Nakaya Naka-Ai Arrived For Real!

requiescat

Technically arrived yesterday, but I was...well. I have been under medical watch so I couldn't actually be left at home where I could sign for it. But that's okay, my husband and I went and picked it up this morning. I managed to resist opening it for a few hours before I cracked. I took photos but I think my hands were shaking too much (med side-effect, I should just invest in a small tripod). It's so beautiful! I was terrified I would hate it, or that the balance would be wrong, but the balance feels *perfect*, and the aka-tamenuri is gorgeous. I have a weakness for reds. It's ground to a cursive italic, and I am probably also going to crack and ink it up in another hour after I do some more edits on this damnable talk I have to give in a couple weeks. If the photos don't come out completely horribly blurred (I won't be able to tell until I upload them to the computer) I will try to do pictures, and maybe a writing sample. I hope I like the nib!

Okay, I had better go back to work, even though I would rather play hooky with my beautiful, beautiful new Nakaya.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• requiescat

• Earthdawn

• persco

• avner1812

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! Looking forward to the pics and your first impressions re the nib...

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

Congratulations, requiescat! I can't wait to see your new beauty :)

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Nakaya are truely beautiful pens. I recently bought my first, it was a Portable Kuro-Tamenuri. I do wish the red was more visible underneath the black finish but its still a great little pen. i did a medium soft nib ground to a Stub from nibs.com

I absolutely loved the way the pen wrote, now a week later I ordered a second Nakaya! much at my wallets dismay.

This one is a Aka-Tamenuri deskpen with the matching desk stand. i cant wait to get it

Apologies for no photos yet! I took a bunch...and then have been unable to find my digital camera's USB cable. (I don't understand. Why are there so many different shapes for the small end? It makes it hard to keep track of all those cables. That, or I am stupider than average.) But the aka-tamenuri finish is incandescently beautiful in good lighting, almost seeming to glow. Photos don't really do it justice--I mean, I have seen beautiful Nakaya photos, but that glowingness doesn't quite come through exactly.

No photos yet, but I come bearing a writing sample (B nib ground to a cursive italic for a low angle, 35 degrees):

http://yoonhalee.com/images-pens/nakaya-os-poe.png

Apologies for my wobbly handwriting--fountain pens improve my hand but they don't produce miracles!

Here you go!

http://yoonhalee.com/images-pens/naka-ai-aka1.png

http://yoonhalee.com/images-pens/naka-ai-aka2.png

Although it is even more beautiful in person.

The other odd thing about it is that the lacquer seems to attract dust like whoa, I have no idea. Does someone have a physics reason for why this is so? My acrylic Edison, which is of a kinda-sorta similar color, either doesn't have this problem or else the dust goes all stealth mode.

Nakaya, Nakaya!

AWESOME !!!!!!

I love how that red breaks out . I have a Desk pen and Neo Standard in this color as well. Your right it is very hard to capture in a picture the depth of color it has.

As far as a dust magnet, lol, I know it attracts finger prints !!!

Congrats on the stunning pen.

Congratulations! It's a gorgeous pen.

There has been some discussion about starting a Nakaya Naka-ai Aka-tamenuri club. Wanna join? I got mine about 5 weeks ago. I also got it with a cursive italic nib. Hmmm ... We could start a yet more exclusive club! :lol:

I did find this pen attracted dust and lint like no other. However, this trait seems to have subsided over the weeks. Hopefully, you will have the same experience.

I use my Naka-ai for cursive italic writing, so how crisply it lays down ink is very important to me. On the 4th try, I found that it writes best with Waterman Black, so far. YMMV, depending on how you had John adjust the nib for writing pressure and ink flow.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine. It's become a favorite writer. And I hope the "medical watch" cured you of whatever it was that ailed you.

David

Congratulations! It's a gorgeous pen.

There has been some discussion about starting a Nakaya Naka-ai Aka-tamenuri club. Wanna join? I got mine about 5 weeks ago. I also got it with a cursive italic nib. Hmmm ... We could start a yet more exclusive club! :lol:

I did find this pen attracted dust and lint like no other. However, this trait seems to have subsided over the weeks. Hopefully, you will have the same experience.

I use my Naka-ai for cursive italic writing, so how crisply it lays down ink is very important to me. On the 4th try, I found that it writes best with Waterman Black, so far. YMMV, depending on how you had John adjust the nib for writing pressure and ink flow.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine. It's become a favorite writer. And I hope the "medical watch" cured you of whatever it was that ailed you.

David

Sure, I'd join--what's involved?

I am still learning to use italic nibs for casual writing (I did use to fool around with some calligraphy but find that hard to sustain) so I asked John Mottishaw to err on the side of easier nib use rather than very clear line variation. I'm very happy with the results--there's enough variation to keep things interesting but the nib is pretty easy to handle. I've already written part of ch. 8 of this novel (seen in the photos) with this pen and I'm in love!

what ink did you use? it looks approximately the same color as the aka-tamenuri

Organics Studio's Edgar Allan Poe. Uncanny, isn't it?