Barock № 04 - Terra di Siena

Sandy1

☞ Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below. As the patches are neutral Grey, that is what you should see.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/27ddb717.jpg

☞ As Photob*cket has lost the functionality to display linked files as required and includes advertising with linked images, I've embedded the HiRes images. I apologise should that choice slow your display times.

⊣:⊢

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/BarockTdSbottle_zps3b7abe5c.jpg

Fidelity
As I could not find an 'official' depiction of this ink online, it could not be determined if the ink I used is as it should be. (Hello online shoppers!)
Wiki: 'Terra di Siena' http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_di_Siena

Figure 1.
Swabs & Swatch
Paper: HPJ1124.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK144_zps5e75fb2f.jpg
Figure 2.
NIB-ism
Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.
Distance between feint vertical pencil lines is 25mm.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK160_zpsa523466c.jpg
L ➠ R: Elite, P99, 502, 45, NPS, Prelude.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick
Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 3.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK146a_zps3b3e9fe0.jpg
Figure 4.
Paper: Rhodia.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK147_zpsb22ce010.jpg
Figure 5.
Paper: G Lalo.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK148_zpsb2a85ebb.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: Royal.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK149_zps4fd14bbf.jpg
Figure 7.
Paper: Clairefontaine Triomphe.
Pens: Estie, Sonnet.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK150_zps1e26f162.jpg
Figure 8.
Paper: Staples White.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK152_zps589a6929.jpg
Figure 9.
Paper: Staples Creme.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK151_zps3dabb61b.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 10.
Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK154_zpsc61c6748.jpg
Figure 11.
Bleed- Show-Through on Staples White.
(Reverse of Figure 8.)
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK153_zps0890189c.jpg

Hi-Res Samples
Originals are approximately 57x45mm

Elite on HPJ1124:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK155_zps575ea16d.jpg

502 on Rhodia:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK156_zps56cfe1c5.jpg
45 on G Lalo:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK157_zps577c3f5a.jpg
Prelude on Royal:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK158_zps31cfd17a.jpg

Sonnet on Clairefontaine Triomphe:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Barock%20Terra%20di%20Siena/INK159_zps59a73507.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• handgefertigte Tinte für Füllfederhalter. (Handmade fountain pen ink.)

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.
  • Exclusive to Pen-Paradise of Germany. pen-paradise dot de

Daily writer?

• More of an 'on purpose' ink.

A go-to ink?

• When a high performance warm Brown ink is desired.

USE

Business:
(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• I have yet to be convinced that [warm] Brown ink would be OK in the workplace, but . . .
  • When run at the darker values, BTdS has depth, but not much gravitas, so I'd shy away from this one for routine correspondence, other than brief downward / lateral notes to a known person.
  • For personal work product, determining the value (light - dark) of what's written would be essential to achieving high readability, especially for longer sessions; and as shading may slow the reading process, a move to absorbent papers seems a good option, or reach for that wet-ish narrow nib.
  • The writing experience is quite neutral if not slightly austere, yet I found the toothy copy/print papers comfy enough.
  • The line quality is very high, even on the C/P papers, so tiny marginalia are well within scope.
  • The lack of appreciable bleed- show-through on the 'lowest bidder' papers is much appreciated, and supports the option of running this ink from a slightly wet pen to achieve a darker line and increase lubricity.
  • BTdS appears quite warm in the pale to medium values, at which it would be welcome as an alt/aux ink: mark-up & editing of material printed in Black, and drafts written in Turquoise thru Blue thru Blue-Black; and occasional forms work.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• In the lighter values, BTdS would be a very good pick for line charts & graphs, bringing some vibrancy and its crisp clean line quality, though shading may need to be suppressed. For area formats the full range of values could be utilised; and the colour remains Brown at light values - not wandering towards Orange.
  • Typical of inks with a warm hue, the perceived colour is sensitive to the viewing light, so that should be taken into account.
  • As a watercolour, BTdS emulates its namesake to a great extent. There is quite a difference in behaviour of the dyes when exposed to water, which enables one to generate colour gradients by reworking with a wet sponge or brush, overworking with wet media, and/or to removing dye to leave a strong clear Burgundy-Red remnant.

Students:

• A good pick.
  • Much as for Business Use above, the ink would be suitable for general notes at the darker values and at lighter values will do the necessary as an alt/aux ink.
  • The ink is reluctant to bleed- show-through 'lowest bidder' papers, and has high degree of water resistance, which makes BTdS an attractive option for all but assignments.

Personal:

• Certainly.
  • Even though I currently prefer Brown inks that are low chroma and/or those of a more vegetal aspect that lean Green, I find BTdS has that 'certain something' which makes it quite appealing, though it may not be a constant companion. (I'm still trying to expand my palette.)
  • Forget using this ink for pro forma writing - there are too many default Blues on the third shelf waiting to be used-up.
  • As ever with the Brown inks, the perceived hue is greatly influenced by the value; and this ink has a very roomy performance envelope that supports considerable manipulation to get the appearance 'just right'.
  • Not likely to be evident on your display, the ink displays a high degree of richness and lustre on the page.
  • While I think this ink will attract those who have an array of pens & papers who are [OCD] inclined to seek a certain appearance, BTdS is so well mannered that when used with whatever pen+paper combo is to hand the result will be rewarding.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Lean.

Nib Dry-Out:

• Not seen.

Start-Up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.
  • BTdS may darken in the feed of uncapped idle pens, as seen from the 502 on HPJ1124. My bad.

Lubricity:

• Modest.
  • Allows for good feedback.
  • Won't jostle when dancing across a textured sheet.

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining (pen):

• Not seen after three days.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Inconsequential. :thumbup:

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• Not seen.

Aroma:

• Not noticed.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not evident.

Clean-Up (pen):

• Thorough with plain water, but took a bit longer than usual, so adding a few extra soak+flush cycles to one's clean-up regimen seems a good idea.
  • The use of a 0.3% ammonia solution greatly expedited clean-up.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• The radiant Summer of Tuscany.

Saturation:

• Typically low.
  • A fully-inked line may be achieved with little effort.

Shading Potential:

• High.
  • Pleasantly fluid & low-key.
  • Possible from narrow mono-line nibs - even on 20lb paper. :)

Line quality:

• Very high for a simple dye-based ink.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • Just a bit more than expected.
    • The flex-ish nib on the 502 showed railroading to an extent beyond that attributable solely to the inept operator and/or the pen in her hand.
  • Papers used:
    • Greater than expected.
    • Papers that are coated or slick may give results that are not quite as expected, so a bit of sampling is a good idea. (See below)

Malleability:

• Quite high.
  • Even though there is an extended range of the pen+paper combos used for the Written Samples, the potential of BTdS is still under-represented.
  • We see the P99 on G Lalo approach the limit at the pale end, but there is more range to be explored through the use of quite wet nibs, which the roomy performance envelope should encompass. As such, BTdS may appeal to those who have wet pens, yet still like to elicit a bit of shading.
  • The wily practitioner would choose paper before pen, which is not often the case.
  • My reading of the runes is that the absorbency of the paper is unusually important, but the response of BTdS isn't quite typical, so a bit of uncharted territory lay on that heading.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• All.
  • BTdS paper!

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Not seen.

Copy/Printer Paper:

• All trumps!
  • Crisp clean lines, lack of bleed- show-through, and fair shading.
  • One does not need a dry narrow nib to get fine results on C/P papers.

Tinted Papers:

• As ever with the Brown inks, there is a tendency to consider the warm tints, which suit BTdS very well.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Even though the ink performed very well on the C/P papers, I think the high-end papers should be given a fair go. That may entail a bit of sampling to find matching pens to make high-end paper 'worth it', but Figures 4 & 7 give some indication of the pleasures that await. *reaches for the Elco Opal*
  • Another reason to choose a high-end paper is to avoid those that use optical brightening agents to achieve brilliance.

ETC.

Majik:

• Possible, but would likely be quite subtle.

Billets Doux?

• Not quite.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• A bit of an odd pick: the P99 on Staples White.
  • The nib is rather narrow & dry, yet generates a crisp line with attractive shading which suits the line width to a T.
  • The paper is totally unremarkable, but just so happens to match the pen+ink combo. (These things do happen - too often when one is not looking!)

Yickity Yackity:

• I seem to have received more than was expected when I chose this ink. Nothing too 'wow', but BTdS will keep me smiling as I pen a warm thought; and the performance of the ink should cut down on the recycling and shorten the queue of pens to be cleansed.
  • Now that BTdS has settled in, somehow I'm reluctant to look for another warm Brown ink. (?)
  • Ah kushbaby, surely there must be space on your shelves for a small bottle of well-mannered warm Brown, especially if you've also sent P4BBrn to the Mixing Corral.

= ==== =

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Pens
Written Samples:
A. Pilot Elite + 18K Script nib.
B. Pelikan Technixx P99 + steel F nib.
C. Waterman's England 502 (Blue) + flex-ish 14CT 2A nib.
D. Parker 45 + g-p steel M nib.
E. The Notorious Pink Safari + steel B nib.
F. Sheaffer Prelude + factory stock steel Stub nib.
◦ Esterbrook J + 1461 steel nib.
◦ Parker Sonnet + factory stock 18K Stub nib.
Lines & labels: OMAS Turquoise from a Pilot Penmanship + EF.

Papers:

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G. Lalo Verge de France: natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Royal: 25% cotton, laser/inkjet copy/print, 'letterhead', 90gsm.
  • Clairefontaine Triomphe: brushed vellum, 90gsm.
  • Staples White: house brand multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.
  • Staples Creme: 'Pastels' house brand, multi-use copy/print, USD9/ream, 20lb.

Imaging

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobouquet, IP.Board s/w, and your viewing gear.

Other Inks

• This Review uses the same Written Sample format, atrocious handwriting and some pen+paper combos common to most of my previous Reviews of Brown inks. Consequently, ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of browser windows is supported.
  • Should that functionality not meet your requirements, I welcome your PM requesting a specific comparison. Additional scans may be produced, but the likelihood of additional inky work is quite low.

Fine Print
◊ The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.
◊ Ink does not require a label/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.
◊ As always YMMV due to differences in materials, manner of working, environment, gravity dimples, etc.
◊ Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Sandy1 Barock Terra di Siena Sienna Brown Ochre 2013

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Sandy1

• txomsy

• lapis

Fantastic review as usual ! I think you're going to have to make a full time job of this :). I find myself not considering inks if you haven't reviewed them, as silly as that sounds. So please purchase every ink known so I can give more inks a chance !

+1 on Sandy1 purchasing and reviewing every ink ever made. :D You are the best, Sandy1!

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Fantastic review as usual ! I think you're going to have to make a full time job of this :). I find myself not considering inks if you haven't reviewed them, as silly as that sounds. So please purchase every ink known so I can give more inks a chance !

Hi,

Many thanks for your kind words!

I reckon my current primary employer would have me clapped in irons if rumours were to circulate about my leaving to pursue a career as an Ink Reviewer.

Believe me - there are plenty of other fabulous Members contributing excellent Ink Reviews and who reply to the Reviews. So no need to wait for my tuppenceworth before heading out on an inky adventure.

Bye,

S1

+1 on Sandy1 purchasing and reviewing every ink ever made. :D You are the best, Sandy1!

Hi,

I really am flattered, but to avoid future disappointment you may choose to lower your expectations soonest. :D

Bye,

S1

i like this brown color, though i'd prefer a tad more dark in shade for everyday writing. but i like brown inks in general.

-rudy-

I hate it when I push the wrong button.

This brown ink has just hit my now, 9 ink needed next list. It costs the same as Waterman, in Germany.

I went to the company Sandy mentioned, which offers different Japanese ink in the US section than they do in the German section. For a second I thought I'd get Japanese ink 'cheap'.

I had never heard of this ink company nor those I made bold, italic and underlined.

Thanks for the 'link' They have 7 other inks from this company....and some 4 'standard' inks also from this company.

20 inks from Standardgraph, 3 Cleo Skribent inks, 6 Lindauer inks

4 'exclusive' inks from a German ink maker...wondering if it's DA.

Japanese ink, Wancher Colorful Silk Road ....some are listed in the ink reviews.

Then in the paper section..... :puddle: :thumbup: well won't quite say :notworthy1: But pretty close.

I'm book marking that place now.

Sandy are you going to be doing any more of the Barock inks? Like antique blue?

"Hey wifey, time to go shopping for your fall outfit......7 bottles of ink for that, 6 for that, and 5 packages of paper".... :happyberet: After all a man's got to be fashionable also.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Oooh.

Scans are scans, but there is indeed something coming though, a bit of dimension, je ne sais quoi. It must be smashing in front of one's eyes. Yep, this is on my list too.

Another gold-standard review, Miss S. :thumbup:

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Interesting color, great review, as usual. Thank you!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

i like this brown color, though i'd prefer a tad more dark in shade for everyday writing. but i like brown inks in general.

Hi,

This one seems to run a bit on the pale side, yet doesn't misbehave when run from a wet pen onto absorbent paper.

For everyday writing or longish letters, I'd prefer a darker value as well, similar to what the Parker 45 gave us on the Staples & Royal papers.

Bye,

S1

I hate it when I push the wrong button.

This brown ink has just hit my now, 9 ink needed next list. It costs the same as Waterman, in Germany.

I went to the company Sandy mentioned, which offers different Japanese ink in the US section than they do in the German section. For a second I thought I'd get Japanese ink 'cheap'.

I had never heard of this ink company nor those I made bold, italic and underlined.

Thanks for the 'link' They have 7 other inks from this company....and some 4 'standard' inks also from this company.

20 inks from Standardgraph, 3 Cleo Skribent inks, 6 Lindauer inks

4 'exclusive' inks from a German ink maker...wondering if it's DA.

Japanese ink, Wancher Colorful Silk Road ....some are listed in the ink reviews.

Then in the paper section..... :puddle: :thumbup: well won't quite say :notworthy1: But pretty close.

