Monteverde Brown 2013 - Bottle

Sandy1

➤ Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below. As the patches are neutral Grey, that is what you should see.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/27ddb717.jpg

➤ As Photo*ucket lost the basic functionality to display linked files as required and includes advertising with linked images, the HiRes images are embedded. I apologise should that choice slow your display times.

~|≈|~

Note Well:
- This Review was undertaken after Member iliadodyssey piqued my curiosity by mentioning that the current bottled version of Monteverde Brown did not have the water resistance demonstrated by Monteverde Brown in my 29 November 2010 Ink Review.
- Suspecting that there was an unannounced reformulation, and knowing that high water resistance is prized by many, I inveigled a sample from a friend to see what's what and to share my findings.
- Unfortunately Member iliadodyssey was correct: The water resistance of this ink scored Zero [0] on the 4S Scale, "Nothing left but wrinkled paper. Recycle."

-|=|-

Fidelity

Figure 1.
Swabs & Swatch
Paper: HPJ1124.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Monteverde%20Brown%202013%20-%20Bottle/INK232_zps85d2fd6f.jpg
Figure 2.
NIB-ism
Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.
Distance between feint vertical pencil lines is 25mm.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Monteverde%20Brown%202013%20-%20Bottle/INK234_zpsf5b769be.jpg

L ➠ R: P99, 45, Prelude.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick
Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 3.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Monteverde%20Brown%202013%20-%20Bottle/INK235_zps03c8e7fa.jpg
Figure 4.
Paper: Rhodia.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Monteverde%20Brown%202013%20-%20Bottle/INK236_zps27ca8592.jpg

Figure 5.
Paper: G Lalo.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Monteverde%20Brown%202013%20-%20Bottle/INK237copy_zpsdb1614e1.jpg

Figure 6.
Paper: Royal.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Monteverde%20Brown%202013%20-%20Bottle/INK238_zpsb37c2356.jpg

Figure 7.
Paper: Staples White.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Monteverde%20Brown%202013%20-%20Bottle/INK239_zps27b2dc8d.jpg

Figure 8.
Paper: Staples Creme.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Monteverde%20Brown%202013%20-%20Bottle/INK240_zpsd286b4d1.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 9.
Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Monteverde%20Brown%202013%20-%20Bottle/INK233_zpseb03dbfd.jpg

Figure 10.
Bleed- Show-Through on Staples White.
(Reverse of Figure 7.)
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Monteverde%20Brown%202013%20-%20Bottle/INK241_zps197a84f7.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• No.

A go-to ink?

• Not so much.

USE

Business:
(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• Despite being aware of the remote possibility that there might be a Brown ink suitable for general business correspondence, MBrn isn't it. Even for casual lateral notes to a known person, the ink seems a bit too cozy for business use.
  • For personal work product, the somewhat absorbent toothy copy/print papers would give a fair result, but two-sided use of lowest bidder papers seems rather unlikely, especially when the ink is run dark enough to give it the stability on the page necessary for a longer read.
  • Not the best pick for those who prefer their work have a consistent appearance across a range of papers with different properties.
  • Possible for a bit of forms work, especially to indicate non-error anomalies, though the S/DTs might not support rapid handling.
  • Not enough zip for mark-up & editing, nor enough zip for error correction & grading.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• I'd rather not - the hue is not so unique that nothing else would do the necessary, especially when the appearance is sensitive to paper choice, and might not perform up to expectations on presentation-grade papers.
  • The odd Smear/Dry Times could lead to inadvertent unexpected smearing when working on random places on a sheet.
  • As a watercolour, the lack of water resistance may appeal to those who choose media for sketching that can be sponged away as the work progresses.

Students:

• The combination of a narrow range of matching papers, tendency to bleed- show-through lowest bidder papers, and lack of water resistance seems unlikely to earn this candidate a passing grade.

Personal:

• This seems the most likely place where MBrn can be used.
  • As mentioned above, it does have a cozy feel to it, yet is not intrusive. As I have found, recipient/s who have grown accustomed to my Blue-centric choice of inks rather welcome something in Brown.
  • While personal writing allows one to use whatever pen+paper combos are to hand, it seems MBrn cannot take full advantage of a broad selection.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Variable.*
  • The hand-off of ink from nib to paper seems a bit odd.

Nib Dry-Out:

• A bit on the nib tips after about 10 minutes uncapped.
  • Ink in the feed was ready to go.

Start-Up:

• Immediate from capped pens.
  • With confidence.

Lubricity:

• Slightly high.
  • A good balance of feedback to smoothness.

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining (pen):

• Not seen after three days.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Staples: See Figure 10.
  • HPJ1124: A few freckles from the 45.
  • All other pen+paper combos used were greenlighted for two-sided use.

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• Not seen on papers used.

Aroma:

• Not noticed.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not evident.

