J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite (340Th Anniversary Ink) - A Truly Fine & Bloody Vulcanic Ink It Is! No, The Title Is Not Vulgar, - Read On

Awordworth

Hi all (well all who read this anyway),

Since I am so very new to FPN, and indeed 'fountain pennery' itself, may I begin by welcoming me to you and you to me. Hi.

I'll follow up my beginning by an inevitably inadequate offer of heartfelt thanks for all that is this wonderful site - namely you all.

Many thanks for what you've created here - each and every one of you.

I'm a long suffering bad handwriter (so much so that I even made up that word for it), born of parents, each with exquisite and unique handwriting.

Frequently reminded how disappointing my handwriting was, with the (way too) many calligraphy books, sets, pleas and criticisms offered / thrown at me being no help at all.

It's so bad that Chemists think I'm a Doctor, Doctors gloat when, if they see mine, for the first time they feel better about their handwriting, and sometimes children & teachers weep in rare displays of empathic shared horror, and my eyes bleed (OK, some of that last sentence is 'slight' exaggeration -but only the words-).

Long story short, my Dad's recently suffered a stroke, and I too am dealing with significant ongoing health issues. The outcomes of these 'issues' mean we each have more time, & new found appreciations for its uses.

Therefore, our shared appreciation of schadenfreude, combined with Mel Brook's Zen like & subtle -yet eloquent- bons mots; "Tragedy is when I cut my finger, Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die", has led me to consider some shared occupational therapy for us both.

So I have 'teased' him with the challenge that, for a brief window, as he slowly progresses through the process of recovery, there just might be a period (hopefully brief) during which his greatly diminished beautiful hand is to be 'put up against' my eagerly progressing writing skills. Whereby, while his handwriting may currently be worse than what I can output, through a desire to retrain myself, and am aiming to improve exponentially - and his (again hopefully) returns - literally with a flourish, will reside a wonderful race - with no losers!

Living at opposite ends of such a huge lump of island, we will have plenty of reasons and opportunities to 'tease' the other with our offerings via the post.

Very happy I am to be able to say that we're both now lovingly interested in the competitive and supportive outcome(s).

Each 'offering' guaranteed to both leave and arrive with a smile! (not to mention a loving 'kick in the pants')

My sincere hope is for cherished and wonderful writing outcomes for us both!

OK, now let us take a dip the ink (be warned, it's going to get mighty hot though)!

I'm not sure that I can add much to what's already been said about this ink, because the comprehensive and engaging reviews on it in FPN (and subsequent comments) are what piqued my interest in this ink in the first place.

To say that having now used it myself (arrived in the post only 12 hours ago), has added to the rapidly progressive and delightful madness that is this magnificently esoteric, and by it's very nature, instantly communicative craft (and its many and varied associated necessities and accessories), is a gross understatement.

I do not own a printer (or rather I do, but can't justify the cost of a replacement cartridge, since I can't work the hours I previously could), so I can't print out - and complete the standardised review forms others so thoughtfully provide.

Nor, due to my relative youth (in relation to this endeavour, -and to my Dad, and other really, really old people, or the 'Pinus longaeva') - re the use of Fountain Pens, Inks, Papers etc, etc*, can I compare this ink to any others......yet.

*(& one more 'etc' - because there are soooooo many other 'things' / accessories as mentioned above)

What I can add to the reviews already here is this:

The green / gold hues that others have mentioned in their reviews do exist, and they are (to me) such a luxurious and 'happy' thing to see. I say this because I smiled at the simple beauty that's the outcome of, what I imagine is undoubtedly such a very complex and passionate 'job', that the creation of this ink must have been.

---Not to mention the truly Promethean* history inherent in this fine ink, but please read on make sense of this sentence.

*adj 1. Greek Mythology Relating to or suggestive of Prometheus.

2. Boldly creative; defiantly original.
n.
One who is boldly creative or defiantly original in behaviour or actions.

--When I possibly can, I create jewellery, and as such, work in lapidary when the opportunity and access to 'lapping equipment' presents itself, therefore I already had an interest in the 'Hematite' part of this ink's name, and consequently found the following within the site of a Company that sells Commercial minerals -from this link-

Hematite Powder

http://www.manoharinternational.com/storage/category_images/172/4_1365229890_hematite-powder.jpg

We are leading manufacturer, exporter and supplier of Hematite powder with specific gravity 4.5 to 5.0 from India.

