Diamine Evergreen

cybaea

I used to go walking frequently in the vast Scandinavian forests, and Diamine Evergreen is exactly how I remember the dark pines used to look. There is something about how the light played on the branches that is wonderfully captured in this ink.

This ink was new to me for the review. I have now used it for a few days and it is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. The scan doesn't really capture how daylight plays on the ink but should give you a general idea.

Special note: This is an unusually wet ink for Diamine. Not excessively wet, but noticeable. Try it in a dry writer if you want a dark green for it; and it seems to me to be especially well suited to fine nibs.

USAGE

DAILY WRITER: Yes. Absolutely. This is a great versatile colour.

BUSINESS USE: Yes. Almost black enough to be used everywhere and makes you stand out from the usual blue-black crowd without being in-your-face about it. And it is not green enough that your British friends will immediately think your letters are the ramblings of a mad-man (well, not because of the ink, anyhow ;)).

ILLUSTRATIONS: For lines and such; probably too overpowering for large areas.

NOTES: Yes, bring it on for both personal and professional note-taking.

PERSONAL: I am less convinced for personal letters: it is just a little too formal, perhaps?

LOVE LETTERS: No.

BEHAVIOUR

(All on a 0-4 scale)

FEATHERING: 3/4 - very good indeed with only slight feathering visible with 4x magnification on inkjet papers using normal nibs.

BLEEDTHROUGH: 3/4 - very good.

SHADING: 3/4

SHEEN: 1/4 - some potential for slight sheen in pools of ink while wet.

WATERPROOF: 2/4 - I am being generous with the score here; the ink is almost obliterated but I guess you can just about read the text.

FLOW: High - this is on the wet side for Diamine and likely to be a good fit for that dryer, finer nib you have been wanting to use with green colours.

DRYING TIME: 2/4

FADING: 3/4 - slight colour change after a week in the window on Rhodia paper only (cartridge unchanged)

REVIEW

Lamy Safari 1.1 mm and Pilot Parallel 6.0 mm on Rhodia No 18 dotpad. Apologies that I am still struggling with the wide nib.

fpn_1376666731__diamine-evergreen.jpg

WRITING SAMPLES

(The text is as now usual from the Office of Readings but from yesterday, the Feast of the Assumption of the BVM, when I started this. Dense prose from both apostle and pope but the words do not matter they are just an excuse to get ink on the page.)

On corporate stock cartridge paper

fpn_1376666927__diamine-evergreen-cartri

On Rhodia No 18 dotpad

fpn_1376666988__diamine-evergreen-rhodia

On Rhodia 'R' No 19 pad

fpn_1376667030__diamine-evergreen-rhodia

Edited by cybaea

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cybaea

• lapis

• fourseamer

• Newjelan

Another good one! I love this colour too and along with their Racing Green and Salamander it's usually in one pen or another. I prefer this colour area to Sherwood Green and Green-Black but both of those certainly have their uses.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Ooops, forgot and added to the computer text above:

FADING: 3/4 - slight colour change after a week in the window on Rhodia paper only (cartridge unchanged)

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

This does indeed have an air of nordic forest about it! I love Diamine Sherwood Green and Umber, I'll have to give this one a try as well. Looking forward to similar reviews of alllll of those Diamines!

Captain, stop flaunting that Salamander, I want some!!!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I've a bottle of the Evergreen that I use to write Chinese. I love the colour as well as Meadow (I use it for stories to my nephew). Green, all of them, is my favourite colour so I will be biased. In any case, thank you for the review and I can't argue with your analysis.

Best,

PanPan

Excellent review to showcase a great color. Immediately added to my wish list. This deserves more consideration whenever the topic of green inks comes up.

Great review. I'll have to order it soon... myabe even tomorrow, along with 3 other of D's inks...

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

very nice green and nice review :thumbup: looks very clsoe to mb racing green with but with a lighter shade

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Funny. I have Diamine's Evergreen but haven't used it in a couple years. Really love that soft pine green.

Going to rectify my mistake by loading up a pen now.

The review is well done! Thanks and keep 'em coming!!

This may be my very favorite green. In my opinion it does not get enough notice. Dark enough for business correspondence. Somber. Photocopies and faxes well. Smooth wet. Saturated color with some shading. A winner.

Great review. Thank you. I like seeing the reviews with different nib sizes.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 11 months later...

Hi Cy

I used to go walking frequently in the vast Scandinavian forests, and Diamine Evergreen is exactly how I remember the dark pines used to look. There is something about how the light played on the branches that is wonderfully captured in this ink.

This ink was new to me for the review. I have now used it for a few days and it is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. The scan doesn't really capture how daylight plays on the ink but should give you a general idea.

Special note: This is an unusually wet ink for Diamine. Not excessively wet, but noticeable. Try it in a dry writer if you want a dark green for it; and it seems to me to be especially well suited to fine nibs.

USAGE

Hi Cybaea...

adding Cybaea under "search" and travelling through those many results is a nice way of passing time

Love the colour of this ink

Peter

DAILY WRITER: Yes. Absolutely. This is a great versatile colour.

BUSINESS USE: Yes. Almost black enough to be used everywhere and makes you stand out from the usual blue-black crowd without being in-your-face about it. And it is not green enough that your British friends will immediately think your letters are the ramblings of a mad-man (well, not because of the ink, anyhow ;)).

ILLUSTRATIONS: For lines and such; probably too overpowering for large areas.

NOTES: Yes, bring it on for both personal and professional note-taking.

PERSONAL: I am less convinced for personal letters: it is just a little too formal, perhaps?

LOVE LETTERS: No.

BEHAVIOUR

(All on a 0-4 scale)

FEATHERING: 3/4 - very good indeed with only slight feathering visible with 4x magnification on inkjet papers using normal nibs.

BLEEDTHROUGH: 3/4 - very good.

SHADING: 3/4

SHEEN: 1/4 - some potential for slight sheen in pools of ink while wet.

WATERPROOF: 2/4 - I am being generous with the score here; the ink is almost obliterated but I guess you can just about read the text.

FLOW: High - this is on the wet side for Diamine and likely to be a good fit for that dryer, finer nib you have been wanting to use with green colours.

DRYING TIME: 2/4

REVIEW

Lamy Safari 1.1 mm and Pilot Parallel 6.0 mm on Rhodia No 18 dotpad. Apologies that I am still struggling with the wide nib.

http://1.2.3.9/bmi/www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1376666731__diamine-evergreen.jpg

WRITING SAMPLES

(The text is as now usual from the Office of Readings but from yesterday, the Feast of the Assumption of the BVM, when I started this. Dense prose from both apostle and pope but the words do not matter they are just an excuse to get ink on the page.)

On corporate stock cartridge paper

http://1.2.3.9/bmi/www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1376666927__diamine-evergreen-cartridge.jpg

On Rhodia No 18 dotpad

http://1.2.3.9/bmi/www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1376666988__diamine-evergreen-rhodia.jpg

On Rhodia 'R' No 19 pad

http://1.2.3.9/bmi/www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1376667030__diamine-evergreen-rhodia-r.jpg

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

I really have come to love this ink. At first, it was just a dark ink. Now I call it my trick ink because after it dries the green comes alive. At least on all the papers I have tried. It looks one way wet and then dries another way.

A really neat ink. One that I would have to buy more of once my bottle runs dry.

Regards,

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

Wonderful review, thank you! It is so helpful to see how inks appear on both white and cream coloured papers. That is such a lovely green!

UK-based pen fan. I love beautiful ink bottles, sealing wax, scented inks, and sending mail art. Also, thanks to a wonderful custom-ground nib by forum member Bardiir, I'm currently attempting calligraphy after years of not being able to do so due to having an odd pen-grip :D

• 1 month later...

The ink can get very dark in a wet writer:

fpn_1411903561__2014-09-28-diamine-everg

• 11 months later...

Thanks for such an exceptional review of a great ink. Your review is what inspired me to order a bottle, and now I use it constantly in one pen or another. Right now I have it inked in my Lamy 2000 broad - it seems the two are meant for each other!

Thanks for such an exceptional review of a great ink. Your review is what inspired me to order a bottle, and now I use it constantly in one pen or another. Right now I have it inked in my Lamy 2000 broad - it seems the two are meant for each other!

Very happy that you like it!

Bye for now.