottles are small and low and a pen with a large nib can only be filled a few times before the ink level gets to low. The bottles look nice but are not practical.

Get some modelling clay and stick the bottle onto a back corner in the clay. Use enough to stabilize the bottle and you can get a couple more fills from the bottle that way. And I agree, those bottles are a PITA.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Diamine saddle brown...athough when I ordered the bottle I didn't realise there was such a big difference between the 30ml and 50ml bottles. Its one of my favourite inks at the moment

Oh, Noodler's!

I understand the philosophy behind filling the bottle to the brim... but I would pay the same amount (and be happier) for a partly emptied bottle where I didn't have to worry about spilling ink everywhere for the first few fills.

I still buy Noodler's though. Bulletproof Black is by far my favourite ink.

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

I'd go with pouches, some Paris ink maker ships that way....if I had empty bottles.

Being cheap, always in search of new inks....when the bottle gets low....it gets 'saved'. :doh:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Agree totally. Awful bottles to fill from but some of my favourite inks. The 100ml bottles are even more unwieldy.

Agree on the J Herbin bottles. Thanks, AndrewC for the clay suggestion. I've used a thin book to prop it up but it can go skittering off it.

Another is the Namiki Blue bottle. After it reaches the halfway mark, it is a pain to fill a fountain pen from it. It is a favorite of mine so I have even tried emptying it into another ink bottle to use.

Get some modelling clay and stick the bottle onto a back corner in the clay. Use enough to stabilize the bottle and you can get a couple more fills from the bottle that way. And I agree, those bottles are a PITA.

Thank you. I will try modelling clay. I use to balance the bottle on one corner but it´s an accident waiting to happen.

Hasn't mattered, really. But to dig for an answer, and an honest one, I'd have to say all inks because nothing comes in old Sheaffer's ink well bottles anymore. I'd have to make an exception if I ever bought an Akkerman ink, though. They're very cool and have their own inventive ink well.

A. All 1670s, cuz my M1000 says "CHOKE".

B. All Noodler's (whatever size) cuz they're all too full (yeah, yeah, I know why....) But alone their names and labels are all fantastic.

C. All plastic bottles simply because I prefer glass....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Hasn't mattered, really. But to dig for an answer, and an honest one, I'd have to say all inks because nothing comes in old Sheaffer's ink well bottles anymore. I'd have to make an exception if I ever bought an Akkerman ink, though. They're very cool and have their own inventive ink well.

Levenger ink bottles have a plastic insert that is an ink well and it works very well.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Sailor: the bottle isn't tall enough for most of my pens and I have to take out the plastic insert just to fit the pens into the bottle held at a slant while I fill.

Noodler's 4.5 oz: I love the brand, and I buy the larger bottles when possible, but they're too narrow to fill from easily, and I need somewhere to set the eyedropper down while I fill.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

At one time or another:

Levenger (kept the empty Raven Black bottle)

Pelikan

Noodler's - kind of boring

Diamine

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I decant most inks, but I have no love for the Herbin or Sailor bottles, which are pretty but not terribly functional. I am going to start asking Diamond to stop sending me the glass 80ml bottles, since I have a rack of empties and prefer the plastic bottles for storage.

I bought this little 30ml bottle of Diamine Soft Mint from my local pen store. I really like the color but the bottle is so boring! Just a long rectangular prism with a screw top. All the 30ml bottles of Diamine are like that. I really like the Diamine colors so I'll probably be buying more.

I'll keep on struggling, 'cause that's the measure of a man.

Another is the Namiki Blue bottle. After it reaches the halfway mark, it is a pain to fill a fountain pen from it. It is a favorite of mine so I have even tried emptying it into another ink bottle to use.

My bottle of Namiki Blue has a plastic insert that fills with ink when the bottle is inverted, so this isn't an issue.