I'm book marking that place now.

Sandy are you going to be doing any more of the Barock inks? Like antique blue?

"Hey wifey, time to go shopping for your fall outfit......7 bottles of ink for that, 6 for that, and 5 packages of paper".... :happyberet: After all a man's got to be fashionable also.

Hi,

I'm glad you are so enthusiastic about BTdS!

It seems that for me Brown inks really need to have a 'certain something' in addition to their basic hue to make them attractive. It is a fine introduction to Barock, a Desden ink maker since 1826.

Yes indeed, the Vendor does have an impressive array of products seldom seen from a single online source.

I do have the Barock № 06 Antikblau. If you wish, I can certainly post a set of swabs & a single pen+paper sample in the ICS&T Forum. As there are several other inks clamouring to strut their stuff on FPN, a Review will be forthcoming but not right away.

I hope your wife has taken special care in choosing her Autumn ensemble.

Bye,

S1

I also hate it when I push the wrong button.

Edited by Sandy1

Sandy,

There is no hurry about testing Antique Blue. It did though look interesting.

A single pen and swab would do fine...M nib? :blush:

We are indeed living in the golden age of inks.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 years later...

What a beautiful brown!

Unfortunately, Pen Paradise tells me that Barock went out of business in 2013 and was absorbed by the Octopus company (including the chemists) which offers a mixing kit that includes cyan, magenta, yellow and black. So, no Brown No 04. :(

Paradise still has 2 bottles of the Brown No 04 left but they're out of my price range.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 4 years later...

7 years later the wife points out this ink and the other five from that company, that she stumbled across. As soon as I dither .....I don't do red inks, not good for ink windows.

Two grays, two blues and that brown.

Greys seem to grow on one..........and I've not used a blue in quite some time, and I do like that brown.

Got to look up that green also....but don't seem to be offered any more. :mellow:

I had once said......one can change one's mind.....and it's not as hard as advertised, 'Who needs a green ink?' :wacko:

Then I got an open half used bottle of Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green...that year I got 14 other green-greenish inks.

...R&K Verdura is a nose ahead of MB Irish Green, and a neck in front of the sadly discontinued Brilliant Green. Those are green-green inks. At the cost of MB ink, I do recommend R&K to the max. :notworthy1:

Everyone wanted another dull dark green that didn't shade so Pelikan gave the customer what he wanted and also discontinued a fine shading ink.

There are more folks that don't like shading inks that I can shake a stick at. :wallbash:

GvFC's Moss Green compares well with the new Pelikan 4001 dull green non-shading ink....if so, then Pelikan's dull green 4001 is a much cheaper buy.

The company had been huge in DDR era, with 400 workers.....then in 2005 it went bankrupt with 12 workers.

They seem to offer 6 inks now.... at.....

logo.png

This brown ink and a zementgrau ink were out of stock. The antique blue could be had for E7.75...plus postage............postage from German is dirt cheap....compared to what Congress (&UPS&FedEx) did to the USPS.

So I'll be checking back at the company selling their inks, I do lack brown inks....only got 4-5. :)

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

Somehow I missed this thread before now. Wondering if this ink is still available anywhere, and if so, if it's available in the US -- looks like a nice color.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ruth, they are out right now...I'll let you know, if and when they are available again. I'll be getting some. Two of the three inks I wanted were out. I cheap out in wanting one postal cost instead of two or three.

• 3 years later...

Nov 8, 2023. Just seen on German TV.

Best news is some 6-8 of their inks are on sale at a local grocery store. for €12.95.

So the next time I go...I'll pick up a bottle.

The original company was started in @ 1876 ('36? Wasn't paying attention.), when coal tar dyes came in for a permanent ink. It was once a great big huge company....Big BAROQUE sign as one came into Dresden and left. Huge buildings.

Baroque was a Dresden ink, that got nationalized and was about the only ink in East Germany, and typewriter ribbons and early East zone computer printer inks. .....

When the Wall fell and the W. German government  sold for 1 DM, any company that could be dangerous to any W. Germany company....7-8,000 hour life time light bulbs....vs 2,000 hour die fast Western world light bulbs and so many other factories.

Baroque inks were shut down three times....the original recipes rest somewhere else....but a couple men, one retired man is keeping the old machines running. The other is filling ink bottles one at a time, by putting the tops on and sticking a label on it...as a brand new start up.

I'll have to look it up, an see what inks he's making.

According to Octopus Fluids, they used to sell Barock inks until the company went bankrupt in 2011, when they hired a chemist from the defunct company to start their own production. So, that's another derivative of the original Barock, although modern Octopus inks probably have nothing in common with the original Barock ones.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

I'll give it a shot next month, when the taxman's burden of paying in advanced as retried is is not so heavy. probably Caviar-purple.