Clean-Up (pen):

• Plain water removed the vast majority of inky residue, with my gentle DIY 0.5% ammonia + Photo-Flo clean-up solution releasing but a whisper of residue. I suspect that a more rigorous/lengthy plain water clean-up could be effective, hence avoid exposure to stronger chemicals. YMMV.

Mixing/Blending:

• No stated prohibitions.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

Smear / Dry Times:

• Perhaps the most unusual set I've produced to date.
    • HPJ1124: Within a 5 second interval it went from not dry to fully dry, but only after 25 seconds. Most inks show gradual run-up to the dry state.
    • Rhodia: Just plain goofy.
    • Staples: As expected.

__ __
* Member Miles R. depicted anomalous behaviour @ Post № 27 in my Review of the 2010 MBrn cartridge ink, which is more relevant to the current version of the bottled ink. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/176304-monteverde-brown/?p=2729843

THE LOOK

Note: The hue of fresh ink shifts from nearly Brick Red to that depicted above within ~20 seconds on papers used.

Presence:

• Another middling warm Brown.

Saturation:

• Middling.
  • A fully-inked line is within range on some papers.

Shading Potential:

• Low.

Line quality:

• Highly dependent on paper.
  • Papers with surfaces from smooth to slightly toothy were very good.
  • The hard laid surface of the G Lalo proved a challenge for MBrn.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • Rather less than expected.
  • Papers used:
    • High.
    • Deceptive - there is an unexpected dependency on both absorbency and surface, which will influence line quality, consistency of line width, and variations in value (light - dark) not attributable to shading.

Malleability:

• Poor.
  • Limited by the need to be fussy about paper, and changing pens didn't seem to do all so much, let alone off-set paper limitations. However, only three pens were used, not my typical six, so I await Replies of other Members to add depth & detail by sharing their experience with this ink.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Those with a bit of tooth and more absorbent than usual, with good resistance to bleed- show-through.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Hmm.
  • As much as this ink is fussy about papers, I thought only the G Lalo, with its hard laid surface, would be a trip wire paper.

Copy/Printer Paper:

• About as expected, so one should watch for bleed- show-through and a bit of line-width gain.

Tinted Papers:

• As ever Brown inks seem to go well on warm papers.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Not so much as finding papers that match the ink, so rather than jumping to a coated paper, wove papers may well be in the cards.

ETC.

Majik:

• No.

Billets Doux?

• Not from yours truly.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick

• Parker 45 on Staples.
  • Nothing special going on here, so its pretty much up the middle, combining the medium width line with an absorbent paper.
  • That brings the warmth down a bit, yet the coverage is low enough so the ink can still cast a glow.

Yickity Yackity:

• Well OK, this is a let down from the previous cartridge version, so my objectivity is stretched a bit thin, as is the extent of the sampling - I just couldn't get rolling with MBrn.
  • This one is wearing shoes that fit too tight, so won't be invited to danse jusqu'à l'aube.
  • Ah kushbaby, yet another reformulation that went sideways.

= ==== =

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Pens
Written Samples:
A. Pelikan P99 Technixx + steel F nib.
B. Parker 45 + g-p steel M nib.
C. Sheaffer Prelude + factory stock steel Stub nib.
Lines & labels: OMAS Turquoise from a Pilot Penmanship + EF.

Papers:

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G. Lalo Verge de France: natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Royal: 25% cotton, laser/inkjet copy/print, 'letterhead', 90gsm.
  • Staples: house brand multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.
  • Staples Creme: 'Pastels' house brand, multi-use copy/print, USD9/ream, 20lb.

Imaging

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobouquet, IP.Board s/w, and your viewing gear.

Other Inks

• This Review uses the same Written Sample format, atrocious handwriting and some pen+paper combos common to most of my previous Reviews of Brown inks. Consequently, ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of browser windows is supported.
  • Should that functionality not meet your requirements, I welcome your PM requesting a specific comparison. Additional scans may be produced, but the likelihood of additional inky work is quite low.

Fine Print
◊ The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.
◊ Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.
◊ As always YMMV, due to differences in materials, manner of working, environment, meteor showers, etc.
◊ Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Monteverde Brown Bottle Sandy1 2013

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• chromantic

• amberleadavis

• Newjelan

Hi all,

Here's a mini comparo of the 2010 cartridge version to the 2013 bottled version. I leave it to other Member/s who may be so inclined to review the 2013 cartridge version.

L - 2013 Bottle. R - 2010 Cartridge:

As there is quite a difference in value (light - dark), the swabs are off-set by one pass, with the 2013 bottled ink shown in 2 passes, 1 pass & diluted swabs, against the 2010 cartridge ink shown in 3 passes, 2 passes & 1 pass.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Monteverde%20Brown%202013%20-%20Bottle/INK243_zps1d577af9.jpg

Bye,

S1

Hi - "cosy" or not, I think you've steered me away from this particular brown! But even your more ambivalent reviews are such fun to read. Thank you!