Hematite is an important ore of iron and it's blood red colour (in the powdered form) lends itself well in use as a pigment. Hematite gets its name from a Greek word meaning blood-like because of the colour of its powder. Ancient superstition held that large deposits of Hematite formed from battles that were fought and the subsequent blood that flowed into the ground. Crystals of Hematite are considered rare and are sought after by collectors as are fine Kidney Ore specimens.

Application of Hematite Powder :

(1.) High Specific Gravity Hematite Powder is used in Oil Drilling.
(2.) Use as a Pigment in various Industries.
(3.) Used in Paints Manufacturing as a Raw Material.
----and, I think, even better still, the inks tectonic heritage as explained in the following:

Named for the Greek word aimatodes, meaning “bloodlike,” in reference to the mineral’s colour and streak. Hematite is extremely common with thousands of localities with exceptional crystals from Switzerland, Romania, Italy, England, Norway, Brazil, South Africa, Algeria, and the United States. Hematite occurs as an accessory mineral in igneous rocks, as a sublimate in volcanic rocks, in high-temperature hydrothermal veins, a contact metamorphism product, in metamorphosed banded iron formations, as a cement in sedimentary and a constituent in oolitic iron formations, and it is abundant on weathered iron-bearing minerals.

...So, in short, (if as mentioned, it does indeed include Hematite in its contents) if you do get to use this ink, then you and your chosen pen, nib and paper, are literally, and in absolute fact, about to be writing through the very vein of a once molten filled millennia old volcano's heart! And before your inky magma has cooled and dried, and the massive 'plume' of that last statement settles into your consciousness, don't forget that metaphorically (and mythologically), what you're about to write flows from the rivers of blood spilled in Hellenic (and earlier) battles, so put that through your nib and ponder!

Now! Quick! Rush (or rather, 'Rushdie') out now, grab yourself a bottle and gush off some volcanic verses!

Although please - save at least one bottle for when I can afford another,

because if you'd seen what my Dad's writing was like, and what mine is like now, I'm going to need all the help I can get!

........So in conclusion, regards this wonderous ink, just where in fact do the gold and green hues discussed come from?
On these issues, I'm just not sure. Although lets face it, - when one is so intimately dealing (or actually writing) with the very Myth, Creation and Geology of this lump we all reside on (and occasionally try to share), what can you expect?....

....Well actually anything!!!!

(I so very much hope that the writer Tom Robbins gets to meet this ink and my review of it, I'm confidant he'd agree with quite a lot of what I've said. Hey Tom, "Beetroots"!)

Hope you enjoyed this review as much as I have in its creation,

John (Awordworth)

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated, I'm slowly learning how this forum works (and maybe also, it me).

The picture of proof:

In the image that (I hope) follows, my lettering at the top is a Diamine 'Dark Brown' ink cartridge through a delightful old Sheaffer No Nonsense fountain pen with an italic 'B' nib, which was given to me at the recent Melbourne Pen Show by the man who is so wonderfully full of life and spirit, that (and in his own words); "they couldn't root, shoot or electrocute", Mike A.

This pen to me, is simply gorgeous, especially given that it was a gift, and I'd probably not have afforded myself one anytime soon.

To me, it's as though it were a delight, filled pen of potential.

It has been received in the spirit with which it was given - thanks again Mike - blessings to you.

Below it, see the Herbin 'Hematite' arrow and the circles it's pointing towards to see slight evidence of the 'green' and obvious highlights of the 'gold' that can appear in this ink.

Look out Dad - I'm in the write lane!

PS. no more edits - I promise (virgos!)

PPS. Some Virgos just can't help themselves (not me though)

PPPPPPS. Well, what did you expect?

post-108512-0-47977000-1385393366_thumb.jpg

Edited by Awordworth
“My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground on which I stand.”

Attributed to the Buddha

(C 563bC - C 483 BC)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Pickwick

• Awordworth

• georges zaslavsky

Very nice review! I especially liked the chemistry and history lesson that went along with it.

