Inky T O D - Lubricating Inks

amberleadavis

So, we seem to have some imprecise word usage.

Lubricating inks are NOT actually the same as Wet Writing inks.

Lubricating inks should reduce wear on the parts around them. Noodler's makes a few lines of inks (polar and eel) that have special lubricants that help preserve the seals. I believe the Edelstein inks have more lubricating qualities than other Pelikan inks.

Do you use lubricating inks and if so why?

If not, why not?

Is lubrication important to you?

Also, perhaps some of the ink gurus can lend some advice to us all about the pros and cons of lubricating inks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Anne-Sophie

• Morames

• pajaro

I have used Noodler's black eel ink, but didn't notice that it had much effect on my piston fillers. The effect must be subtle. Otherwise it seemed to be an excellent ink. Where lubrication seemed to be important I just plastered some silicon gel inside the barrel.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

One problem with lubricating inks is that they dry slowly, even in Las Vegas.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I use Noodler's Blue Eel, in part because the color is reminiscent of Parker Penman Sapphire and also because I have an Omas Paragon piston that seemed to not fully move, compared to my other Paragons. It was like that out of the box, and I wouldn't have known any different had I not already owned three other Paragons in different colors.

After two fills (which in fact were only partial fills), the third time I went to fill it the blind cap twisted as far as the other Paragons. So since then, I've used Noodler's Blue Eel, even though it dries slowly, in that pen.

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

• 2 months later...

Besides being told an ink is lubricating, how can we tell when reviewing an ink how much lubrication is has. I was given a bottle of Parker Quink Blue-Black and the person who gave it to me said it had some lubricating properties. I thought cool, but are we talking dish soap or something?

Lubricity sí. Lubrication no.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Nope, no need to buy any. Besides the only lubricating ink I know of is made by "Name that must not be mentioned but could be mistaken for the word Poodlers" and I don't buy that stuff anymore.

Edited by RudyR

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Nope, no need to buy any. Besides the only lubricating ink I know of is made by "Name that must not be mentioned but could be mistaken for the word Poodlers" and I don't buy that stuff anymore.

Monteverde Inks are but one, several companies make them.

My only lubricating ink is Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel. I use it for the color.

I'm using it now, and just finished using Rattler Red - it took out a nasty stain without jeopardizing any moving parts.

From this:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140706_133641.jpg

To This

After lots of flushing and cleaning

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140706_195944.jpg

And after one round of Rattler Red.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140712_165723.jpg

I was actually just pondering tossing Rattler Red into my TWSBI today, actually! Ended up with Diamine Asa Blue, but I've just been on a blue kick lately.

I've used it a fair bit in my normal pens as a good, rich-looking red, and haven't had any trouble with it at all, myself.

• 7 months later...

From this:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140706_133641.jpg

To This

After lots of flushing and cleaning

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140706_195944.jpg

And after one round of Rattler Red.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140712_165723.jpg

Would you explain that miracle?

I have always been told that ink with any hint of red dye in them will stain a pen.

Herbin Bouquet d'Antan, the faintest of pink has stained a light pink pen in acrylic, colorful plastic.

I might just have to use that ink in all my pinks and purples.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

One problem with lubricating inks is that they dry slowly, even in Las Vegas.

I have been tinkering around with making fountain pen ink and I find that adding extra glycerin slows the flow and takes longer to dry. I wonder if that's what they call lubricated ink?

Would you explain that miracle?

I have always been told that ink with any hint of red dye in them will stain a pen.

Herbin Bouquet d'Antan, the faintest of pink has stained a light pink pen in acrylic, colorful plastic.

I might just have to use that ink in all my pinks and purples.

OOPS, I wrote detailed reply and now it isn't here.

Long and short, I don't know enough about the chemistry to tell you, so from my perspective, it's magic.

The part that isn't magic.... Many years ago, I remember NT talking about the detergents in Skrip vintage ink, and how it could remove stains (and do some other bad stuff). The chemicals that lubricate (including glycerin) are also used in detergents. That's not to say that glycerin would remove stains or is the miracle ingredient, only that this long ago statement by Mr. Noodler's that I may be misremembering, prompted me to try this - I also thought he suggested the Red Skrip ink, so I started with Red inks. Finally, let me say I use mostly demonstrators and red inks have never been my problem children.

I have been tinkering around with making fountain pen ink and I find that adding extra glycerin slows the flow and takes longer to dry. I wonder if that's what they call lubricated ink?

I don't know if the extra glycerin is what makes it lubricating, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

OOPS, I wrote detailed reply and now it isn't here.

Long and short, I don't know enough about the chemistry to tell you, so from my perspective, it's magic.

The part that isn't magic.... Many years ago, I remember NT talking about the detergents in Skrip vintage ink, and how it could remove stains (and do some other bad stuff). The chemicals that lubricate (including glycerin) are also used in detergents. That's not to say that glycerin would remove stains or is the miracle ingredient, only that this long ago statement by Mr. Noodler's that I may be misremembering, prompted me to try this - I also thought he suggested the Red Skrip ink, so I started with Red inks. Finally, let me say I use mostly demonstrators and red inks have never been my problem children.

Thanks Amberlea!

I only use colorful CC pens, so I was very very surprised to see a darker line in the cap of my colorful acrylic pens.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Thanks Amberlea!

I only use colorful CC pens, so I was very very surprised to see a darker line in the cap of my colorful acrylic pens.

Oh, yuck, what a bummer. When I got the first stain, Konrad told me to try Grey Soap, but I couldn't find any easily. I guess it is easy to find in Poland. Anyway, grey soap, whatever that is, does a great job with stains. I've also heard good things about Lava soap for cleaning brushes and pens.