Parker 51 - What? :)

watch_art

Yes! My third and probably last Parker 51 ever.

Huh? The first one was nice, great writer (not as good as this one) but it was an UGLY green. I couldn't stand to look at it. The next one was a parts pen, black, red blind cap, broad nib. I think it had a name engraved on it. Gave it to an FPNer. I think he liked it. I just didn't like looking at it. This one? Oh my GAWD what a fantastic wet medium nib. It sings!

How did I come to own this pen? A good friend of mine collects 51s and I asked if he had any for sale. He said he wouldn't sell any pens to me. Huh?

He GAVE it to me! YEeha! :) Thanks!

And he couldn't have picked a better color. It's a sort of blue/gray and I absolutely love it.

gallery_41188_26_9573.jpg

gallery_41188_26_15832.jpg

That's the nib. It's a wet medium and it's OH SO NICE. I really like it. The cap is in the back there. It's made of metal. :P (I've had too much coffee tonight)

.gallery_41188_26_12697.jpg

This is my pen again. I like it. :)

.gallery_41188_26_24233.jpg

This is my pen posted. I don't post it much though. It's so comfy unposted. Man what a nice pen.

gallery_41188_26_19264.jpg

Aero filler. Yes that means it's the right kind of 51. ;) I'm not a huge fan of the vac filler. Why not? I dunno. I like this one better though. Maybe it's just the line of the blind cap in the end of the barrel that bugs me. But I don't like them much. Maybe if I had a nice double jewel or something I'd change my mind. :) Maybe I should get one of those fantasy Kullock pens one day. I like yellow, green, and fun patterns (in case any of you are doing your Christmas shopping early) Heheheh... :P

gallery_41188_26_284185.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• Rose Nibs

• barleycorn

• Through the Fog

A good Parker 51 is a joy to write with. Congratulations, Shawn!!!!

BTW, does your friend, the Parker 51 collector, accepting any new friends?:):):)

Congratulations! I've also just recently came into a 51- it was my Dad's. My mother remembered he had one. Well, after 21 years, it still writes beautifully!

Your a pen turner, why not turn a replacement for that ugly green barrel? You've turned so many beautiful pen, you must have a nice blank laying around.

Don't get Shawn started turning 51 barrels. I might as well just hand over my paycheck at that point.

Very nice! You're lucky to have such a generous friend. I've been given several pens, but not anything like that.

Yeah, 51s are the real deal. All the stuff people say about them -- that's not hype. It's no wonder that Parker sold, what, 20 million of them....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You have to love the Parker 51! A little piece of history, a wonderful pen to write with, a relatively easy pen to work on, and a joy to share. I just checked my pen case and am surprised that I now own 7.

Buzz

I am sincerely simpathetic. You can't have one of my Parker 51's either. Sorry.

Are you looking a for a Parker 51 fountain pen, or a cheap Parker 51 fountain pen.

The former gets about one hundred sixty-five bucks, and the latter is extremely

rare.

Good hunting.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Yep, that's a beaut, very nice colour. New sac too, by the look of it.

It's always nice to see when generosity comes full circle, the wheels of the Universe a-turning. Enjoy that baby!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Is this a UK pen?

I was recently given some pens including a trio of P51 Aeros that my friend's father brought from Ireland many years ago. I returned one to my friend and passed on the other one to a deserving person. These two were fine nibs but mine is a lovely medium. More of a medium/ broad and very smooth. Apparently this is typical of the UK pens vs the US pens.

it is more of a braod than a medium I suppose - but that may be how it's set up plus the ink/paper combo.

I don't know where it's from - there are no marks on the barrel.

That's an odd thing, I prefer my Vacumatic 51. I think it's kind of exotic in comparison with the aero. No other pen I have matches it for reliability and it's smooth all over. You keep yours Shawn and I'll keep mine

I got my first 51 in about 2 weeks,it's the classic aerometric black with gold filled cap. Yours is very nice and i love this colour too..

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.