In Memoriam - My Custom Nakaya...

mongrelnomad

On the 9th October 2012, I lost my best friend. Sufi - a brown and white mongrel, found by my wife abandoned on a building site days after the millenium - passed away after a long debilitating illness.

Sufi:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3135/3092571543_dac8151c42_z.jpg?zz=1

Chloe (our younger dog):

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5265/5686954314_e410909894_z.jpg

I contacted Jonella at Classic Fountain Pens and after a long exchange with both her and David, I asked for a pen depicting Sufi and Chloe chasing away a crow. This would kill two birds (oh god, a pun!) with one stone - the crow symbolising death, and the chase being one of their favourite shared activities. After a few weeks, a sketch arrived from Nakaya and I quickly gave the go-ahead.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7333/10223660393_165dd3446d_c.jpg

Nearly a year later I received an eMail telling me the pen was in California. A week later, it was in my hands.

Initially, I could not have been more disappointed, though I couldn't explain why. I put it aside and thought deeply for quite a few days; I spoke to my wife and talked through how upset I was and she made me realise that my expectations had been wildly unrealistic. In some crazy way I had hoped - expected even - that the pen would bring Sufi back, or at least all those little intangibles - her smell, her mannerisms, the feel of her hair, her weight, her mass - that I miss so deeply.

I have a very wise wife.

And so, over the past week I've been trying to look at the pen with less loaded eyes. As always with Nakaya it is exquisitely crafted; it is also a pen which really captures the soul of both dogs at their best. And it is a beautiful and fitting memorial to a dear lost friend, one who will never return.

Funny how acceptance feels a lot like forgetting.

Anyway, here it is. I hope you like it.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3707/10223561075_d8c85a3f7b_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/10223576916_2ac75646f2_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7373/10223480144_6188c9498d_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7350/10223664523_7a22a9d012_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8255/10223664853_9b772d54e8_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5477/10223561735_23c1fbebb1_z.jpg

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mongrelnomad

• swanjun

• DanF

• jde

I just lost my beloved 16-year-old kitty, Zippo, yesterday, so this post made me cry. It's not Sufi and can never be, but what struck me was her jubilant expression on the pen. Maybe that's worth something.

http://soliloquyinblue.mangabookshelf.com/files/2013/10/022-smaller.jpg

I just lost my beloved 16-year-old kitty, Zippo, yesterday, so this post made me cry. It's not Sufi and can never be, but what struck me was her jubilant expression on the pen. Maybe that's worth something.

Swanjun - I am so sorry for your loss.

And yes, her expression, and the sense of the wind in her hair: they make me smile with fond remembrance of the best of times.

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Grief follows no timeline. What a beautiful way to remember the love you shared with your friend.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I am so sorry for your loss. I recently lost my 13-year-old Cocker Spaniel. He was a rescue dog also, and was simply exceptional. I still miss him very much. While your pen can never replace the companionship of your dog, I do hope you enjoy its use. It is a beautifully crafted instrument.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

A beautiful pen, and a great remembrance of a dear four legged friend. Awesome story of customization.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

It says something about a company who will take something on like that. Few companies take the time to value their customers like that. I hope they continue on as a company and don't fall victim to the economic downturn. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Yes, it is the 'presence' of the companion that is missed most deeply; and I completely understand your initial disappointment in the pen. The gesture element drawing of the dogs has been preserved, and their joy in the romp is conveyed very effectively. The crow, on the other hand, is having a bit of an identity crisis (but that was apparent in the initial sketch, and was simply carried forward by the craftsmen). Since he is a secondary character, this is not of great consequence. The important thing is that you have your Sufi back, albeit ever so briefly, and only in memory, when you take up the pen.

Swanjun, I am also sad to hear of your loss.

Mongrelnomad, I know that nothing will replace your four-legged friend and companion, but you have a lovely memorial of her.

Smith Premier No. 4

Hard to lose a furry friend, no question, and no pen can replace that.

However, Nakaya has done an exquisite job of putting thought into reality by way of that sketch and then the pen - I am extremely impressed! Thanks for posting this.

Ken

+1 for the expression on the dogs. It's not Sufi's expression, which might be the subtle source of your disquiet, but as an abstraction of their joy, it captures that racing exultation very well.

Swanjun, I feel your loss. Beautiful cat!

outstanding pen :thumbup: enjoy it

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thank you for being strong enough to post about this pen. Sometimes something you have made for you with such a deep personal connection is painful to write about. The craftsmanship on the pen is wonderful, and I hope it brings you years of joyous memories. Thanks again for sharing.

this is so lovely. both the sentiment and the pen. your dogs are so beautiful too! this reminds me of my dog, who has been gone for almost 4 years now. I still miss him everyday. maybe I should consider remembering him this way!

On October 3, 2013 I had to put down my pup ( the one you see as my icon) who was the best friend I ever had. You will be forever at loss but for the memories of a great dog and the love you shared, never lost. I can think of no more fitting tribute to have in hand than the pen you designed out of that love. It IS a beautiful pen indeed. Write with fondness and the joy only dogs can bring.

Warm Regards,

Ed

PS; That Nakaya think that much of their customers is a wonderful testament to the craftsmen they keep.

Edited by Edwaroth

Wow!! I'm so sorry for your loss. Just reading your story and looking at your pen made me cry. I guess you could look at the pen, and try to think about the happy times you had with Sufi. She may not come back to life in the pen, but she will stay alive in your heart, and perhaps the pen can help you remember that Sufi will always be alive in you.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon