Herbin 1670 Blue Ocean

saskia_madding

Man. I was totally underwhelmed with this ink.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Herbin/DSC10710_zpsa08d391b.jpg

It's not that it's a bad ink, but I've been using a lot of delicious Sailor blues lately, and this just can't hold up against them.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Herbin/DSC10711_zpsc568e2ba.jpg

It's chalky and ashy in the light areas, but even in the darker areas the colour isn't very saturated.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Herbin/DSC10718_zpsb0b0fe55.jpg

It behaves acceptably, but I really feel that it lacks any kind of personality, which is important to me in an ink.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Herbin/DSC10713_zps503ee7c2.jpg

It just sits on the page, staring blankly back at me. BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING!

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Herbin/DSC10714_zps264ada57.jpg

I do know one or two people who enjoy washed out blues, and in that case, this ink is for you, because it is the nicest washed out blue I've ever seen. It's just not for me.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Herbin/DSC10715_zpsb4e0050c.jpg

More photos in my album here.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhosea

• Sandy1

• amberleadavis

• swanjun

Actually I rather like this ink. Your review pictures are quite nice. Of course, I don't get worked up over blues. Now purples--that's a different story.

I quite like it too - seems to have nice shading and some richness to it . You mentioned Sailor inks - how does it compare to Sailor Jentle Blue ?

I quite like this - I presume it's not the same as the 'Anniversary Blue'?

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

In my pens this ink is more saturated, a lot more.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

The more I look at this, the more it's kinda growing on me, especially the snippet on Rhodia.

Edited by swanjun

I like it well enough for a medium dark blue, which is not the most exciting of inks. I wish there was more silver sparkle, though. Or water-proofness. Or something to make it really stand out.

And don't get me started on the bottle design ... but that is what the TWSBI ink bottles are for, I guess :)

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Dusky blues should be banned!

:o

:P

:lticaptd:

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I'm with Jay, I just can't get on board with dusky blues that are also washed out. I do like a few dark blues that shade into dusky blue (Check out my Wizard Blue by De Atramentis review!), but if the darker portion isn't saturated, I'm out.

Sailor Gentle Blue looks a lot like this, and I don't like either. But I've used a lot of Sailor Kobe blues lately, and they are ALL amazing.

Hi,

Many thanks for giving us another look at this ink. :thumbup:

I too was underwhelmed. Certainly a good ink, and I don't shy away from using it. I'm still trying to find a pen+paper combo that will bring out the best - fulfilling the tacit promise of a special ink from Maison Herbin. But filling a folio with samples wasn't the intended use . . .

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

very nice color , thanks for sharing :thumbup: looks close to mb royale blue

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I really like this ink and it performs great in my Pilot VP. Very nice, dependable ink. Compared to other blues though, it is definitely not worth the $20 I paid for it.

very nice color , thanks for sharing :thumbup: looks close to mb royale blue

Hi, Georges. I did a swab comparison last year, and I happened to include MB Royal Blue. YMMV, though, since you can see from my writing on this page (all the small writing in is J. Herbin 1670 Bleu Ocean) that it is more saturated here than either Sandy's or Saskia's reviews. My original sample and first bottle were the same. I'm actually dreading a little bit the possibility that one of my other two unopened bottles of Bleu Ocean will be more like what I see in reviews, though maybe the difference is more about how I like my pens set up. Anyway, disclaimers aside, my impression from writing rather a lot with both inks is that there are similarities, but the differences are that Herbin Bleu Ocean is darker and more saturated than Montblanc Bleu Royale.

Edited by mhosea

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Dusky blues should be banned!

Dusky 'ugly' blues are my favourite. :rolleyes:

It actually looks a tad darker than J.Herbin's bleu nuit, which I love, so naturally, I am really drawn to this ink.

I think it's pretty, but not "special." Rouge Hematite was so original and stunning that this seems like even more of a letdown in comparison.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Georges. I did a swab comparison last year, and I happened to include MB Royal Blue. YMMV, though, since you can see from my writing on this page (all the small writing in is J. Herbin 1670 Bleu Ocean) that it is more saturated here than either Sandy's or Saskia's reviews. My original sample and first bottle were the same. I'm actually dreading a little bit the possibility that one of my other two unopened bottles of Bleu Ocean will be more like what I see in reviews, though maybe the difference is more about how I like my pens set up. Anyway, disclaimers aside, my impression from writing rather a lot with both inks is that there are similarities, but the differences are that Herbin Bleu Ocean is darker and more saturated than Montblanc Bleu Royale.

I adore this comparison. Thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I wouldn't say I "hate" this ink, but if I'm being honest, I bought it because I LOVED Rouge Hematite and I LOVE the bottle. I tried to trick myself into thinking that the ink was more than it is, telling myself that it has magical properties--"Whoa! Look! It's purple, but when it dries, it is BLUE!"--but in the end, it just isn't very different than the bottle of Cross Blue that I paid less than $7 for. (And I can fit my m805 IN the Cross bottle, not so much with the J. Herbin bottle). If this color is your bag and you already slurped up Cross, Pelikan, Quink, Lamy, and Sheaffer blues, then this one is like the mega-collector's edition of standard, washed-out blue.

I still say the bottle is pretty.

The bottle is pretty. The ink is pretty. I was just expecting that weird sheen like I got from the Red.

http://sheismylawyer.com/2013-FADE/slides/2013-FADE_182.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY