Aurora Style Resin

ttakacs

Aurora Style Resin

Introduction

The Aurora Style Resin is the Italian pen maker's entry-level fountain pen. Cap, barrel, and section are all plastic resin. Color choices include black, blue, and red or, rather, "paprika," the color of my pen; the section, however, is black. Trim is chrome. The smallish nib is steel and can be had in EF, F, M, and B. The Aurora Style is a c/c filler, with a slip cap.

Although the Aurora Style has been on the market for several years, this appears to be the first full review of the "Resin" model. Earlier reviewers, faustulus in 2007 and rollerboy in 2009, reviewed different "flavors" of the Aurora Style: one flavor features a lacquered or plated barrel and cap, another a chrome cap -- with corresponding increased list prices. The "plated" model lists for $175; a "bronze" model for $150; a model with chrome cap lists for $120. The Aurora Style Resin, the subject of this review, lists for a true (that is, sub-$100) entry-level price of $90. Street prices will be lower. The Style Resin can be purchased new at the usual online outlets for approximately $70.

Apart from the aesthetics of the pen -- more on these in a moment -- the earlier reviews aptly describe the virtues of the Aurora Style brand: the nib is slightly springy, the flow is consistent and a bit on the wet side; "pleasant feedback that gives a good feeling of control ... a nib that delivers the fountain pen experience," wrote rollerboy.

Packaging, Appearance, and Design

The pen ships in a cardboard outer box containing a clamshell-type leatherette box. Inside is a warranty pamphlet, the pen, an ink cartridge, and a converter (fitted inside the pen). Nothing fancy, but it's a good-looking gift package.

Lovely cigarish shape. The cap and the clip curve gently towards the top of the oblique-cut top. On the top is an oval-shaped chrome plate, blank. Presumably Aurora eschewed gilting its trademark on the plate to leave space for engraving. No bling; understated elegance.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5463/9329214184_c24b68bb8f.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5482/9326430543_7516d57485.jpg

Construction and Quality

It's an Aurora. Everything is well put together. No manufacturing marks or imperfections noted. The slip cap closes with a satisfying click. Just enough pull is required to remove the cap that it is not likely to open inadvertently in one's purse or pocket.

The clip slips easily in a shirt pocket and holds tightly. It is not stiff; there is a bit of side-to-side play in the clip.

Out of the box, however, the nib of my pen had rotated slightly out of alignment with the feed. It's simple to move it back into place with one's fingers. (I did not try to pull the nib or feed from the section.) The tines of my medium nib were aligned and did not require readjustment or smoothing.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2809/9326418605_0bb3f5a43f.jpg

Weight and Dimensions

Pen dimensions: Approximately 5.4 inches (13.8 cm) long when capped, 5.7 inches (14.6 cm) long from tip of nib to end of cap when cap is posted on back of pen, and 0.55 inches (14 mm) in diameter at widest point on cap.

Pen weight: I don't have a scales but one retailer gives the weight as 0.8 ounces. Lacking the chrome cap, the Style Resin is almost certainly lighter than the other Style models.

In use, I did not find the Style Resin too light; indeed, it felt substantial in my hand. Posted, the pen is well-balanced, the center of gravity located precisely at the cap band.

Comparisons (Aurora Style Resin, Aurora 88, and Montblanc 146)

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2864/9329216312_9346fa649a.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5462/9329212158_d237333b1f.jpg

Nib and Performance

My medium nib is a superb performer. As noted by the earlier reviewers, flow is slightly wet and consistent, nib has a bit of spring and gives feedback.

Although the plastic resin is glossy, it was not slick and the pen did not slide in my hand. In fact, it was warm to the touch and adhered to my fingers. Not sweaty or oily. Because of its all-plastic construction, fingerprints will not mar the appearance of the pen.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5443/9329212970_01caf5a930.jpg

Filling System

As noted, the Aurora Style Resin is a c/c filler. Standard international cartridges and converters will not fit. It has been reported here on FPN and elsewhere that the Aurora Style accepts Parker cartridges and piston "twist" converter; and one FPNer noted that a Lamy Z24 converter, which fits the Safari, also fit his Aurora Style.

Value

As rollerboy wrote, "Bottom line: A model of pen that doesn't seem to get the love it deserves around here on FPN. Aurora calls it one of their 'everyday' pens and that fits. A modestly sized and modestly priced pen, timelessly contemporary in appearance, with a nib that delivers the fountain pen experience. I *like* it." I do too.

Edited by ttakacs

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ttakacs

• max dog

• Tumbleweedtoo

• kpyeoman

Excellent review! A special thanks goes to you for including the pictures and comparisons with the 88 and the MB! A pen worth considering!

All the best,

T

Thanks for the review. I have two of them, one in fine and the other in medium nib width and agree with your assessment of the pen. The fit/finish and quality of the pen is superb, and the nib is springy and responsive which I really like a lot. It definately has feedback which is one factor that may put some people off on this pen. If you are after buttery smooth, then look else where. It's not scratchy at all, but rather you feel the nib on the paper so you know what the nib is doing which is a good thing if you like a really tactile feel.

Thanks for this. Looks like the nib is the same one as the Ipsilon's? Is the Style made at Aurora's plant in Italy, or is it Chinese made?

From what I've heard the Ipsilon and Style share the exact same nib. On the cap ring it is inscribed "Aurora Italy"

Edited by max dog

• 1 year later...

nice review; style>ipsilon

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα