2012 Lamy2000 M Vs Lamy Edition2000

hari317

Thanks to a generous tip off by bphollin backchannel on FPGeeks, I was recently able to acquire the coveted Lamy limited Edition 2000 at a superb price. I already had the 2000M that released in 2012. The differences though subtle, were remarkable so I thought it fit to document them with the aid of some pictures.

For detailed information about the Lamy2000 and its evolution variants etc, pls refer to bphollin's excellent article posted both here on FPN and in the Lamy forum of FP geeks.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn307/hari-b/edn2000vs2000m/IMG_8590.jpg

The Edition 2000 has a deeper brushed finish and the color is brighter. http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn307/hari-b/edn2000vs2000m/IMG_8594.jpg http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn307/hari-b/edn2000vs2000m/IMG_8595.jpg

Cap top finishing: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn307/hari-b/edn2000vs2000m/IMG_8599.jpg http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn307/hari-b/edn2000vs2000m/IMG_8600.jpg

notice the rougher clip top finish on the edition 2000, very lovely in fact. http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn307/hari-b/edn2000vs2000m/IMG_8602.jpg

The cap lip chamfer is severe on the edition 2000, yields a nice tactile experience when you run your thumb ball across it. http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn307/hari-b/edn2000vs2000m/IMG_8603.jpg

Finally the pens opened: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn307/hari-b/edn2000vs2000m/IMG_8604.jpg

The makrolon bit in the Edition 2000 breaks the monotony and I much prefer its looks over the 2000M.

The other major differences are in the dry weight of the pens. The Edition 2000 is lighter at 43.3gms and the 2000M is a whopping 54.12gms.

2000M:

• Total:54.12gms
  • Cap:19.68gms
  • Pen without cap: 34.46gms

Edition 2000:

• Total:43.3gms
  • Cap:18.26gms
  • Pen without cap: 25.12gms

The 2000M's filling knob feels mushy, I discovered the reason why, the knob has a lot of radial slop as it threads into the barrel, this slop is much lesser on the Edition 2000 and the regular polycarbonate 2000s. I have no idea about why there is additional clearance on the new model.

Also the complexities of manufacturing a metal jacketed non cylindrical pen. Given the manufacturing expertise and experience of Lamy, I strongly feel that the overlays are deep drawn rather than machined from rod stock.

I hope this comparison review helps.

Cheers!

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• PAKMAN

• kazoolaw

• bbbiswas

Thank you for the clear analysis of the differences between the two pens.

I much prefer the unbroken line of the 2000M without the Makrolon insert, but that is simply a matter of individual taste.

gary

Thanks, Hari. Very nice head-to-head review.

Actually, at the time I was about to go for the 2000m, I had the opportunity to buy the Edition 2000 for a very fair price. I didn't. I like the design of the 2Km better. And having the pen in the flesh, I still think it's a better design. One of the most beautiful pen ever built IMHO. And I kown it's very understated, unluxury looking, but still. What a pen!

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Is this something that is coming out or has already come out and is hard to find?

Edit: answered my own question.

Edited by suits123

Captain Kirk is the man and I don't want to hear another word about it! http://straightrazorplace.com/images/smilies/borg.gif

Great comparison! I love the 2K, and some day one of these metal pens will find their way in to my hands; I think that it will be the 2000m though, as a previous poster stated it, the absolutely clean line fits the design more.

I have a 2000m and considering how much I love my (multiple) 2000s, it really surprised me how charmless a pen it seemed. Nothing specific, but just little things seemed off.

Reading your review really highlighted for me why I have not fallen for this pen - tiny changes, but they make the 2000m far less appealing than the Edition 2000.

Too many pens; too little writing.

I have a 2000m and considering how much I love my (multiple) 2000s, it really surprised me how charmless a pen it seemed. Nothing specific, but just little things seemed off.

Reading your review really highlighted for me why I have not fallen for this pen - tiny changes, but they make the 2000m far less appealing than the Edition 2000.

I was lucky, the Edition 2000 fell into my lap, I could never have afforded what most people ask for the pen nowadays.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

waw you've good eyes!now that you show the external differences i see them but i think i'd never had seen them withouth you

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

waw you've good eyes!now that you show the external differences i see them but i think i'd never had seen them withouth you

thanks! I am glad I could show the differences since I was curious about the same too before I had both pens.

Excellent photographs as usual, Hari. Whenever I see your pen pics, I lose sight of the other tech details. Of course, your tech details are no less inviting. Great job. BTW, the back drop is historically consistent, which is equally appreciated :lol:

Thanks and nice to hear from you Pankaj, after a long gap.

Yeah that mat is now my trade mark. lol.

Thanks for detailed comparison, I am also looking for a 2000M at a reasonable price with Broad NIB,

if you find any please informed me on my below email

amitcshah_cpa@yahoo.com.au

Thanks,

Amit Shah

Very nice comparison! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I so wanted an Edition 2000 but could never come across one that I could affort. I did end up with a 2000m and love it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Very nice comparison! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I so wanted an Edition 2000 but could never come across one that I could affort. I did end up with a 2000m and love it!

Thanks Perry, Thanks to Brandon, I picked my example up for a song.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamy-2000-Brushed-Stainless-Steel-Fountain-Pen-14K-585-Nib-/350793582419?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=5KZNjSR%252B6JGobxz1h2g8a07RvSw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Wow you really did get it for a great price! I was wondering if the value/price of the Edition 2000s would fall after the 2000m was issued.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Wow you really did get it for a great price! I was wondering if the value/price of the Edition 2000s would fall after the 2000m was issued.

I think the pen was simply not described adequately, I had bid much more than what the auction ended at. Prices seem to be steady for the Edition 2000 as listed on the sites that know.

• 1 month later...

Immaculate review and pictures as usual from u Sir ..

I am speechless ..

A sincere request from me to post some pictures covering all fountain pens from your ultimate collection (Indian & foreign make).

I hope to see them soon ..

Your true fan ,

WDP4 BAAZ