Inky T O D - Ink Colors At Work?

amberleadavis

Colors in the Office  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Check every color you use, and tell us about it.

• Black
    • Blue
    • Red
    • Yellow
    • Purple
    • Green
    • Orange
    • Blue-Black
    • Turquoise
    • Retinal Searing Colors (BSB etal) They aren't like any other ink.
    • Burgundy (or Wine colors)
    • All the other great colors
    • Brown

Tell us about your color choices and if you can / do use them at work.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ac12

• cybaea

• ellenspn

I use Diamine Majestic Blue at work. I find it formal and outstanding due to its very dark shade and sometimes red overtones ( red overtones are very subtle with fine nibs but easily noticed with broader nibs).

Edited by yamaha_no_46

Blue, Black and Blue-Black for general use, typically this is MB Midnight Blue, MB Royal Blue, an Iroshizuku blue, or Sailor Jentle Blue.

Orange for notes on papers that I read for me, annotations comments, thoughts etc. This is MB Ink of Joy while there is some remaining, soon it will be Iroshizuku Yu Yake or Sailor Jentle Apricot.

Turquoise for things that I am editing or students work that I am marking, this tends to be MB Balzac Dandy Turquoise.

When I think of it like that... why do I have so many other inks?!

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

Working from home has certain advantages. One of them is being able to use whichever inks I want anytime I want.

Today, I'm using Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun in a fancy new pen.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

I use everything except black and blue-black because those are the the most boring colors imagineable.

But i have to admit that i get some weird looks when i sign stuff in Apache Sunset...

In the end it very much depends on what your "work" is.

Can use either Red, Blue or Green for marking. Any suggestions for variations of these colours would be much appreciated! :)

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

I almost always have one standard blue (usually Aurora or Waterman Serenity) and one blue-black (Waterman Mysterious is a favorite). Lately, I've been using Akkerman Shocking Blue a lot.

Waterman inks are great for notes on student papers and darker blues are my favorite for research notes on yellow legal pads.

All my work is done on the computer, so making notes with a pen it totally up to me, so I'm sitting here with 4 inked pens in various colors, but tend to stick to blue and black for most of my work notes.

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

I suppose that depends somewhat on what the meaning of the '/' between can and do is :)

Colors I can use?

I think I can use whatever color I want, though there may be cases where I should be mindful of situational appropriateness. I am a programmer so I have little opportunity to write (except on whiteboards). When I do it is generally notes for myself.

Would use?

Anything I had a cause to use and is what I have available. Currently my pens/ink at work all consist of mixes of undocumented proportions brought to work today so the pens will get emptied faster at which point I will clean and put away the pens (too many inked at the moment).

Want to use?

Not black. I just had a few black (Pilot Varsity backup pen) after my pink (well since we are being more accurate pale dusty burgundy [dilute Saguaro wine + dilute Noodler's Black]) ran out. To be honest the pink mix was nothing exciting (and to me a bit of a strange choice), but going back to black after it showed me how much I dislike 'just' black now. I might tend away from the retina-searing ones because my notes can get pretty dense, so not sure that would be a good experience. I also have not used many retina-searing inks to really know.

Have used?

Black

Diamine mix that was blood red tending towards brown

Diamine mix that was a purple

Diamine mix that was a dark teal

The mentioned dusty pink mix

Noodler's mix that is orange

Noodler's mix that was to be a dark blue or possibly blue black but picked up green hints from somewhere

Noodler's and Diamine mix of 'leftover' ink that is currently a very dark denim almost black

Edited to correct grammar

Edited by vossad01

I pretty much keep everything Black/Blue/Blue-Black/Red on documents FOR work. I will take notes and jot things down in any color I please. But the actual documents I produce for work have to be in professional colors, with edits done in red.

I use Cross/Pelikan blue and Waterman Florida blue, depending on which pen I use.

I also have Black ink, mostly with Cross/Pelikan black.

I am looking for a DARK blue, green or red to use in the office, as an alternative to blue and black. But this search is going slowly.

Dark blue may be, Diamine Midnight or Majestic blue.

Dark green may be, Diamine green-black or Sherwood green.

Dark red may be, Diamine Red Dragon or a home made mix of red+black to get me a DARK red.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

When I worked for a pharmaceutical company we were required to use either permanent blue or black ink for signing documents. It was part of the FDA requirements for submitting documentation.

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

The notebooks/pads supplied at work are pretty dreadful as far as FP inks are concerned. I used to take my own, better quality, notebooks, but have since changed my mind.

The inks I use at work are more because they work on the supplied paper products, not because of the colours.

I now use Sheaffer Skrip Blue in a dry-writing (almost wrote retching there...) pen, not because of the colour, but because that combination works without feathering/bleeding.

Post-It notes are a particular challenge. I now use Noodler's Black for those. Other inks tend not to be dry by the time I hand the Post-It to the other person, and they don't appreciate getting a mirror image of my message on their hands.

So, for me, it's performance, rather than colour that is important.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

For personal notes i do the main body in black, blue-black, and occasionally a burgundy (Pelikan Violet, Noodler's Purple Heart, Diamine Oxblood, etc). When i want to emphasize something or for marginalia I will use an orange (Noodler's Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Orange Crush, Diamine Ancient Copper) red (right now Rattler Red), or green.

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/nq/9df5e10593.gif

-- Avatar Courtesy of Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens (thank you for allowing people to use the logo Brian!) --

Because I worked for a security company, all the documents that I worked with were potentially admissible in court (never actually happened, but could have). The only permissible color was black.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

I'll use essentially anything I own at work...for "legal" documents I tend toward darker colors but that is my only compromise. Currently using Yama Dori.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I think the browns are very usable at work too

I added Brown.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY