Recent Changes To The Montblanc Classique (And Possibly Legrand And 149)

NHsueh

Hello!

I was recently gifted a Montblanc classique fountain pen which was purchased from a reputable store (Penfriend in the UK), so I am sure it is a real Montblanc pen. I have noticed the following changes (2013 at the point of writing), and I was thinking the lovely people in this forum would like to know about the recent changes to the Montblanc Classique fountain pen (and possibly Legrand and 149).

Sorry about the poor quality of the photos. The pen has the gold trim, and the nib is 2-toned.

Only the serial number is etched on the "clip ring" in a computerized font aligned towards the bottom of the ring (not centered!) opposite the clip; there is no "Germany" on the clip ring, unlike Montblanc pens produced in earlier years.

http://imageshack.us/a/img199/6731/0gz5.png

However, on the underside of the clip, there is "Made in Germany" etched; there is no "Pix®" on the underside of the clip ring, unlike Montblanc pens produced in earlier years.

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/2492/y86y.png

On the nib, the gold content is marked as "Au 585" instead of the older "14K".

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/1373/z5k5.png

Edited by NHsueh

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NHsueh

• logantrky

• Paul Raposo

• hoppes no9

I think these changes are for the best. The fakers will have to go through a lot of trouble to modernize their machinery to make up to date fakes.

Thanks for the update.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

From the last picture it looks like there is no GP band on the grip next to the nib. Is this pen definitely a 144 Classic with push on cap, or might it be a 145 with a screw on cap?

Nice informative post, thanks for sharing.

Best

Hari

The pen in the OP is a 145 which is being called the "Meisterstück Classique Fountain Pen" by MB for a long time now.

http://www.montblanc.com/en/brand/writing-instruments/unisex/meisterstck/black-resin-gold/classique-fountain-pen-106514.aspx

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Excellent review, great pics, and very informative post. Thank you, NHsueh :thumbup:

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

I think these changes are for the best. The fakers will have to go through a lot of trouble to modernize their machinery to make up to date fakes.

Thanks for the update.

Or, they can keep making the old version and sell it as NOS.

Here is a clearer picture of the nib, taken from Wheelers Luxury Gifts, an authorized distributor of Montblanc in the UK:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5205/5z3r.jpg

I went to the UK's flagship Montblanc boutique at Old Bond street and took a look at some of the new style Montblanc fountain pens there.

It appears that while only the serial number appears on the clip ring directly opposite the clip, it isn't necessarily aligned towards the bottom; it can be centered. There is some variability. However, the serial number is ALWAYS very crisp and professional looking, and in a straight and level line.

One other thing I noticed is that in the new style (Au 585) Montblanc classique's nib I inspected at the Old bond street boutique the size of the inscriptions appeared slightly larger, compared to the inscriptions on the new style (Au 585) Montblanc classique nibs I saw at Selfridges and Harrods, as well as the one I have.

However, as I couldn't directly compare them, it would probably be my eyes playing tricks on me; the better lighting at the Montblanc boutique in Old Bond Street probably made the inscription appear slightly larger.

On the other hand, it could also be that the size of the inscriptions has indeed changed slightly; Montblanc has been making many small changes recently; the flagship Montblanc boutique at Old Bond Street can be expected to have a high turn over of stock and have the absolute newest pens made. In fact, due to the way inventories and stock work, new features might be mixed with old features in the transitional pens.

I hope this helps anyone getting Montblanc pens, so they won't be alarmed. As long as the pen is bought from a reputable dealer and looks to be of high quality, it should be good.

Very interesting. I sent my 146p in yesterday for nib change to EF and I included a short note about me wanting the new engraving on the nib. We shall see what comes back

<strong class='bbc'>Current Pens</strong>Montblanc 161, 162, 146 Solitaire Silver Barley BB, 146P EF, 149 OBB, Generation BP, Solitaire Steel Doue BP Waterman Edson M, Omas 360 L.E Vintage 2013 B, Omas Paragon HT B, Platinum President B, Pilot Custom 74 B, Sailor King Profit Ebonite B

personaly i prefer the old way but it's normal,when you talk about something so iconic as meisterstucks it's normal that you're afraid of every little change.

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

I went to the UK's flagship Montblanc boutique at Old Bond street and took a look at some of the new style Montblanc fountain pens there.

It appears that while only the serial number appears on the clip ring directly opposite the clip, it isn't necessarily aligned towards the bottom; it can be centered. There is some variability. However, the serial number is ALWAYS very crisp and professional looking, and in a straight and level line.

One other thing I noticed is that in the new style (Au 585) Montblanc classique's nib I inspected at the Old bond street boutique the size of the inscriptions appeared slightly larger, compared to the inscriptions on the new style (Au 585) Montblanc classique nibs I saw at Selfridges and Harrods, as well as the one I have.

However, as I couldn't directly compare them, it would probably be my eyes playing tricks on me; the better lighting at the Montblanc boutique in Old Bond Street probably made the inscription appear slightly larger.

On the other hand, it could also be that the size of the inscriptions has indeed changed slightly; Montblanc has been making many small changes recently; the flagship Montblanc boutique at Old Bond Street can be expected to have a high turn over of stock and have the absolute newest pens made. In fact, due to the way inventories and stock work, new features might be mixed with old features in the transitional pens.

I hope this helps anyone getting Montblanc pens, so they won't be alarmed. As long as the pen is bought from a reputable dealer and looks to be of high quality, it should be good.

Actually, regarding the size of the inscription, I am not so sure now. I looked at my Classique's nib with the LED light from my handphone, and it does look larger under proper lighting. Maybe the size of the inscriptions are the same, its just the good lighting at the Montblanc boutique. I am not sure if its because I want to believe its the same though...

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting. I sent my 146p in yesterday for nib change to EF and I included a short note about me wanting the new engraving on the nib. We shall see what comes back

Has the pen come back yet?

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to bump this thread to confirm the new 146 clip change.

The underside says "Made in Germany" and "Metal" which is centered below made in Germany.

I recently bought a used modern 146 with a damaged feed and a damaged clip.

I turned it into a MB boutique on December 27.

On January 10th I was quoted $75 for 'flat rate 2' + $33 for a new clip + tax.

I picked it up on January 18th and did not realize I was only charged $75 + tax.

Under services provided it does include clip.

When I called the boutique to ask about the charge they said that my repair number was only charged the flat rate.

I don't know if this was a mistake or clips are now included under flat rate service.