Looking For Diamine Suggestions

TheGreatRoe

It's all the Goulets' fault...them and there stupid Ink Drop. They kept sending me samples of Diamine, and they all handled soooo smoothly. So I tried one...then another...

You know how this story goes.

As an excuse to try out JetPens I'm going to order a couple of bottle of Diamine. One will be Sargasso Sea. For the second half of my order, I'm looking for suggestions. Below are the Diamine inks I already have.

Is there a great one I'm missing?

Maybe one with some special property (like Sargasso Sea has)?

Can you think of one I'm missing?

Pumpkin

Sherwood Green

Apple Glory

Wild Strawberry

Majestic Blue

Meadow

Oxblood

Eau de Nil (sample)

Majestic Purple (sample)

Deep Magenta (sample)

Graphite (sample)

Ancient Copper (sample)

Soft Mint (sample)

Edited by dcroe05

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheGreatRoe

• thedeacon

• papabear16

• circlepattern

Top Posters In This Topic

Evergreen is amazing and shades well, one of my favs.

I also like Red dragon, its s deep red, very usable for long writing sessions.

Yes yes, Sargasso Sea is a nice color with sheen.

Consider Red Dragon (always a solid performer for me in EF to 1.9 nibs) and Syrah (beautiful shading).

Edited by Cake

If you want to try a variety of colours, you could get the music set. I picked this up awhile ago and love every one of the inks. Oddly, Wagner is the one I have used the most. It is a very nice olive like colour that shades nicely.

fpn_1389205880__post_card_exchange_small.png

Yes yes, Sargasso Sea is a nice color with sheen.

Consider Red Dragon (always a solid performer for me in EF to 1.9 nibs) and Syrah (beautiful shading).

+1 for both. Syrah is especially nice, one of my favorites. However, Red Dragon may look nice in that FC Model 29 Radiant Red. Yep, me again!

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

Suggestions so far:

Evergreen: My issue here is that out of 7 Diamine inks, 3 are green. Do I really want 4 Diamine greens?

Red Dragon & Syrah: Are these different enough from Oxblood to need them?

Music Set: I appreciate the suggestion but that's a big price jump from 1 bottle.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

You are missing my favorite ink! Mediteranean Blue!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Sapphire. It was my ink of choice until I met Sargasso.Now I have two inks of choice. (Well, not really, cuz I only own 70 inks and at least 20 fall into that category, but Sapphire is in more pens than any other ink.) It is lighter, brighter, but has the *pop* and shading of Sargasso Sea. I am also a big fan of Emerald, which I have in a Pelikan M800 with a vintage nib cut to a CI with added flex. Great shading, but the flow keeps up with the flex and writes at speed. I also like Monaco Red, which is a subdued red-brown color that shades. Although "red", it is brown enough so it is fine for work or correspondence without making the recipient of the note wince or think you are a lunatic.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

I think they are both significantly different from Oxblood. I favor Syrah over Red Dragon. Syrah is a rich burgundy to me. Shades nicely, but subtle. Good for any purpose from business to personal. Red Dragon is one of the truer reds out there. It's not eye searing, but there is no doubt it's red. Think modern fire engine red, not the cartoon version. Does shade some, but not as well (for me anyway). My order of choice would be Syrah, Oxblood, Red Dragon. That said, you have a sample of one of my all time favorites. Ancient Copper. In fact, just got a new bottle last week! Of course, all usual caveats apply here. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

In the Diamine line Damson is one of my favorites followed closely by Syrah.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

My Diamine's are Blue Black and Sherwood Green. Classic Red is nice too (haven't bought a bottle - yet)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

For me, Diamine's Green-Black, Umber and Racing Green (the latter available through www.missing-pen.de) are all phenomenal green options.

The Graphite (a dark gray) is also very classy. Their China Blue is wonderful.

I've never gone wrong wth this company's product.

Mark Polis, MD

"A flourishing style of chirography is nowhere less in place than on a physician's prescription."___1856, Edward Parrish, An Introduction to Practical Pharmacy

What about the yellows and oranges? I ordered 6 of the 30ml bottles in those colors. I don't have in mind every one of them, but I liked the samples I saw from Blaze Orange, Sepia, Sunshine Yellow, Peach Haze, Sunset... Some of them are a bit similar, but since I was so interested in these tones and the price was reasonable I picked them up. I got interested in oranges after I saw Noodlers Dragon's Napalm (what a lovely name). I guess I like dragons. I would have ordered Diamine's Red Dragon if it was not sold out.

Sargasso Sea is nice, but I did find it a bit challenging to clean out of pens. And, don't do that in a white porcelain sink ;) Or, if you do, make sure it's somebody else's sink and do it under the cover of darkness.

I would have purchased a bottle but for my cleaning challenges.

Besides, what would I do with another blue? I have 6 already, and 1 I almost never use. Already have 4 "non-durable" blues: 3 Iroshizukus + MB Royal Blue. My others are Salix and Sei-Boku. Doubt Sargasso Sea falls into the same category as Salix or Sei-Boku.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Whatever you do, don't use Pumpkin Orange. Or don't leave it on the desk. Because apparently, THIS is what happens:

fpn_1370480901__dscn1735.jpg

Why did I link it? Because I don't want to be the only victim of this Dr Who-esque monstrosity.

Original post

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923