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Hi - "cosy" or not, I think you've steered me away from this particular brown! But even your more ambivalent reviews are such fun to read. Thank you!

Hi,

As ever, I'm glad to enable inky enjoyment by allowing one to avoid potentially unrewarding acquisitions.

One's preference as to the appearance of an ink is very much a personal matter, and makes for great discussions. Discussions become less interesting when the topic is about work-arounds to an ink's performance profile.

As ever, I look forward to Replies from those who just lve MBrn to share their happy experiences.

Bye,

S1

Thank you, Sandy!

I have to say that I am not much for brown inks... until GeoDuc introduced me to the wonder of MB Toffee (wow). I have been reasonably happy with the performance of the Monteverde inks but the colors haven't really made me breathless. Maybe, someday.....

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks Sandy, IMHO Monteverde inks are watery and just a little blah.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I haven't tried all the Monteverde inks, yet they do seem to have a low dye load which suits quite a few people accustomed to major marques such as Waterman, Parker & Sheaffer.

Considering the number of new inks coming to market, all striving to stake-out their patch, I thought the Monteverde inks would not be so 'up the middle'.

Bye,

S1

Thank you, Sandy!

I have to say that I am not much for brown inks... until GeoDuc introduced me to the wonder of MB Toffee (wow). I have been reasonably happy with the performance of the Monteverde inks but the colors haven't really made me breathless. Maybe, someday.....

Hi,

You're welcome!

I wasn't much for Brown inks until my bottle of Parker Penman Mocha ran dry, then I started on a voyage of discovery to search for a replacement. Yet again, my curiosity got the better of me, and the notion of having one Brown ink was left in my wake.

MB Toffee certainly is a most rewarding port of call, against which Monteverde Brown seems an unremarkable stop-over where they roll-up the sidewalks two hours after sunset.

Bye,

S1

MB Toffee certainly is a most rewarding port of call, against which Monteverde Brown seems an unremarkable stop-over where they roll-up the sidewalks two hours after sunset.

Bye,

S1

Wow, now that is a poetic description of a great ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Wow, now that is a poetic description of a great ink.

:happyberet:

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the great review, Sandy1, which I stumbled on when clinking on random reviews of brown inks.

I actually find the color rather appealing - a nice medium brown, not too dark or too light, not red/orange/yellow; it was really fig. 7, Staples White, that sold it for me. :thumbup:

Just ordered both a bottle and cartridges from ebay today.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Thanks for the great review, Sandy1, which I stumbled on when clinking on random reviews of brown inks.

I actually find the color rather appealing - a nice medium brown, not too dark or too light, not red/orange/yellow; it was really fig. 7, Staples White, that sold it for me. :thumbup:

Just ordered both a bottle and cartridges from ebay today.

Hi,

My personal paper pick was also the Staples multi-use, with its bit of tooth and good absorbency.

As this Review was originally posted in 2013, It would be appreciated if you would let us know if the ink has changed:

> basic appearance / hue

> water resistance

> smear/dry times.

And anything else that you care to add. :)

Bye,

S1

Sure thing. :)

The bottle should arrive by the end of the week but the carts are coming from Germany so a couple weeks there. I'll wait 'til both are here so I can do a side by side.

• 2 weeks later...

My review is up. :)

• 10 months later...

Thanks for that updated review, Sandy1. I got a bottle of Monteverde Brown more than a year ago and have finally gotten around to testing it out.

It is a curious ink. I thought I was seeing it change in the second or two after the pen's nib had moved on from what I'd just written with it, and from what I've read from your review this version of the ink does change a bit before settling down.

I've used it on a spiral notebook that has no indication as to where it was made. I bought the notebook during a "back to school" sale a couple of years ago. It definitely has inexpensive paper in it.

I do like the look of the Monteverde Brown. I haven't done my usual soak test on it yet, but from what you've written this ink will fail that test. The box the 90 mL bottle came in says that they have that special ITF formula. Yeah, that may well be what's screwing it up and making it behave oddly. I do not mind the mini-metamorphosis right after the line goes onto the paper, I would mind having everything I've written disappear due to a spill :( . I'm testing it in a Pelikano Jr. a very easy fountain pen to clean out. I have not had the ink drip from the nib or feed yet. I'm only testing it on a half filled short international cartridge, so that may relate to why I'm not seeing any leakage from the pen.

I may look around for something to mix it with. I've mixed a lot of inks that are not water resistant with various Noodler's inks that are very water resistant. Makes for a certainty that a spill won't drive me nuts. Also, such inks become tamper evident. Anyone attempting to change or erase what I've written will find that the tampering is easily detected because they will have changed the ink color.

Well, I am off to do the soak test now.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell