Sheaffer Delta Grip (Satin Gold Finish, Ci Nib)

Jadie

In honor of reaching 200+ posts on FPN, I'm posting a review! So let's get to it. Introducing my reliable Sheaffer!

INTRODUCTION:
About a year ago, I posted a query on FPN under "Looking for A Smooth Italic Nib" (original thread here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/224810-looking-for-a-smooth-italic-nib/?hl=jadie&do=findComment&comment=2391491). What I really wanted was a good pen recommendation, and many suggestions were thrown my way. As you can see, I ultimately picked the cursive italic Sheaffer offered by Pendemonium, and I've loved it so much I haven't felt the need to get another italic since. (I DID buy another Sheaffer...but I'll save that review for another day.)
SheafferDelta0 by Jiadepix, on Flickr
Doesn't seem like much, does it? Just wait and read some more...

APPEARANCE & DESIGN: (7/10)
By itself, the Sheaffer Delta Grip (aka SDG) is rather utilitarian. It's a straight, skinny pen with no frills or flowers---heck, with the cap on, you can't even tell the thing has a nib---it could pass for some fancy ballpoint. (Ironically, according to Pendemonium's descriptions, most SDGs were ballpoints, used for advertising purposes.) Mine, like all the others, was sold NOS.
Honestly, if it wasn't for the satin gold finish, I might not have given this pen a second glance. Still, over time, I've come to appreciate the SDG for its sheer simplicity. This pen was born to write, and it does that superbly---oh, but I'm getting off topic, so hold that thought.
Anyways, it's a shiny metal pen, but it has a quiet dignity about it----some sort of understated, modern elegance (eh, semi-modern? it was made in the 1980s) that doesn't scream "hey, look at me, I'm special!!" but just waits and watches and glows until you need it to do its job. Like a butler. Uh, a really well-dressed butler of a very wealthy family.
One thing that bothers me is the grip section---this jarring black thing with a weird pebbly texture that's a cross between plastic and matte. It looks and feels cheap compared to the rest of the pen, though it doesn't detract from the writing experience and does provide a good grip.
Another pet peeve would be the clip. It's plastic. I think they did this to cut costs for the pen, but why, Sheaffer, why make your pen body in gorgeous satin gold finish and then stick on a plastic clip?! That's like...wearing sneakers with your wedding dress or something. So not cool. =(
CONSTRUCTION & QUALITY: (8/10)
The SDG is a solid, secure pen. It has some weight, but not too much, and the gold finish really adds class. Balance is EXCELLENT---you can even make it do handstands on a table with no support. (Er, maybe headstand would be a better term here...clip-stands? upside-down stands?)
The cap slides on and off smoothly and noiselessly, with just enough grip to tell you when you've securely closed the pen. I love capping and uncapping my Sheaffer---it's so much fun! No twisting, no turning, just tug and pull. Genius.
I've *cough* dropped *cough* this pen a few times out of carelessness, but nothing has happened to it (er, besides some ink splatters inside the cap). It's built to last, and I wouldn't have qualms about dropping it again----but hopefully that'll never have to happen!
Recently I've discovered that teeny specks of the finish have come off the end of my barrel. Not sure if I scratched it or if they're actually ink stains...but it makes me think that the paint job isn't so permanent after all. Well, this wasn't meant to be a fancy pen, so it doesn't bother me, but do keep that in mind if you get one.
WEIGHT & DIMENSIONS: (10/10)
CAPPED: 5 3/16 (~13.5cm)
UNCAPPED: 4 5/8 (~12.2cm)
POSTED: 5 7/8 (~15/5cm)
The solid weight and slim size makes it an ideal match for my small hands. I don't have a scale, but I can tell you that it's lighter than my Visconti Rembrandt and heavier than my MB 146. It's the "just right" bowl of porridge in my soup bowl of fountain pens.
I can write with it comfortably posted or unposted; I do prefer the latter as it allows the pen to rest comfortably against my hand. There is a negligible weight difference with the cap which doesn't affect balance in any way.
NIB & PERFORMANCE: (9/10)
My nib is a medium cursive italic (0.7mm) ground by Pendemonium. Writing with it is like waterskiing across a lake with earplugs----deliciously smooth and wet but so, so blessedly quiet. None of that nasty scratchy business, thanks to the rounded edges of a CI nib.
The nib works well with the weight of the pen so that I find myself writing all day with minimal effort and no hand strain. Joy! And the line variation isn't bad, either.
SheafferDelta3 by Jiadepix, on Flickr

I don't know what magic Sheaffer did with the feed, but it takes all kinds of inks without skipping. My dry J. Herbin, my thick Noodler's, my wet and slippery Diamine/Sailor/Iroshizuku samples...yep, just put them in and they come flowing right out. No wonder I use this pen everyday!

I do take one point off for some occasional skipping I've experienced when writing too fast...I'm guessing this is unavoidable with italic nibs, but eh, it breaks my rhythm when it happens, y'know?

FILLING & MAINTENANCE: (7/10)

My pen came with a standard Sheaffer squeeze convertor, which I like more than the boring C/Cs. Still, I like my fillers to reach maximum capacity, so I use a syringe to refill my pen. I don't have personal experience using the squeeze convertor, but I can tell you it's encased in metal and looks similar to a Pilot Con-70. The capacity is a good match for the nib---meaning I can use it for a few days before having to refill. This is all subjective, of course, though I can say now that I'm a voracious writer.

SheafferDelta2 by Jiadepix, on Flickr

COST & VALUE: (9/10)

I was lucky. I got this pen with a 20% discount coupon from a fellow FPN member, for around $37. The regular price was $45, I believe. Still, knowing what I know now, I'd still buy one today for $45 if I ever lose this one. This pen writes like a dream and has never left my daily carry arsenal. It's a workhouse pen, to be sure, and worth every penny. If they made ones with urushi finishes and got rid of that ugly clip, I'd pick up a dozen....er, to share with everyone else their loveliness, of course!

CONCLUSION: (50/60)

Stop reading this and get one for yourself! It's a Triple S Threat: solid, sleek, sophisticated. And affordable. What are you waiting for?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5471/9293701052_f5a49a7c82_o.jpg

SheafferDelta1 by Jiadepix, on Flickr

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jadie

• pengoddess

• swanjun

• CapeClear

I'm really happy to see a review of this pen! I actually have the plain, non-italic model of the Delta Grip, and it's certainly smooth and wet. It seems to write more broadly than other Sheaffer mediums I have, but that could just be the ink, and even if it's not, that's fine with me. :)

I really love that Pendemonium does these cursive italic grinds on NOS '90s-era pens. I have a yellow Sheaffer school pen with an 0.8mm CI nib that I love a lot, and just recently got a black/white/purple Reform with an 0.7mm CI nib that I, surprise, love also!

(Oh, and what's that pretty brown ink? Ancient Copper, perhaps?)

Edited by swanjun

Yes, if it wasn't for OcalaFlGuy's recommendation, I wouldn't have even thought of Pendemonium. They seem like a very traditional pen company---a good thing, (though filling out the order form required me to do some digging in the website).

And wow, you have good eyes---that's Diamine Ancient Copper without a doubt. =D

Thanks for doing such a great grind job on the nibs! =D

• 2 weeks later...

Jadie,

i ordered my own Deltagrip from Pendemonium a few days ago based on your review. It's winging its way to me as I type. Thank you for your review.

Wow, that's great to hear! I hope you enjoy your new purchase. :)