Old Style Black Omas 360 Magnum W/ 18K Broad Nib

Penne Stilografiche

Omas 360 Magnum

Appearance and Design - The old style 2 tone nib is quite beautiful, with the arrow design of which Omas has been using since the 30's. The body is made of sleek black resin in a triangular shape, an original and classic design. The bands around the body are impressed with Omas' classic Greek Key trim, a nice touch to the black body of the pen. The clip is a minimalist design, a simple piece of curved gold plated metal. Overall, this pen is very well designed in all aspects, a very nice looking pen. Score: 10/10

Construction and Quality - The Omas 306 Magnum is very well built in terms of durability. The resin it is made of is quite strong, it has survived many drops on the floor. I gave this pen an 8/10 for construction and quality because the resin feels like cheap lite plastic, it looks a lot heavier than it is. Score: 08/10

Weight and Dimensions - The weight of this pen is 29.8 grams (half filled with ink) It is 16cm long capped, 19cm posted, and 14.2cm un-posted. I would not recommend posting this pen when writing, it is very off balance this way. The pen is quite long yet not too heavy. I gave it is 6/10 because it is not very balanced and the triangular section makes it hard to write with. I would expect better from an Omas pen. Score: 06/10

Nib and Performance - Like most Omas pens, the nib is very smooth, wet, and springy. The 18k gold broad nib is a pleasure to write with. This pen has never skipped, it's performance is flawless. Score: 10/10

Filling System and Maintenance - This pen is a piston filler, the triangular design as well as very little lubrication makes it a challenge to turn. The pen it self needs very little maintenance. Score: 08/10

Cost and Value - I purchased this pen as well as the matching rollerball on ebay for a little over $300, which I think is a great value for this pen. I would give it an estimated value of $500. Score: 10/10

Conclusion - The Omas 360 is a great writer and a nice looking pen, but it's triangular design makes it difficult to write with and fill.

Would I buy this pens again. No. Total Score 52/60 - 8.6

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b523/collectiblepens-com/IMG_0663_zps2547f856.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b523/collectiblepens-com/IMG_0683_zpsee98c6be.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b523/collectiblepens-com/IMG_0676_zpsa27c5119.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b523/collectiblepens-com/IMG_0667_zps4b62e599.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b523/collectiblepens-com/IMG_0669_zps2b50681e.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b523/collectiblepens-com/IMG_0678_zpsb0aaf727.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b523/collectiblepens-com/IMG_0665_zps418a6e4f.jpg

My First Draft of the Review (Written in Diamine Twilight on Clairefontaine paper)

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b523/collectiblepens-com/IMG_0666_zps0e0fe6e9.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b523/collectiblepens-com/IMG_0671_zpsfcb03691.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my review, I will try to review a different pen every week. Also, Sorry for the crummy photos, I'm defiantly not a good photographer.

Thanks

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penne Stilografiche

• georges zaslavsky

• rudyhou

• freeboy

While a beautiful pen, I can agree that the triangular shape is a major turn off. Nib wise, how wide is the bold nib compared to other pens?

"SB129 knows his (bleep)"
-Gerald Ford, Sept. 1981-

I always loved that pen but the triangular shape and how uncomfortable many people felt it kept me way from buying it. but still, a beautiful pen :)

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

While a beautiful pen, I can agree that the triangular shape is a major turn off. Nib wise, how wide is the bold nib compared to other pens?

It lays down a thinner line compared to a Pelikan Broad and it is very similar to a Montblanc broad. It is a shame that this pen has a triangular section, the nib is so nice to write with.

—Oscar Wilde

Owning 6 old style 360s, it is one of my favorite pens, thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Which ones do you have? I wish they were more comfortable to use, they are very nice writers. Do you have a group photo? That would be some nice eye-candy.

Thanks

—Oscar Wilde

i've tried an omas 360 at a pen shop before and i found the shape NOT as ergonomic as the brand claims it to be. i didn't find it comfortable to hold and write with. i don't understand what makes a 360 so popular. i prefer omas arte italiana/paragon. a much better pen design for writing. by the way, what ink did you use to review this 360? i really like the blue-black color.