Rube

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.
-George Carlin
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.pngfpn_1327044342__postcard_pic_exchange.jp

WOW this is AWESOME!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Well good on yer, Mate! Your expressive writing brought back memories of meeting your fellow Ossies during my sojourn in Singapore when I was at sea in my youth, and what good times we had! That was over 50 years ago, so thanks for the recall.

Here's wishing you a G'day and hope all goes well with your Dad.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

To Ruben, Amber and Pickwick,

great barrel fulls of thanks for your recognition, kind words and feedback!

So much more so because I'm new to the site and it's my first review, and more so because reviews are my favourite part of this site, so hope is to be able to make worthy additions to this part of the forum.

Pickwick, my Dad was a writer with the R.A.N. at about the same time you were at sea, and he tells MANY stories of what Singapore (and other nearby Asian ports) was like back then.

That he tells a fine tale adds to the enjoyment of hearing these memories when he can, and does share them.

In fact I'm now wondering if you ever got to see him and some of his fellow shipmates performing the infamous R.A.N. sailor's 'Dance of the flaming _____", at one of the many bars in what was the OLD Bugis Street.

A traditional and charming ritualistic dance that once witnessed, never ever forgotten. Never.

“My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground on which I stand.”

Attributed to the Buddha

(C 563bC - C 483 BC)

To Ruben, Amber and Pickwick,

great barrel fulls of thanks for your recognition, kind words and feedback!

So much more so because I'm new to the site and it's my first review, and more so because reviews are my favourite part of this site, so hope is to be able to make worthy additions to this part of the forum.

Pickwick, my Dad was a writer with the R.A.N. at about the same time you were at sea, and he tells MANY stories of what Singapore (and other nearby Asian ports) was like back then.

That he tells a fine tale adds to the enjoyment of hearing these memories when he can, and does share them.

In fact I'm now wondering if you ever got to see him and some of his fellow shipmates performing the infamous R.A.N. sailor's 'Dance of the flaming _____", at one of the many bars in what was the OLD Bugis Street.

A traditional and charming ritualistic dance that once witnessed, never ever forgotten. Never.

To my regret I never saw the performance. Lost count after the first two bars!

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

:W2FPN:

I had noticed that you are new, but your review is anything but inexperienced. We are sure glad to have you aboard.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...

looks like a nice red copper color :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Just thought I'd share a doodle.

http://sheismylawyer.com/2013-FADE/slides/2013-FADE_119.jpg

• 1 month later...

There are many reviews of this ink around the interwebs, thanks for putting this one up so long ago.

update for those who might be trying to decide if they want to invest in this glorious ink: go ahead. I do not believe you would regret adding it to your collection. however:

1. The initial issue of this ink contained fine metallic particles that settled to the bottom of the bottle. They produced marvelous green and glinting highlight effects as the ink dried, especially if the ink went down thick or wet.

2. The current production runs, after 2013, appear NOT to include the ultrafine metallic particles.

3. I, and apparently others, have had mold develop in our Herbin Hematite Red 1670 bottles.

4. The 1670 line of Herbin fountain pen inks now includes a lovely blue. Someday there may be others.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I have some of the (possibly not original, but second run) batch with the big flecks of gold in it. I don't use it much (I have better, truer, reds) -- but I tried a sample of it a few years ago just to see what the fuss was about. And found I really liked the underlying color, even though it was a brick red.

My experience with the 1670 line inks has been mixed, though. The original version of Bleu Ocean (without the particles) was overhyped IMO. It was okay, but nothing special -- and not worth all the crazy excitement about its release. I've since gotten a sample of the version with the gold color dust -- and again, meh.... Stormy Grey? I bought a full bottle without trying a sample first -- just based on a written exemplar I saw at a table at DCSS that year. Love it. :wub: But the next two, Emeralds of Chivor and Caroube de Chyre? Not so much. EoC has the amazing sheen, but I don't like the underlying color; and CdC was, like Bleu Ocean, sort of just meh....

But I'm glad for the two I do have. I should think about pulling Rouge Hematite out again -- I used to run it in a cheap Chines pen with a fude nib, and am now wondering how it would do in the Pelikan M100, which has a 1 mm nib (right now I have one of the Diamine Shimmer inks in that pen).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."