Cult Pens Diamine Deep Dark Blue

colrehogan

After reading a thread about the Diamine Deep Dark Blue, I decided that I had to give it a try. It is a lovely ink. Anyway, see below for the reviews. I did one on copy paper and one on Circa Rhodia. The last item below is an attempt to show the copper sheen that I saw. It looks like the edges of the darker letters have a slight outline. It looks like a scanner artifact, but isn't. It is clearly visible when light hits the page at an angle. I will try and take a better picture of it later. You may need to blow it up to 200%.

post-42935-0-27907200-1381514360_thumb.jpg

post-42935-0-80013300-1381514362_thumb.jpg

post-42935-0-14829800-1381514370_thumb.jpg

I really like this ink.

Smith Premier No. 4

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saskia_madding

• The Good Captain

• colrehogan

• WOBentley

And so do I! Great review.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I bought this ink based on a previous review...and I love it...a really wonderful ink with good flow and lubrication properties and just a lovely color!

I know this is a Cult Pens ink but if they stop carrying it I hope that it will become a regular line ink!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

The color seems fairly close to Diamine Indigo - sort of a middle of the road blue-black. Neither greenish like Quink, nor black-blue like Sailor. I agree Diamine inks have good flow and the colors are highly saturated. Decent price. The colors are especially beautiful with a dry nib.

Diamine Asa Blue is a turquoise ink. Somewhat like Iroshizuki Ku-jaku. Except the Diamine is much more brilliant and less complex in tone (no hints). However this ink's super flow properties do not work in all situations: 1) older pens will burp; 2) much bleed through on thin paper; 3) the stain on your hands will last for days; a stained shirt is a throw-away.

Bob

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

I have a bottle coming to me this weekend with a recent traveler to England ... Looking forward to it!

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Great review.

I've wondered about this, and their brown, inks for a while - the way they're displayed on their website is hopeless and gives no idea of what the inks are like.

After seeing the sample, I'm not grabbed by it, it's more like a Diamine ink that wasn't quite good enough to make their own product range.

• 2 months later...

The color seems fairly close to Diamine Indigo - sort of a middle of the road blue-black. Neither greenish like Quink, nor black-blue like Sailor. I agree Diamine inks have good flow and the colors are highly saturated. Decent price. The colors are especially beautiful with a dry nib.Diamine Asa Blue is a turquoise ink. Somewhat like Iroshizuki Ku-jaku. Except the Diamine is much more brilliant and less complex in tone (no hints). However this ink's super flow properties do not work in all situations: 1) older pens will burp; 2) much bleed through on thin paper; 3) the stain on your hands will last for days; a stained shirt is a throw-away.Bob

Not just old pens burp... I loaded this into an out-of-the-box TWSBI 580 1.1mm stub (a wet writer) and the first thing it did was blob. I emptied the pen straight away to tes it with other inks and had no issues. An EF Pilot Penmanship leaked into its cap too (NOT an especially wet pen), although it's likely this was stored upside-down in a pen case in a rucksack. Nevertheless, it's a bit disconcerting and is making me wary of the ink (especially as the Pilot leak stained my nice new orange Nock Brass town case!).

Otherwise, this ink is a great colour and does show shading in drier, broader, nibs in my experience.

Graham

Edited by axolotl66

Schiet naar de top

• 2 months later...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks for this nice review. It has become one of my favourite blues. Actually all 5 Deep Darks are IMO great inks!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)