-rudy-

i've tried an omas 360 at a pen shop before and i found the shape NOT as ergonomic as the brand claims it to be. i didn't find it comfortable to hold and write with. i don't understand what makes a 360 so popular. i prefer omas arte italiana/paragon. a much better pen design for writing. by the way, what ink did you use to review this 360? i really like the blue-black color.

The ink I used was Diamine Twilight Blue, it's one of my favorite inks. I just got a Omas Milord Bronze Arco and it is much more comfortable to use and it writes very smooth considering it has a fine nib. The 360 is the only Omas pen that I wound't consider purchasing again.

—Oscar Wilde

Gotta tell you, I love the triangular shape. I have one identical to yours with a medium nib and five or six of the standard sized piston fillers and really enjoy them all. Each to their own.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

I have the OMAS 360 demonstrator and it writes like a dream and has a large ink reservoir. The downside is the shape. I do like this about the pen....it does not roll off the desk.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

The ink I used was Diamine Twilight Blue, it's one of my favorite inks. I just got a Omas Milord Bronze Arco and it is much more comfortable to use and it writes very smooth considering it has a fine nib. The 360 is the only Omas pen that I wound't consider purchasing again.

ah, i knew it looks familiar. i too own diamine twilight blue. and yes, it is a very nice color. similar to noodlers aircorp blue black (well, this one has a tad more green). these two are my favorite blue-black inks.

Edited by rudyhou

-rudy-

Me too, including one of these Magnum (but with a M nib).

The others are a std blue-black HT and four demos (Vision Bronze, Vision HT, Vintage red and Vintage blue).

I find them lovely, triangular grip does not disturb me absolutely but I know somebody is not so lucky (how do you grasp it?), the only thing I finds disappointing is the size of the ink reservoir (expecially with B and stub nibs) and the absence of an ink window (on the non-demo pens). I also would like being able to easily disassemble the piston filler for lubing (large Pelikans or TWSBI style).

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Which ones do you have? I wish they were more comfortable to use, they are very nice writers. Do you have a group photo? That would be some nice eye-candy.
Thanks

I have the 360 Magnum with Rhodium High Tech Trim, 360 Vision Bronze, 360 Colonial, 360 Arctic White, 360 with Rhodium High Tech Trim, 360 Ebony Blue with Gold Trim and 360 Lucens. I will post a pic of them when I will have the time

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I have the 360 Magnum with Rhodium High Tech Trim, 360 Vision Bronze, 360 Colonial, 360 Arctic White, 360 with Rhodium High Tech Trim, 360 Ebony Blue with Gold Trim and 360 Lucens. I will post a pic of them when I will have the time

Nice collection!!! I'm happy for you that you like the 360 section, many of the 360 models are very nice looking pens.

—Oscar Wilde

For me the triangular section is more comfortable than a round section. Here's a group photo showing most of my 360's.

fpn_1347403674__group-capped.png

Edited by raging.dragon

I too love the triangular section, have you tried rotating the nib yet collectiblepens?

The absolute only thing I dislike about mine (a 360 demo), is that I find the reservoir to be rather small instead of Mags who finds it large...

The old style 360 is a legendary pen and I love all of my 360s

Agree that the big problem with this pen is the minute reservoir, especially given its size. It is less than a cylindrical Omas and barely a short international cartridge worth. Such a shame, in my estimation.

Nice review.

I don't have trouble with the triangular section and in fact find it quite comfortable to use (after about 1 minute to adjust; but I do have larger than average hands). I have the Vintage 360 demos (red and turq). And yes the reservoir does seem inadequate especially since they write wet (mine lay a fantastic nicely shaded line; wet but dries relatively fast). The 360's need a new multistage piston mechanism (or something).

Part of the problem with all the 360s is that angle at which the nib is set into the triangular body. That can make it incredibly comfortable to write with or impossible to use. Years ago John Mottishaw tried to come up with a system so people could tell him what angle they wanted the nib set in relation the the body. These pens can be great or impossible to use depending upon how your own hand fits with the angle of the nib to the body.

I disagree about the quality of the plastic. One of Omas' calling cards was how light the plastic was, but nonetheless strong. These are great pens, but too long to carry in a pocket.