Duke D2-1 + M+Arabic Nib + Pen Case

cbaytan

Just got the item like 20USD + 6USD shipping from ebay seller (combinedshipping). Page stated it comes with an M and a calligraphy nib and a two pen leather pen case. I made the purchase just for the pen case because I don't like snap on caps.

The set arrived in about 10 days, from China to Turkey. Pen came without box, and the extra nib with section was just trowed inside the other section of the case. Originally between F&M writing nib (7/10) turned out to be very good wet M writer after I squeezed the nib with a pliers lightly from the shoulders after covering nib with a thick folded towel paper. Trying to increase ink flow with fingers jsut didn't worked out, because the nib material is very stiff. Now it has a very pleasing writing experience for me right now. Before modding the nib it was writing like a wet F nib (6/10), that was good too even smoother to me. Both nibs are smooth but I feel a pleasing drag with the nibs on cheap copier papers I generally use, actually I like the drag, it's not glassy smooth but it writes like a very good pen. Calligraphy nib came with its own section, so you don't have to remove the nib when you changing them, just screw another section with the nib you desire, even without emptying the converter. How do I clean the removed nib and the section without converter? With a it's tip cut air blower of course. Nibs are steel, not gold (surprise, surprise!), and not springy, it's called nail type of nibs in here just like Lamy steel nibs, after modding the M nib I can get barely visible line variation.

fpn_1383921839__duke-fp-01.jpg

Pen Body (8.5/10) has I thing very clean looking metal/resin like body, looks and feels like an expensive pen, except the cap band, (now that looks mediocre, why there are no three ring bands like MB? :) ) considerably heavy pen, cap has a tight plastic inner cap in it, very good for nib drying issues. The only thing I didn't like this pen is the converter (2.5/10), it's flimsy, turning knob doesn't turn the piston instantly, it hesitates a one or one and a half turn sometimes. But unlike the other higher quality standard converters I purchased (for $5), it has a tiny plastic ball in it obviously for easing the air bubble movement inside the converter.. Total pen looks 1-2 mm taller than Ahab when the cap is closed and probably the diameter is the same. Posting is most tight and secure posting I've ever seen, but the pen becomes very heavy obviously for me.

Clip is high quality (8/10), tight (8/10), but that too tight like Italix clip (9.9/10)..

And the calligraphy nib, interestingly it is a very wet and thick Arabic nib (thick horizontal, thin vertical lines) very interesting nib to play with. Now I understand how to make some upside down trigon shaped ink swabs now.

The case doesnt smell like leather, but it looks like leather, but it certainly looks like a decent pan case to me. Left side of the case is big enough for my Noodlers Ahab, but it would be hard to fit taller pens especially with longer caps might be problematic.

fpn_1383921907__duke-fp-02.jpg

So my conclusion is: This is a high quality pen with the lacquer covered metal body, section and steel nibs, converter can be replaced for 5$ anytime if needed, if cap was a screw cap, this would be good candidate as my workhorse (For a while of course no need to leave my other beauties alone). Very good pen/case set for student for whom are not afraid of snap-on caps like me. Do I recommend this pen? Absolutely definitely, a metal body, two nibs one is arabic, and a pen case. Oh, boy get'em now, I think this deal is a steal.

I believe there is no problem with giving the current sale link, if there is I can remove it anytime.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/181086794465?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Best wishes to all..

Can.

P.S. Conflict of Interest: No affiliation whatsoever with ebay nor seller etc etc.

Edited by cbaytan

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cbaytan

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days